PDA

View Full Version : Bones?

Dancing Monkey
03-23-2003, 03:01 PM
Is it possible to do bones in Wings? If it isn't, then can someone suggest a good program to add bones with?

SheepFactory
03-23-2003, 04:03 PM
No its not possible in wings yet.

If you want free , you can try blender.

Or any other software will do. I use maya.

MasonDoran
03-24-2003, 02:14 PM
be aware that you get into export/import problems once you start doing this....

SheepFactory
03-24-2003, 03:50 PM
what import/export problems are those?

I had no problem using wings with Maya and XSI.

blackthorn3d
03-24-2003, 09:51 PM
If you want free and easy you could try anim8or. next to wings it has to be the easiest modeler around and it has bones for animation. blender might support a few more features but overall ease of use anim8or. obj files exports works fine between the 2 as long as the object is solid.

Apollux
03-25-2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
what import/export problems are those?

I had no problem using wings with Maya and XSI.

I guess he is talking about importing/exporting the rigging setup. Each program handle such things on a different way, so once you start rigging on one app you are kind of comitted to end it with that software.

About Blender qualities for rigging: They have more to offer than you could ever need (that's a good thing). I've been using the new (adopted on blender 2.20) armature approach since the day it was realeased and it amazes me that everyday I find new ways to do new things with it.

Probably that is Blender's mayor downpoint... It gives so many options for the user that a newcommer just fells overwhelmed by the software.

Hint: Take it slowly and do some tutorials first before starting to work on the actual rigging of your character.

SheepFactory
03-25-2003, 03:48 AM
I dont see wht he needs to export\import the rig?

once you model in wings take it to blender or whatever and the model stays there till render.

sonix
03-25-2003, 04:37 AM
I've got a feeling that it's the bones that can't be exported.

If you make a mesh in any given application, assign it a bone system with in the same application (software permitting), then pose your mesh/bones.

When you then want to import this mesh into another application, the deformation is not applied to the mesh as it has been by the bones. Also the bones will not be exported either. You need scripts for this to happen.

There is a script that I have used for Blender which applies mesh deformation produced by a bones system, then you can export this new mesh to where ever you need.

My previous experience:- Exported mesh from wings3d, into Blender. Bones and mesh deformation applied in Blender then exported, into 3DSMax for raytracing renders. Why didn't I use Max's bones system or character studio, I hear you ask. Because I don't have Char studio and Blender's system for wieght painting/assigning is far simpler than Max's.

Max won't export or import bones, niether will Lightwave. But most of them will let you use previously made bones systems inside a new project.

Sonix.

Apollux
03-25-2003, 05:01 AM
I think that we are driffing to much away from the original question (Dancing Monkey was just asking for a bone solution for Wings and we kind of started a Blender advocacy thread)

Anyways, for anyone interested and since sonix mentioned the issue, some time ago I was having the same problem (integrating a pose directly into the mesh, so bones wouldn't be need to hold the pose) and theet kindly wrote this script for me:

import sys
import Blender

original = Blender.Object.GetSelected()[0]
if repr(type(original.data)) == "<type 'NMesh'>":
mesh = Blender.NMesh.GetRawFromObject(original.name)
final = Blender.NMesh.PutRaw(mesh, str("Deformed " + original.name))
final.size = original.size
final.rot = original.rot
final.loc = original.loc
final.name = str("Deformed " + original.name)
print "success!"
else: print "error!"
sys.stdout.flush()

In the end I never got to use it because I found another way to do what I wanted, but peopple who used it said it works like magic.

Here is the original post where he gave me the script:

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1373&highlight=kissing

theeth
03-26-2003, 01:25 AM
the code Appolonux posted has some indentation missing.
argh, it looks like I don't have that script on my server. I'll have to put it back online tomorrow. In the mean time, you can just copy/paste the following in a text editor and save it as a .py file, than load it in Blender.

"""
Name: Apply_def.py
Creator: Martin "theeth" Poirier
E-mail: theeth@yahoo.com
Purpose: Apply the deformation of a selected mesh permanently

How: load in Blender and press Alt-P after select the mesh you want to affect.
"""

import sys
import Blender

original = Blender.Object.GetSelected()[0]
if repr(type(original.data)) == "<type 'NMesh'>":
mesh = Blender.NMesh.GetRawFromObject(original.name)
final = Blender.NMesh.PutRaw(mesh, str("Deformed " + original.name))
final.size = original.size
final.rot = original.rot
final.loc = original.loc
final.name = str("Deformed " + original.name)
print "success!"
else: print "error!"
sys.stdout.flush()

Martin

theeth
03-26-2003, 02:27 PM
here, there you go http://www.clubinfo.bdeb.qc.ca/~theeth/Apply_def.py

Martin

HellBorn
03-27-2003, 07:34 AM
Are there any god tutorials on the armatures?

I tried Blender a while ago. but I could not get any of the animation tutorials to work. After I while I figured that the old bone solution had been replaced by armatures. As I could not find any tutorials on armature I gave up...

sonix
03-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Hellborn,

There's a good leg tutorial for IKAs and armatures here: http://madbastard1.tripod.com/

If you follow the armoured character tutorial here: http://otothegardener.free.fr/tutorials/tutorials.htm this covers armatures also.

And a very good one for mechanical armatures here: http://www.selleri.org/Blender/

Hope these are of some help, I found these to be the most useful to me.

Sonix.

wasamonkey
03-27-2003, 04:58 PM
this is the wings forum could you guys please move this discussion to the blender forum as it has turned into a blender discussion and is no longer about wings

cheers

Apollux
03-27-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by wasamonkey
this is the wings forum could you guys please move this discussion to the blender forum as it has turned into a blender discussion and is no longer about wings

cheers

It is done. Thanks Sheep Factory.

HellBorn
03-28-2003, 11:41 PM
Hmmm...
Then why is this forum nowdays named 'Wings 3D & Blender 3d'?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.