PDA

View Full Version : getting attr value from different time in exp.

Danmoreno
07-06-2007, 08:36 PM
hey guys just a simple doubt:
is there a way in expressions to query an attribute value in a time different from current time?? i know how to do it in mel, but does it work on expressions? thanks!

Daniel Moreno
www.danmoreno.com

MikeRhone
07-06-2007, 09:03 PM
I believe the only way to do this in an expression would be to use MEL within the expression (Yuk, I know). If you don't need to dynamically query the time (Like say you know you always want to read a value 6 frames in the past) you could use a frameCache node. The fact you have posted this in the dynamics forums leads me to believe this is a per particle kinda thing, so the frameCache probably wouldn't do it for you either.

If there are other options, I too would love to know.

-m

razorback
07-10-2007, 01:31 AM
I'm pulling this one out of my ass, but you're welcome to try.

Seeing that Maya tries to remember everything, then totally craps out when the RAM runs out, you might consider creating a PP value to store it, then creating a particle disc cache. I'm not sure if user attribs get stored in the PDC. If it doesn't work out you might try storing it in some attrib that you arent using. I'm sure its somewhere in the API that allows you to query the disc cache at a different time.

Good luck. Do share your findings...

razorback
07-10-2007, 05:34 AM
Sorry, just checked. The API at this point does NOT have any commands to read pdc directly. There however is an app that comes with maya called readpdb. What you need to do is use the dynExport command and write out files in .pda or .pdb. Then use the app to read the contents.

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2007, 05:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.