PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Questions

FrozenSun
07-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey everyone. Not that long ago i purchased Foundation 6.0, so i am new to Softimage (switched over from Maya). I am aware that foundation has cloth but is it very basic, and how well would it be compared to say Maya Unlimited's cloth or is it almost the same. It's hard to find documentation about that aspect of foundation. Oh and also for 6.01 would one un-install 6 and just download and install 6.01?

Many thanks,

FrozenSun

oglu
07-07-2007, 10:44 AM
you can install both at the same time...
the xsi foundation cloth is realy basic...

ThE_JacO
07-07-2007, 06:53 PM
you can install both at the same time...
the xsi foundation cloth is realy basic...

it might not be syflex, but it's far from very basic, and it's done forever several things that other engines/applications are STARTING to catch up with now.

the main downside is that it's relatively slow, and the way it's managed can be clunky at times, as it's a very old piece of design, but the stability of the solver and the quality of the results place it in a basket that's not basic sorry :)

I still use it for things that syflex, several years after fftsw, still refuses to do.

The reason why you get it as a freebie in a 500 bucks app is that it's a discontinued piece of developement, not that it's meant to be a lite version of cloth.

FrozenSun
07-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know that the cloth is fairly good so i dont have to upgrade for Syflex for my needs.

mocaw
07-08-2007, 08:06 PM
No offense...but you really never stated what your needs are. You still might need syflex for all we know. Cloth is more flexable/better than it looks though.

FrozenSun
07-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah sorry about that. Well i have been using Maya cloth for a bit now and was wandering in comparison to it if xsi's cloth is along the same line (in foundation). I planned on using cloth instead of modelling clothing for characters. I have plans on creating some dynamic type clothing for characters but would like to later on animate it and have some wind or such blowing the clothes.

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2007, 07:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.