PDA

View Full Version : 80 GB HD - 2 Partitions.?.?.?

mic
03-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Is there any benefit of having two partitions on a, say... 80 Gb Hard Drive (other than the size of the allocation unit)???

I've been told that it's faster with 2 partitions... is this true???

quinox
03-23-2003, 01:09 PM
sort of

the actual speed of the second drive will drop slightly, but you gain much since the stuff will not get defragmatated as much as it would on 1 drive

imashination
03-23-2003, 03:43 PM
There is no speed gain
Two parititons do not get fragged any more or less

The only reason is that you may want to copy data from one partition to another while you format one, so they are good for temporary storage of video files while editing.

For what its worth, I just have a huge 120gig partition over my RAID0.

quinox
03-23-2003, 03:55 PM

you mean that data frm one disc will be scattered around both discs?

GregHess
03-23-2003, 06:11 PM
The biggest advantage of two partions is the seperation of work and system files. Its a heck of a lot easier to reinstall your machine if all your work files on the secondary partion...then if their sitting on the primary partion.

(With a c: and a d: you just wipe the c: drive, and reinstall. All work files remain intact on D:...cuts down on downtime)

AJ
03-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by imashination

I have my main drive partitioned, and the second partition (which I use less) needs less defragging...

Also - I have to have my secondary 80GB drive partitioned because my bios/mb can't understand drives larger than 32MB. Which admittedly is the fault of my dated hardware, but it's another reason you might partition your drive.

singularity2006
03-23-2003, 07:42 PM
if and when u setup ur new system, always partition your hard drive if it is 4GB or larger. The reason for partitioning is that u want to create a space for the operating system onlee separate from your other stuff so that your OS remains operating without fragmented user files in between. And the HD accesses files much more efficiently when there are divides like that... sorta like organizing your clothes instead of dumbing them all into the same shelf.

I assume no1 has anything smaller than 40GB anymore. So here's the deali0.
(do in this order)
5GB for OS
2GB for scratch disk/temp files
5GB for applications
5GB for games
23GB for your files/archives/music videos.

U want at least 5GB For the OS ... if ur running windows 2000 or have a big@ss swap file. 2GB for temp files so they don't fragment the main OS drive (more nfO on how to setup your temp folder later)... 5GB just for applications... 5GB just for games. 23 for everything else.

Based on this, u can figure a good percentage of stuff for your drives. Anyh0w, by separating out major categories of stuff, your drives run much more efficiently and your files do not fragment as much when they are accessed and modified.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.