PDA

View Full Version : easy one- can i make something visible but unselectable?

tredeger
07-06-2007, 02:23 PM
here's an easy question- can i make something visible but unselectable in maya? I mean really unselectable- not just with locked and greyed out manipulator gnomons. And I'd like to do this WITHOUT putting it on a reference layer. Thanks.

isoparmB
07-06-2007, 02:44 PM
I could be wrong, but check out the object display or display overrides tab in the attribute editor of your object's shape node. There is a template option there, I'm not sure about a reference option though.

tredeger
07-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Hmm, there are some interesting options there- never knew abou the 'intermediate object' thing- that could definitely be useful for some things. Unfortunately, I'm still not quite there.

Basically, I have a frame for a set of controls whose translation limits are -1 to 1 inside the box. I just want to make the frame unselectable and keep it visible. Templating in the AE seems possible but then it's grey which I'd prefer not be the case.

The second thing is I have a polycube at the center of the box. It's scaled to 0. This puts all the corners of the cube in the same place, dead center. This allows the user to hold down the v key when the controls are selected and easily snap them back to the center 0,0 point using point snapping and the points of the poly cube. The problem is I can't figure out how to make the polycube itself unselectable whilst retaining it's points as live references to which the controls will snap. Seems like anything that makes something unselectable- making it invisible or templated or whatever also makes it unsnappable. Grr. Argh.

If anyone has a solution, I'm mighty grateful.

cheers,
j

dragonlair81
07-06-2007, 04:10 PM
go into the display overrides tab and use reference instead of template. That should let you still be able to snap to it but not select it.

tredeger
07-06-2007, 05:24 PM
go into the display overrides tab and use reference instead of template. That should let you still be able to snap to it but not select it.

I can't find a reference option- only a template option. I checked both the object and it's shape node. What am I missing here? Thanks again for the help. If I can find this option I think you're right, it should work since referencing works in layers. Though in layers there can be parenting issues.

dragonlair81
07-06-2007, 10:07 PM
go to the attribute editor then the object display tab. then you go to drawing overrides. Check enable overrides and you then you should find reference in the display type pull down.

tredeger
07-06-2007, 10:42 PM
go to the attribute editor then the object display tab. then you go to drawing overrides. Check enable overrides and you then you should find reference in the display type pull down.

Bloody brilliant! Totally bomber. That's just what I needed. Kudos. Yippiee! I'm going to go do my happy dance now. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2007, 10:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.