PDA

View Full Version : matrox Pharelia and combustion

degiovab
03-23-2003, 09:22 AM
I got a matrox pharelia 128 mb ram for using with avid xpress dv for Video Editing and it works great.
Because I am starting to work with combustion and I know one of my friends have a lot of problem with his graphic card (nvidia geforce2 64 mb ram) especially working with particles, I would like to know if the matrox pharelia is good enough for combustion or if I have to move to another card (ex. quadro 4 750 or quadro 4 980)
thanks
Biagio

GregHess
03-23-2003, 07:13 PM
I don't know how much combustion relies on opengl performance. As far as the matrox card goes, its pretty much the slowest of all available 3d cards...even those cards which are a few generations behind.

In max for example, a geforce 2 ultra will outperform the Matrox-P card...even the one with 512 megs of ram.

So find out the importance of ogl accleration for combustion...and if its a priority, you might want to switch to a quadro.

Chris
03-23-2003, 10:11 PM
The particles in Combustion run in OpenGL, so you'll need some zippy OpenGL to run them nice & quick (they run alright on my radeon 9000pro). You can always run them in software, its just slower...

You can switch combustion to do everything in OpenGL, but you should really get something along the lines of a quadro to do this, even then, there are some things that OpenGL just cant show you, like non square pixels, some transfer modes (dependant on the card) etc.

your best bet might be just to try it & see how it performs... :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.