PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Modeling technique

Billy_D
04-05-2002, 10:27 PM
Hi All.

This is my first post to these forums.
This looks like a great community.
Anyway, I was wondering what everyone's preferred method of character modeling was.
I know some people swear by nurbs or boxmodeling or splines etc.
I also wanted to know if your choice of 3d software effects your coice of modeling method.

I work almost exclusively in Max and I was doing the boxmodeling/meshsmooth thing but I think I might venture into splines or nurbs.

JuRrAsStOiL
04-05-2002, 11:32 PM
forget about splines and nurbs.
Box-modelling is the only mehtod in max to model chars.
I think, that Nurbs modelling only works with maya.
But someone posted the same question here.....

Iain McFadzen
04-05-2002, 11:37 PM
I've said it before and I am gonna say it again:

*deep breath*

Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box Box

:)

sabaman
04-06-2002, 01:57 AM
well, at first i said box too, but since i started using rhino, it has been nurbs eversince, i think nurbs is by far the best method,...

Joel Hooks
04-06-2002, 02:01 AM
For speed and ease of use there is no competition between NURBS and poly/subD. Poly/subD wins.

For technical accuracy and precision NURBS is the winner for sure.

Rhino is great. Outstanding modeler, but for organics......

sabaman
04-06-2002, 02:43 AM
well, i recently did my first organic object with it, its great, the ease and its very quick, i cant finish it though cuz the thing that sucks is that i got a very slow computer (266 with 128 ram) in that way, if i want to make complex models, i need alot of patience,...

lossy
04-11-2002, 10:13 AM
Nurbs SUCK in Max. Stay away from anything other than simple landscape surfaces (who's addaptive tesselation make for some excellent looking displacement maps).

I only use Box modeling in Max...it is far to frustrating being constrained to 3 or 4 point patches to make a surface with spline modeling. The bezier handles available at every vertex make for more control than box modeling, but regardless it's always been more difficult for me to get the model I wanted in surface tools.

Maya's subdivision surfaces are supposed to be far superior, as well as it's Nurbs.

However, Editable Poly (R 4) (vs Editable Mesh) is supposed to solve a lot of Max's subdivision problems, although I've heard it's still very buggy.

Has anybody experimented with Editable Poly?

Iain McFadzen
04-11-2002, 01:42 PM
However, Editable Poly (R 4) (vs Editable Mesh) is supposed to solve a lot of Max's subdivision problems, although I've heard it's still very buggy.

Has anybody experimented with Editable Poly?

I haven't used Editable Mesh since Max4 came out, for SubD modeling Editable Poly is superior in almost every way. 4.0's Epoly was a little buggy admittedly, but that was all fixed by 4.2.

asche
04-14-2002, 06:21 AM
when i still used max i prefered the spline modeling technique ...
it was very good to get a result fast ..... but it became very time consuming tweaking the details, getting rid of all wrinkles and so on....

when starting with maya i didnt have that technique anymore, and i hate nurbs, so i only had the poly option left :)
and i like it a lot ... if u get used to think a little in the future, having a picture in mind (or as an imageplane) u want to achieve its a very effective way of modeling ...

in my opinion nurbs are only useful when u have to add full body hair / fur to a character .... but i am very biased :)

paconavarro
04-19-2002, 06:10 AM
BOX modelling RULEZ!!!!!!!!!

Is very predictable even with not much modeling knowledge :thumbsup:

R.R
04-23-2002, 02:46 PM
For Max, why not use the SURFACE TOOL? its a great tool to model organic lifeform.
I wish Maya have the same function other than Sub D, then I'll give up Max:o

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.