PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitor help?

Nimue
03-23-2003, 06:40 AM
Would anyone mind telling me how to set up a dual monitor displau? Am i even able to on my computer? when and how will i be able to use it? thx

Anim8rJB
03-23-2003, 07:03 AM
It might help if you tell us a little more about your computer first.

drunkirishmic
03-23-2003, 08:05 AM
using windows, if so u can. if u already hav the monitors, either get a gf4+ or radeon 7500+ and use the dvi > vga adapter; or get 2 video cards 1 agp/1 pci and do it that way.

dont know much about mac or linux. i kno u can do it with macs, but im not sure how.

paintbox
03-23-2003, 09:14 AM
If you only want to use one videocard you need a card that has two outputs. I have a Matrox and most Matrox cards have a dual display. The new Matrox Parhelia even has triple output for three monitors.

Here is how it works :
There is a tab in display properties that allows me two use two displays as one desktop. You can than use your second monitor for rendering 3D or to drag some dialog boxes to. In video editing the second monitor is often used for previewing.

Here is how it helps :
Basically you double your screen real estate and so you can use the extra space to unclutter your main screen. Especially 3D/video editing programs who notoriously have many panels and options can benefit from this.

Marcel
03-23-2003, 11:33 AM
And post a message in the Wacom forum for better dual monitor support with your tablet (monitor switch button):

http://www.wacom-europe.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=665&whichpage=5&ARCHIVE=

moroten
03-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Radeon 9x00 users: do you get fast, glitch-free OpenGL hardware acceleration on both screens? I have troubles with my Geforce 4 ti4200 at work - the secondary screen is unusuable for 3D viewports (wont even update Maya 3D panels). In 3dsmax, I can use the sec. monitor for stuff like Curve Editor, Material Editor etc, but thats it. Have tried different driver versions... doesnt seem to do the trick...

lurifrax
03-23-2003, 03:19 PM
also what it does: it increases the cool-factor on your workstation..

CgFX
03-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by moroten
I have troubles with my Geforce 4 ti4200 at work - the secondary screen is unusuable for 3D viewports (wont even update Maya 3D panels).

That is because you are using it wrong.

Turn off DualView mode (uncheck "extend my desktop onto..." and go into the GeForce4 Ti 4200 area of the advanced settings area.

Then turn on nView span and all your troubles will go away.

If you absolutely _have_ to use DualView mode because you have monitors that need to be run at different resolutions, then you need to turn on dual device HW OpenGL support.

Again, go into the advanced properties area and go under the GeForce4 Ti 4200 tab. Under the OpenGL Settings section you will find an option in the scrolling window that is call something like "Enabled advanced multi-monitor support" or something similar. Check this on to enable HW OpenGL across two diffferent display devices (DualView).

I strongly recommend nView Span mode though.

Nimue
03-23-2003, 04:24 PM
Thank you everyone, I was able to figure it out.

moroten
03-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by CgFX

Then turn on nView span and all your troubles will go away.

OOOH yeah baby! Worked like a charm! :bounce: Thanks mate!!

-Daniel

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.