PDA

View Full Version : 3dsmax5 dosn't start with directX9

AdrianLazar
03-23-2003, 06:14 AM
Hi,
i recently installed directx9 and then i start 3dsmax5 (not 5.1) with directx9 graphic mode but dosen't start, it give me an error message
I must have a FX graphic card to start 3dsmax using dx9 ??

CgFX
03-23-2003, 08:01 AM
Why did you install DirectX 9?

elvis
03-23-2003, 08:52 AM
a) install the 5.1 patch. it fixes tonnes of bugs.

b) do not use directx in 3dsmax. directx is painfully low and cause all sorts of dramas in viewport rendering. in order you should use:

1) application drivers specific to your card
2) openGL
3) heidi (software)
4) directx

DaForce
03-23-2003, 01:54 PM
after installing the dirext9 patch i was able to use directx9 in 3dsmax 5, and it was quite a bit faster, and i have yet to see any problems....but you never know they tend to creep up on ya :-)

directx9 wont work, unless you get the patch. i think its odd how they had the option there to choose dx9 given that it wont work without the patch

AdrianLazar
03-23-2003, 05:06 PM
what patch ?
from where ?

DaForce
03-23-2003, 06:13 PM
here ya go...2.17mb

http://www.discreet.com/support/max/download/download.php3#DirectX 9 for 3ds max 5.1

you will also need to update to 3dsmax 5.1 first
you can get that here...37.7mb
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/support/3dstudio/3dsmax_51_Update.exe

enjoy :thumbsup:

Signal2Noise
03-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by oxyg3n^
what patch ?
from where ?

Oh, brother! Here we go. Guess we know which side of the legal/non-legal fence you're on :rolleyes:

Good luck getting the update. Hope it all works out for ya!:)

GregHess
03-23-2003, 07:09 PM
Direct3D in max is slower then Opengl (especially with nvidia cards) except in certain rare circumstances.

There really is no point to running d3d unless you have a very specific reason to do so.

AdrianLazar
03-23-2003, 07:52 PM
Thanks DaForce !
GregHess, i don't agree with you, i sow 3dsmax with different nvidia cards and on d3d was faster than on opengl (but more instable)

GregHess
03-23-2003, 08:20 PM
http://www2.3dluvr.com/15/10/S15A10FIL52.jpg

Here's some evidence...since you disagree. You'll note that it is faster in "some" things...but overall in the 3dsmax benchmark suite, it loses...especially in some situations.

I can assure you it follows the same pattern with the geforce4/quadro4's...but if you want proof, I'll run tests on those as well when I have a chance.

elvis
03-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Signal to Noise
Oh, brother! Here we go. Guess we know which side of the legal/non-legal fence you're on :rolleyes:

Good luck getting the update. Hope it all works out for ya!:)

chief, you really should give people the benefit of the doubt before slinging off at them. i know it's frustrating when warez monkeys bitch about unstable software, but we are a friendly bunch and we should try to help even the newest of the newbies.

Signal2Noise
03-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Thanks, Elvis. I just had a bad morning when I saw this thread. I will try to contain myself in the future. Besides, I usually try to tone down the warez accusations by including a few smilies in the responses. I find smilies put warez monkeys at ease.

That's why I joined CgT in the first place- the members are truly a friendly bunch. I will try to maintain the same attitude and curb my 'slingings' from now on.

Hopefully oxyg3n^ will forgive me...:) :love:

DaForce
03-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Greg,

Is it possible that the directx9 patch would make a 9700pro faster in directx than opengl in 3dsmax, when using dx9?

The reason i say this is my 9700pro now performs pretty well after i applied the dx9 patch, for instance i have a 500,000 poly scene which i am able to move around in wireframe mode without any slowdown at all. But maybe before i start making assumptions i really should run the benchies. I also realise that seeing high fps in high poly count scenes doenst meant that the card is going to run better across the board with dx9.

Whats the best way of running the 3dsmax benchmarks? specperfview?

I will post up the results for a 9700 pro in opengl, dx8 & dx9. That should finalise things pretty well.

elvis
03-23-2003, 10:50 PM
if you want benchmarks for 3dsmax try the specAPC benchmarks. they are a series of scripts that run inside 3dsmax and generate html outputs for you to read. these are much more accurate in terms of being specific to one application, and you can test cross API instead of being limited to only openGL.

as fa as i'm aware the latest supported version of specAPC for 3dsmax is for version 4.2.6. i'm not sure if it will work with 5.1 or not, but you can always try! :)

DaForce
03-23-2003, 10:58 PM
Thanks for that Elvis, i will look into it.

And i will indeed try :-)

I will post results tomorrow.

GregHess
03-24-2003, 03:32 AM
Daforce,

Max4 had a nice set of benchmarks to use. If you want, I'll see about getting them uploaded for you to check out.

You just need to use the "ShowFPS=1" line along with them to see the fps during the test.

You can also use a stopwatch and calculate the average fps (like I did) if you want.

DaForce
03-24-2003, 04:28 AM
i **think** i may have said benchmarks at home, but i would have to search around, if it was easy for you to be able to upload them somewhere that would be great.

AdrianLazar
03-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Signal to Noise, no problem :)
just remember that, like many other, i didn't choose the side of the fence

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.