07-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Is there a way to improve the 4:1:1 color resolution

thanks

Juan

JshuFX
07-08-2007, 05:12 PM
yes..............

rent or invest in a better camera :thumbsup:

if you're trying to pull a key with 4:1:1 footage you can try to blur your edge by different amounts on the x and y axis to try and soften the stairstepping effect you get w/4:1:1

BadG3r
07-09-2007, 09:02 PM
the more elegant way is to convert with the colorspace into yuv than blur the gb channels (r == y == luminance, gb == uv == chroma channels) and converting it back to rgb.

cheers

SeaJackal
07-09-2007, 10:56 PM
thank you

I will try that

cheers

aglick
07-11-2007, 08:18 PM
yeah, DV sucks for this. You might really think about using a different format if you need to do any CG work.

One work-around (if you want to use the same camera) is to go buy yourself a half decent analog video capture card and come out of the camera via Svideo...

DV is compressed 5:1 at 4:1:1 color space. Most cheap prosumer capture boards can do NTSC 4:2:2 @ 3:1 compression. Heck, here's one for $500 that will capture uncompressed!!!

http://www.adorama.com/VDAUPIPE.html

(it's for MAC but there are many others for PC in the same performance/price range)

This is WAAAAAY better/easier for getting footage that is useable for multilayer comps and pulling keys...

Adam
BOXXlabs

Kokosing
07-31-2007, 10:00 AM
I've had a lot of luck with this:

http://www.highend3d.com/shake/downloads/macros/keying/2558.html

It's called 4xx Enhancer. You'll also need Real Sharpen which is linked from the page above. I did a little side-by-side test running Keylight on DV PAL (4.2.0) The edge on the enhanced version was much less blocky.

I'm not sure what this is doing under the hood. My guess is there's a UV blur. But I think there's something cleverer going on too.

Good luck.

W

Crazzy Legs
07-31-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't want to insult your inteligence (as some soft skinned individuals are so easily insulted) , so if you already know this, please don't take it that way. You can not add details to what you have already captured, that said, I know someone who has done some really impressive work with DV. I'll see if I can find out what he did. He definitly ran it through the ringer.
Can you be more specific as to what you want to do with the DV footage? Like, what type of color tones do you want to get, what are the colors your mainly working with, camera you captured it on, lens type, all this stuff really helps man. And if there is a type of film stock you are trying to simulate or one close to it, include that too man.

WmH
08-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Is there a way to improve the 4:1:1 color resolution

thanks

Juan

Not really sure what you want. If you are trying to chromakey (as several have also suspected) I would suggest getting the PreprocessDV and CleanScreen macros. PreprocessDV simply blurs the U and V channels of DV footage to minimize the blockiness that occurs with low sampling. Clean screen is useful for more than just DV it helps with unevenly lit or wrinkles/seams/dirty/damaged backgrounds. It smoothes the color in the background. You can find both over in the shake area at highend3d.com

CGTalk Moderation
08-01-2007, 04:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.