PDA

View Full Version : Candleman-Comment if you have time

DigitalSkorpyon
04-05-2002, 10:02 PM
This a pen and ink crosshatch style piece I thought up. It's basically a study of light, detail, and most definitely patience. Let me know what you think.

DigitalSkorpyon
04-05-2002, 11:21 PM
Here's a larger version closer to the colorscheme it was created in.

-Grant

ParanoidAndroid
04-06-2002, 12:04 AM
Wow! I don't have the patience required for that type of pen and ink drawing...I envy you. That's some rally great work.

Is it Gandalf? ;)

ParanoidAndroid
04-06-2002, 12:05 AM
Oh wait thought it was a wizard lol. Not though right? An old man in a night cap? Hey...it could be a wizard. :D

Cockofthewok
04-06-2002, 12:20 AM
Looks great. I wouldn't have the patience to do a pen and ink drawing either. one little crit though. You said it was a study of the behaviors of light. why then is the candle-flame dark? other than that, looks vundubar!:bounce: :applause: :bounce: :applause: :bounce: :applause:

Korgath
04-06-2002, 02:56 AM
Very nice!

I agree with the android.. Looks like a tired Gandalf.;)

:thumbsup:

dmonk
04-06-2002, 03:36 AM
reminds me of the head midget wizard from the movie willow.

love it.

Plan to color?

element412
04-06-2002, 10:22 AM
great. well executed.
just one thing. the lighting is nice for sure... but isnt it a bit strange ? i fell like its to straight on the face..i dont really know how to say that.......
heres a ps version ive done over ur.thats how i would have make the shadow. but anyway maybe its just worst or its just ur style.....
i think it just give a better 3d effect...
ps sorry to scrap ur good job with such a bad ps painting

DigitalSkorpyon
04-07-2002, 11:34 PM
I appreciate your guys feedback. You were pretty much right on about the lighting. I had realized that the lighting wasn't working properly but once the pen hits the paper it's too late. The reason it wasn't planned out how the shadows would fall is because on that particular piece, I had a pen and a pad of paper but no idea what I would actually be drawing. I started with a line that developed into an eye and began to form the old man. Most the progress of the drawing was as much as surpise to me. I had no idea what it would be and added the candle probably a bit too late to correct the shadows. I think for the unorthodoxed approach to a large pen and ink project, it turned out decent. And to be honest, until you guys said it, I hadn't thought of the wizard on Willow or Gandolff. Thanks again.

-Grant

Jec1183
04-09-2002, 02:25 AM
:wip: :wip: :wip:

I like the picture but the light should creep over his face. There should be a gradient to the face. The light should also bend with the face and not just be laid over top. The picture is very well drawn though. Just had a prob with the lighting.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.