PDA

View Full Version : need help with tutorial :)

Katzenminze
07-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi guy! I'm trying to follow this tutorial:

http://www.3dkingdom.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=936

but at step 4 im already stuck ;)

Which tool would you recommend me to use for this action? because when I use the knife tool (regardless of which mode I use it, multicut or exact or midpoint) It will always cut the other sidefaces of my cube-object! I dont want this to happen! (as you can see in the tut. the faces aren't affected...)
Is it possible to get the same result in blender?

Hope you can help me :)

ChevyVanDude
07-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Ehhrr

Just hover above it, it is possible, if you choose the first option of the knive tool (like you mentioned) (I lbelieve loopcut).
And Blender 3D and 3d studio max aren't totally backwards compatible :P.

Katzenminze
07-04-2007, 08:54 PM
well as the name suggests the LOOP-cut cuts a LOOP areound my mesh so it als affects the other sides :(
But I guess it's the best tool to mimic max' tool... thanks anyways!

Bye

toontje
07-04-2007, 09:11 PM
First of all, thank you for finding this tutorial.
I didn't have any problems with it. To answer your question:
While in edit mode, locate where you can switch from vertice mode, edge mode, face mode... select the cube button (clip z-buffer) next to them. Hit Z-key to disable transparant mesh.

Regarding the tutorial. Max has NGons and Blender hasn't. That is no problem. Be sure to look ahead and when cutting, it is ok if it cuts all around the mesh, it's normal.

An NGon most of the times is nothing more than a placeholder for a bunch of polygons (in this case anyway).

Max has inset, in Blender select the faces you want to inset (the windows for example), and hit E-key --> individual faces-->hit enter without changing anything. And then select at the pivots: "individual centers". The faces should still be selected. hit S-key and then scale.

I didn't read what was written in that tut, just follow the pics and think about how it should be done in Blender.

I hope I was of some help.
Cheers

Katzenminze
07-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey! thanks for your quick help, I will then have to use only quads and triangles :( but i guess it' sok :)

thanks for your tip about scaling multiple things at the same time aswell :) didnt think of using individual's centers :)

I will try to finish it the blender way!

long live the open source community!

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2007, 09:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.