PDA

View Full Version : Airport File Sharing: W2K & OS 10.1.5

SMH
03-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to share files between a PC and a G4 Mac via Airport...do I have any chance of doing so given the setup below:

On the mac side:

- 800Mhz DP Apple G4 running OS/X 10.1.5 and the original Airport card.
- The WiFi access point I'm using is Apple's original "Graphite" base station.

On the PC side:

-AthlonXP 2800+ running W2K (without any SPack yet)
-WiFi: U.S Robotics 11-22Mbps PCI card.

* Now I should tell you that I've gotten both units to ping each other...but I can't get them to use file sharing services.

I would deeply appreciate your help on seeing this through. Lastly I want to thank all those great folks who helped me before, and those who are willing to do so this time.

Enjoy your weekends,

Sieb
03-22-2003, 09:00 PM
Since you are not running OSX.2 Jag (which has built in windows networking using Dave), you need to get a copy of Dave itself to enable macs to talk to windows machines.

http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html

Wi-Fi is a standard so its platform independent, thus you can ping. But software wise, they are different.

timgolnik
03-22-2003, 10:05 PM
if you get 10.2 you'll have an easier time setting up file sharing. I have a win2000 dell and a dual 500 pmac. i set up my mac with windows file sharing (just turning it on in system preferences/sharing) My windows machine can access my mac easily. I have yet to get my mac to access my w2k machine though. one way sharing is better than no way though.

i recommend you upgrade to 10.2... the speed enhancements provided by quartz extreme are worth it alone in my book...

SMH
03-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Jaguar is actually sitting on my shelf, but I'm waiting for a version that offers comparable stabilty to 10.1.5. I rely heavily on the G4 for many tasks, and I cant't afford to loose it, even for half a day. Having said that, I do want to ask for your experiences on this issue. I use Lightwave and a host of Adobe applications, among others, so I wonder if you folks would incourage me to make the shift.

elvis
03-22-2003, 11:13 PM
on the mac side under OSX 10.1 you can just click on the "go" menu and choose "connect to server". then type in:

smb://username:password@ip.address.of.windows.machine/sharename

once you link to this share, simply drag it to your favourites to make a shortcut there so you don't have to punch the location in manually every time you reboot.

and you'll connect to that windows share. apple added the rendezvous system to OSX 10.2 which automatically discovers networks for you so you don't have to type things in manually all the time.

OSX 10.2.4 is just as stable if not better than 10.1.5. I'd only recommend sticking with 10.1.5 if your system is slow and low on ram (my imac 333 with 96MB of ram flies under 10.1.5 but chugs under 10.2.4).

products like dave are only necessary under OS9 and below. if you are running OS9 (which most people refer to today as "black and white TV") i recommed a product called Connectix DoubleTalk (http://www.connectix.com/products/dt.html). This is far superior to dave and lets you share files and even windows printers and other SMB aware services.

one further push for OS10.2 is quartz extreme. if you do a lot of 2D work, quartz extereme can be very handy when you need a lot of windows open. our graphics guys at work use the entire adobe suite (photoshop, indesign (cross upgraded from pagemaker), illustrator, acrobat and premier), and the quartz extreme rendering system was a considerable boost in day to day use and speed of the systems. highly recommended for anyone considering the upgrade.

timgolnik
03-22-2003, 11:20 PM
comparable stability?!??! 10.2 is waaaay more stable than 10.1 imho. I've never ahd 10.2 crash... well... once... but thats far better than how many times i got the 10.1s to crash...

I do recomend doing a fully clean install however. My roomates daul 800 seemed quite a bit faster when he installed the whole thing over again with a clean drive.

My dual 500 has been running .2 since the day it came out. In this time it has dealt very well with maya, lightwave, and final cut. I also use it for after effects and premiere, which have never crashed. My girlfriend uses my comp for a LOT of photoshop/illustrator/indesign work. (she's a graphic design major at rhode island school of design, and i'm and industrial design major at RISD)

She recently bought a dual 867 which has also yet to crash, although once it didn't wake up from sleep properly.

IMHO, do it! do it now! spend a couple hours tonight backing up, then reinstall everything and i guarantee you'll have a faster, more stable computer in the morning! :buttrock:

any specific questions, just ask them, ill be happy to share any of my experiences

SMH
03-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Hi again,

I'm more inclined to install JAG, now that I've read your comments. Meanwhile I want to follow-up on Elvis's solution, which I've tried without success so far:

I keep getting this error:

"No File Services Are Available at the URL SMB://...."
"Try again later...Server returned error 1"

Now let me get the syntax right:
smb://usernamepassword@ip.address.of.windows.machine/sharename

So here's an example of what I gather so far:

smb://smh12345@10.2.2.5/shared

Where:

-smh is my login (not seperated from the PW??)
-12345 is my Password :D
-10.2.2.5 is my PC's IP
-And Shared is the name of the folder I want to share, that is without typing any paths whatsoever.

When I try the above, I seem to get the same response you get when you type anything into the requester. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I should add that the "Connect To Server" dialog only lists "Local Network" under the "Network Neighborhoods" list. Just to clarify things some more. Again thanks for your wonderful support.

elvis
03-23-2003, 07:47 AM
sorry, the auto smilies changed my post above and i didn't check it first.

the syntax is:

smb://username:password@ip.address/share

so you'd put:

smb://smh:12345@10.2.2.5/shared

that should sort you out.

SMH
03-23-2003, 08:43 PM
No luck yet, I guess I'll just backup and dive into Jaguar...before I get stuck with panther..:D Thanks for your help.

elvis
03-23-2003, 09:38 PM
that syntax works here for me in both 10.1.5 and 10.2.4.

but yes, i whole-heartedly suggest you go for 10.2. it's a superb OS and much zippier on the powermac/book series of machines.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.