PDA

View Full Version : Animating a tube

CookieMon
07-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi all. I'm actually trying to animate a part of my character. It's somewhat like the Sentinels' tentacles from the Matrix; kinda resembles the pipe that connects to shower heads.

I cant seem to figure out how to. Anyone can help?

brendo2026
07-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Do you have an example of what you are trying to animate, I imagine you have already rigged it so it can animate that way?:)

CookieMon
07-05-2007, 03:45 AM
Hi brendo. Sorry for not putting up an image. This is how it looks like. And no I have not rigged it because I'm not sure if using bones is a good idea because of the segments. You see because of its many segments, that would mean one bone for each segment. Just making it the whole tentacle bend is going to give me a headache, time consuming and not to mention very inefficient.

I'm sure there is a better and faster way.

CookieMon
07-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Oh forgot to say I'm using 3d max 8

brendo2026
07-05-2007, 04:46 PM
the best I can come up with is,
http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/tentacles_and_chains/tentacles_and_chains.htm

this tute uses a spline to drive a chain but it does mention another method to drive solid gemetry e.g. an octopus tentacle!

thats the best I can come up with, I'm sure somebody else will have a much better technique:D

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2007, 04:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.