PDA

View Full Version : Mapping problem

rizon
07-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Hello,

I've been trying to map a text bitmap texture on an object... i think i have to go UVW but no experience with this... is it really necessary or are there other approaches..

The problem is that the text is stretched now... and doesn't go natural around the object

If the only solution is UVW, any tips on this?

Thanks!

http://www.rizon.info/cgtalk.jpg

Jake-L
07-04-2007, 01:47 PM
If you're desperate to avoid UV unwrapping the object, you could of course try standard projections (planar etc) using different poly selections.

There is the possibility of seam trouble, tho' in this approach, so UVs are still your best bet if the model isn't overly complicated.

/J.

rizon
07-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks, i tried all standard projections, the one used is flat and works best at the moment... but not good enough...

UVW shivering

govinda
07-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I can't imagine that cylindrical wouldn't look better. You'd have to rotate the texture axis 90 degrees, and then in photoshop rotate your canvas also until you get it right, or rotate it using Projector nested inside whatever channel has the image. But 30 minutes' work in BP would make it better.

The bending is the problem. If you could do the bend after you textured the object cylindrically and use a stick texture tag, you'd be in better shape. The texture would then follow the bend.

rizon
07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
If you could do the bend after you textured the object cylindrically and use a stick texture tag, you'd be in better shape. The texture would then follow the bend.

Cool didn't know that! thanks govinda!

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.