PDA

View Full Version : Rendering rainfall particles

rebolt
07-04-2007, 08:20 AM
I am working on a test for rainfall and having a problem while rendering & shading the rainfall particle system. What shape instance i should use to make it look like rainfall along with the shader ?

Thanks

joconnell
07-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Brandon davis said years ago that he used little cylinders with a bit of specularity and a gradient in the opacity map slot - bit of motion blur too.

victor throe
07-09-2007, 07:07 AM
spose it also depends which type of rain you are rendering

the cylinder route is best for bog standard straight down no wind rain

theotheo
07-09-2007, 10:36 AM
rebolt, here's a siggraph paper that discribes photorealistic rendering of rain streaks

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/projects/rain_ren/rain_ren.php

But it's a heavy and slow way of doing it, but with great results.

-the0

rebolt
07-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Hey thanks theotheo but this seems to be very technical approach. Can you suggest any intermediate or simpler way ?

ruster
07-14-2007, 10:18 AM
I think simple litle tetra-form particles will help + mblur.

supremepizza
07-16-2007, 03:04 AM
Simplest way to do it for a beginner is to rt-> click the event that spawns your particles and bring up the properties of that event. On the right hand side towards the bottom of that is the motion blur. Play with that. Really doesn't matter what you use for the object but playing with the specular and the blur is the key.

Edit: oh and lighting is going to be key here too since the specular is so important. Use a single spot just for your particle system.

Hope it helps,
Bill

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2007, 03:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.