PDA

View Full Version : 3d into 2d with Blender?

illustrativ
03-22-2003, 01:46 PM
how do i set a image as a background in blender so i can align my models to the image, this is for the VFX challenge on here. Please can someone tell me how this is done?

dreamsgate
03-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Shift + F7 will bring up the background image window, load your image,

Shift + F5 will take you back to your 3D window.

Apollux
03-22-2003, 05:24 PM
Those key strokes have to be done with the mouse cursor over the 3D window (the grid) because Blender ALLWAYS send keystrokes to the window with the cursor on it.

Also, did you know that you can split the 3D Windows into more little ones, so you can have a front view, a side view, a top .... etc. etc. etc. Each one ca have it own background image (by default they have the same background image than the window from where you sub-divided the new one). To sub-divide a window place your mouse at the edge of if and right click. Windows divisions can be dragged to your will.

If your screen starts to look very loaded for your taste, instead of dividind the screen you can create new virtual screens (again each one with its own settings) and switch to them on the fly. For creating and switching look for a button right beside the menu bar that should say something like 'SCR: screen.001'. There is a little button with a dash next to it. Click and hold your mouse, there are the options for creating new virtual screens or switching to and already created screen. Pressing Ctrl+right/left arrow switch among the virtual screens also.

The button with an X on it deletes the active virtual screen (quite obvious, isnt' it).

One last trick. In any type of window that you can have on Blender, pressing Ctrl+up arrow/down arrow maximises (and restores) a window to be at full screen size.

ray_theray
03-23-2003, 02:43 AM
Depending on your platform, the background image may perform very slowly (I'm running Win98, and it's prone to crash with a background image). Another option is to put a plane a little ways back from where you're modelling and UV-map an image to trace. To do this, press Space Bar --> Mesh --> Plane. Position it and if you need, go into edit mode (TAB) and adjust vertices. Now press F and then Shift-F10, select an image, and place the UV-coords. Press F again, then press Alt-Z. You should see your image. An advantage of this method is that more than one image can be used at once.

JamesMK
03-23-2003, 11:08 AM
My tip is to go with Ray_theray's suggestion. It's WAY faster, and it is also easier to move things around. Put the image planes in a layer of their own to facilitate hiding before you render.

harkyman
03-23-2003, 02:48 PM
Yeah, but if you're going for compositing accuracy, nothing beats applying a background image to the camera view. Blender will fit the image to the camera's rendering bounds, so you can get a spot-on view of how things will align. I've used this technique with great success for matchmoving and creating masking objects for later compositing.

Apollux
03-23-2003, 03:11 PM
Well illustrativ, at least you can't complain about a lack of options :thumbsup:

Don't know how acquainted you and Blender are, for someone starting the first method is the more trouble-free, but as you can see if you want more fancy features then you got planty ways to go.

illustrativ
03-23-2003, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone, even though i have decided not to use Blender for this task anymore, but thanks for the information anyway.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.