PDA

View Full Version : Render Layers - MR and Maya Software

yeroc
07-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Hello, and thanks in advance-

I am currently using Maya 7.0. I am working on a outdoor scene using Maya's Ocean Shader, and some PaintEffects.

I would like to render these things using the Maya Software Render. All the rest of the geometry in the scene will be rendered in Mental Ray. I have put all of the geometry in render layers, one layer for Maya Software, the other for Mental Ray. Then for each layer setting, I set it to it's correct renderer. The problem is that when I change one layer's renderer, It changes the other layer's to the one I chose.

I have no idea if this is possible or not, but I am sure it is. I am still getting the hang of Maya, and still only in High School so I've pretty much been learning everything my self. Any help is really appreciated.

mindsample
07-03-2007, 01:46 PM
You will either have to choose only one renderer or renderin passes (two different scenes) and composit later.

I suggest you do it all in mental ray, you can convert the paint effects into polygons and the ocean shader should work in MR anyways ...

Ironhalo
07-03-2007, 02:58 PM
or you could set layer overrides in your render layers, right click and go to layer override. change your engine and then only that layer is affected.

yeroc
07-04-2007, 04:49 AM
Thank you both for your quick responses.

I tried what Ironhalo suggested and it worked perfectly.

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2007, 04:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.