PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a caterpiller

hbeachman
07-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Hello
I am having trouble rigging a caterpiller/worm. I need it to walk along and then I need it to curl up at the front and then curl up into itself. I can get one or the other but am having problems getting the bottom half of the caterpiller to curl up to the top. I can get the walk its just this curling thing that is throwing me out. I would appreciate any ideas..
Regards
Hamish

anthonymcgrath
07-04-2007, 10:08 AM
spline ik approach to the body possibly? If theres enough joints and a curve with enough points it should work nicely. nice thing is you can use the nonlinear deformers to wrap the control curve into a circle maybe?

you can then rig in a basic nurbs surface/plane skinned inside the body and use rivet to attach sets of legs to each rivet along the body?

hbeachman
07-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey
Thanks for that. I have something like this. Chain of joints, IK spline, 2 locators at each end. Parented root joint the one locator the parented the spline IK to the other locator. Then make some clusters from the CV one the spline. This works nice. I actually found another thread which had this method. Then I added some blend shapes and some are rigged and hooked up to set driven keys. The only drawback I have is that the whole skeleton gets pulled along cause its parented to the locator. I think the only way to fix this is to make the whole chain stretchy.
Will keep at it.

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2007, 10:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.