PDA

View Full Version : Texture map with transparency on mia material? how?

glib
07-02-2007, 09:34 PM
So I have an object that has an mia_material assigned to it, and is shading in the way I was looking for. I now want to add a decal to it using a map (psd, tga whatever) that has a alpha channel, except there's nowhere to plug in an alpha on the mia material. Tried the layered shader, but it won't layer mental ray nodes. Tried plugging the mia material into the material section of a blinn's shading group then using the blinn's color and transp, but no good.

Ideas?

[edit] Figured it out. Gotta use the mix8layer node from mymentalray.com.

fabergambis
07-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Just plug Out Alpha of your texture into Cutout Opacity of mia_material.
Have you ever read the online help about mia_material?
Here you can find almost everything about it ;)

Emil3d
07-04-2007, 10:37 PM
glib, with the MMB drag the texture from Hypershade and drop it on the name of the Cutout Opacity attribute in the Attribute Editor. This will make the proper connection for you....Have you ever read the online help about mia_material?
Here you can find almost everything about it ;)I can’t find what diffuseA is and why the default connection is outAlpha to mia_material.diffuseA. instead of alphaOut to cutoutOpacity as one would expect Apparently the people who implemented this behavior thought that it is more important that this connection becomes the default instead of being consistent with Maya’s native shader’s behavior and user expectation.

The problem however is that I and probably many other users have no idea what is and what difference diffuseA makes especially when there is nothing mention about it in the documentation.

Anyone lucky to know more about this?

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2007, 10:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.