PDA

View Full Version : psuedo dynamics

godolinium
07-02-2007, 09:34 PM
I was wondering if anyone could lend some insight to how to create a chain of joints that when rotate create a wave action but that also updates life in the UI without setting keyframes in the timeline as seen in the behind the scenes footage of the awsome short film burning safari.

http://www.burningsafari.com/MakingDeLaTaille.htm

The part im refering to is about 1/5 the way through on the palm frond.

Using expresions I can create this effect by sampling the rotation of each successive joint from it parents earlier value but this requires keyframing. Im keen to know what's causing the rig seen above to update live.

Anytime I write any mel that tries to examine whether the cntrl is being rotated up or down I get franetic jiggling in my joint chain. That said from my understanding letting Maya know which direction the cntrl is being rotated would be intergral to making this work... yes?

If anyone can help I would really apreciate it

Ta
T

underearth
07-03-2007, 03:34 PM
hey..

seems to be he is doing the expression way but similar result you can also have with splineIK and hair dynamics.. with dynamic hair curve as spline curve..

but soem time back i saw a script named soft constraint also try that.. that guy is doing it exprssion way and updating in viewport..

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/animation/download-4221.html?loc=softCon.mel

good luck

sunnyC.

Florent2001
07-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi,

I just created a chain of bone, then create an IK spline, the curve of he IK spline is connected to a hair system (make this curve dynamic) and then don't forget to connect the shape output curve "word space" on "in curve" of IKhandle ! Then follicle "start direction" in start base !

:)

godolinium
07-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Hey thanks. The script by Wajdy Farhan on Highend is exactly what I was looking for. Ta.
T

VM
07-12-2007, 11:07 PM
that soft con is great with translations, but you'll have some problems with rotations, if that didn't get fixed meanwhile. they flip.

besides that, a real dynamic-driven system is behaviorally more interesting, gives you more control, you can set up collisions, and can even be fast enough.... there are many real-time-dynamics possibilities, depends on your machine and the complexity of the dynamic setup (for ex. maya hair has superb sphere and cube colliders, simple and fast colliders that just work).

thehive
07-13-2007, 04:31 PM
is render in the differant color help with compostiting foreground midground an backround. or are there other reasons for that

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2007, 04:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.