PDA

View Full Version : MEL syntax color in os x script editor / and what about python is it worth learning ?

scottg1031
07-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Is there a way to get script editor or xcode to use syntax coloring for MEL scripting? I know there are other programs some even free that can do this . But I just wanted to write simple scripts. So I figured I'd ask to see if it can be done with any of the programs that came on my mac.

One more quick question.

I know script editor supports python same with xcode.. Should I just do my script in python? Is it worth learning?

ok that wass two questions sorry : )

What or which would be easyer for someone who know pretty much nothing about scripting

Thanks for reading

scott

nier
07-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Hey

I am a fan of Python... using it with maya is like getting all the functionality of MEL plus the power of Python. Also, Python's syntax is quite easy and straight forward, it is more difficult to do typos with it...

And it works perfectly with Maya, and this only tends to get better in the next versions...

Go for it!

kattkieru
07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Python's my favorite language, period. It's easy, fast for prototyping, its syntax forces beautiful code (forced indentation), and above all else it's highly interactive, so you can constantly get feedback about functions and such and kind of "grow" your script organically. MEL is similar in that regard but I prefer python.

As for code syntax highlighting, I use TextMate (http://macromates.com/). I use it for all my programming needs. It's the best text editor ever written. Try the demo if you don't believe me. To get MEL mode to work in it, though, you need to download the plugin from their SVN repository. Info on grabbing the bundles is here (http://macromates.com/wiki/Main/Bundles). Seriously though, TextMate is the way to go.

H3ro
07-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Just a quick one, as non of them are compiling languages, are there any speed benefits of using Python?

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2007, 11:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.