PDA

View Full Version : Linux GUI

Pretorian
07-02-2007, 12:27 AM
I have downloaded the Live version from Fedora, wich lets you boot using the CD and start Fedora. I just loaded it but canīt start the GUI (KDE). Two questions:

- how do I start the GUI from the command line?

- can I install apps from the GUI?

Thanks

UrbanFuturistic
07-02-2007, 12:37 AM
1) That should just happen but Fedora's an unstable pile of cack.

2) Oh yes.

Now, if you have to ask the second question, start with Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download). I've been using Linux for over 10 years now and I can't be bothered with Fedora's 'quirks'. Ubuntu has a tendency to just work.

Edit: If you particularly need to run Red Hat for a particular app, I suppose you could do worse than CentOS (http://www.centos.org/) which is an exact clone of RHEL from the RHEL source code (just with all the branding stripped out) right down to the matching version numbers.

It's not the easiest distro in the world to manage and the first thing you'll want to do is set SELinux to permissive or you'll never get anything done, but it'll be guaranteed to run your software stable. This is the difference between RHEL and Fedora, RHEL uses only tried and tested code and Fedora's based on bleeding edge code that'll crash on you soon as look at you, seems to be popular with the bleeding-edge crowd.

Pretorian
07-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Thanks!

In case of KDE, how do I start it? After booting, I get the login, after that it get's the shell. So, how do I start KDE? It's just the "kde" command? I already tried and didn't work.

Thanks

aglick
07-02-2007, 02:22 PM
"startx" should load your gui

lots
07-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks!

In case of KDE, how do I start it? After booting, I get the login, after that it get's the shell. So, how do I start KDE? It's just the "kde" command? I already tried and didn't work.

Thanks
If Fedora's live CD did not boot you into a graphical desktop, then it probably had some problem detecting your hardware, and could not load an appropriate driver for your video card.

Seriously, give Ubuntu's live CD a try. It more often than not, just works.

Granted I hate Fedora (or any RH based OS) and don't really care for Ubuntu :) I'm a fan of Gentoo my self.. been using it for at least 6 years..

Pretorian
07-03-2007, 10:30 PM
You're right. After following "BOXXLABS" (Adam) 's command it started to load the gui and went out giving a video driver error. Good, I found why it wasn't loading. Now, how do I fix this? Of course, using the right driver, but how if I'm using a Live CD?

I tried on a nVidia card and ATI card, in both cases didn't work. In ATI comp it hanged.

Advices?

Thanks

Randybob
07-05-2007, 08:56 AM
With a Live CD, your hands are really tied since Linux doesn't really have anything to write to. With the Ubuntu Live CD I tried, I was not able to download new themes, so I'm pretty sure you won't be able to update the driver. BTW, Live CDs have random errors sometimes. I was unable to boot one day with the Ubuntu Live CD and I stuck it in again later just for the heck of it and it actually booted.

lots
07-06-2007, 05:42 PM
You wont be able to change the drivers on a liveCD. Though, you should have gotten somewhere with the nvidia based computer. I'm not surprised your ATI system didn't work. ATI's linux drivers are pretty much crap.

Can you list the parts used in your nvidia based computer?

If you're up for some hacking, I might be able to get the GUI working on that system.

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2007, 05:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.