PDA

View Full Version : Very newbie 2D animation question...

JiggSaw
07-02-2007, 01:16 AM
I wanted to make a animation short out of some of my drawings. If I wanted to show my character running, would I need 100's of paper showing each frame? Or can I just scan him in the computer and use some kind of software to manipulate/automate the process?

Zorrino
07-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Actually, animated character walks consume no more than around 10 pages of final quality drawing (some 20 if you consider rough, preparatory sketches). But doing an animated short out of drawings on paper generally does require a big deal of paperwork. Happily, you can animate only moving parts, and use a single drawing for fixed parts, therefore working in layers.

DemolishMan
07-07-2007, 06:11 PM
You can use flash or adobe after effects for 2d animation manipulation.

craziivan
07-10-2007, 06:27 AM
One way of doing it is first figuring out how many frames of a run cycle you want: anything over 32 frames is a walk or slow motion run (remember that when you animate, you generally work on twos. So a drawing on frame 1, 3, 5, 7, etc...).

So anywhere from 12 frames (choppy and nasty), 16 frames good run, 18 run/jog, 24 frames jog, 28frames very fast walk, 32 a walk.

The actual process to put your drawings in is manifold. One way which is best (for your animation skill) is to make a registration point on all of your drawings and scan them in and use an editing software to place the drawings frame by frame (on twos of course). You will get a stationary run then. If thats what you want then you'll have to draw them on ones if you want a moving background. If you want no moving BG then keep it on twos. If this is confusing you, go buy a book called the Illusion of Life by/about the 9 old men (creator's of animation as we know it). http://www.amazon.com/Illusion-Life-Disney-Animation/dp/0786860707 . Then do the exercises contained within numerous times, and try variating on them.

Another way, is to make your key poses on a sketch pad, and then scan them into Flash. Then use the line tool and draw them seperately with the line tool, reuse the assets, etc...

It all really involves being able to draw your poses and have them hold up. This is the my best advice from someone who went and paid 30G to go to art school majoring in animation. I'm still an undergraduate, but I'm over a year in, so really, if you can self teach, then follow all the related books like Illusion of Life (which is the animator's bible really). Then go grab more books with more variety. Practice life drawing CONSTANTLY, and then you'll have done what I have, but without losing 30G's.

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2007, 06:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.