PDA

View Full Version : Rotoscope in XSI ???

JustKeepDrawing
07-01-2007, 04:13 PM
By Intervain :

well in XSI it's a pretty simple camera setup - once you get the hang of it :) - haven't tried in any other software without side and front views ... I know they don't have such a cool rotoscope ... Oh I love XSI LOL
Thanks!

I am maya user and i got intereseted what does she mean by such a cool rotoscope?

TrevorTang
07-06-2007, 09:24 AM
means you can set a background image for each viewport, which then you can lock it down, and put a memo cam. (kinda like keying a camera to stay in place) Then which you can rotoscope that picture/model off of, refrence, make 2 1/2 scenes etc.

I know you can set bg images in other programs, but XSI seems the easiest.

Saturn
07-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Actually I don't understand your question ?
What do you want do to ? Put an image in the background of your viewport ?

ThE_JacO
07-07-2007, 06:57 PM
By Intervain :

well in XSI it's a pretty simple camera setup - once you get the hang of it :) - haven't tried in any other software without side and front views ... I know they don't have such a cool rotoscope ... Oh I love XSI LOL
Thanks!

I am maya user and i got intereseted what does she mean by such a cool rotoscope?

XSI calls rotoscope what in Maya you have as image planes.
Unlike image planes though, they are a property of cameras, making it less of a hassle then object based backgrounds, and a fairly unique feature, as other apps normally just deal with it with some pre-canned texture mapped objects of sorts... like image planes :)

ecas
07-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey guys, Im just getting started with rotoscope in XSI
and it's very annoying for two main reason,
- Even if you lock the image when you reset the camera (A or Shift+A) everything is ruin,
and since a and s are close, I often press on a.
- When you add an image it will only show you the image and not the entire grid,
you can see in the image what I mean.

Is there anyway to solve those things?

JDex
07-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Cyborg, this is the reason I don't use it for modeling... there seems to be two schools of thought on this... I make my own reference planes using geometry instead of rotoscope, because of the limitations (primarily the viewport navigation issue).

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=24&t=209595&highlight=reference+planes

ecas
07-08-2007, 01:19 PM
@JDex
Thank you for the link and the explanation, I had no idea about
the undo camera which will make my life better :)

3dtutorial
07-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Hey guys, Im just getting started with rotoscope in XSI
and it's very annoying for two main reason,
- Even if you lock the image when you reset the camera (A or Shift+A) everything is ruin,
and since a and s are close, I often press on a.
- When you add an image it will only show you the image and not the entire grid,
you can see in the image what I mean.

Is there anyway to solve those things?

Yes, there is a VERY simple solution to this problem.

Just set a Memo Cam.

You see, the first thing that you should do after you've set up your rotoscope view as you want it is to save the viewport setting with a memo cam. This way if you mess it up, you can easily return to the exact rotoview that you had set up.

It's simple, try it.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Memodin
07-09-2007, 10:25 AM
I use this easyroto addon for planes method:

http://www.xsibase.com/scripts/modeling.php?detail=1273
It allows you a very quick setup.

When you're in "hidden line removal" mode, go to your display options-> hidden line surface color-> Transparent (This is useful a lot of times.).

For preventing the addon errors:
1-You must use *.tiff image not *.tif.
2-In photoshop u must uncheck "layers" option when saving your tiff image.)

_._

Ethangar
07-10-2007, 12:20 AM
In v6 this is all fixed here. I can set a rotoscope image in each view and model to my hearts content. Even hitting a, shift+a, f and shift+f don't move the camera from where its set.. You even have the option to have the images show in the perspective view, just like image planes.

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2007, 12:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.