“biased normals” have changed, thanks to those customers who provided
input. Try out the new implementation, make comparisons and give us
your feedback.

Porcelain

Porcelain has been modified to increase the surface curvature but keep
the smoothness. Please provide evidence that the “weight” control is
useful because we are thinking of removing it since this latest change
minimizes its influence.

Time to get goin on a new round of tests fellas.

Roger Eberhart
03-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Hey, now we're talking! This time biased normals actually do help. Not only do they eliminate the "Poissant" crease, but they make three point patches look better as well. Quite an improvement.

One note, however, the buttons are mislabeled. The one whose tool-tip says perpendicular normals is, in fact, the biased normals button.

Porcelain is looking pretty good as well. Like they mentioned, changing the strength doesn't do that much anymore, but it looks pretty good even when set to 0%. I'll have to play around with this some more.

My Fault
03-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Roger Eberhart
One note, however, the buttons are mislabeled. The one whose tool-tip says perpendicular normals is, in fact, the biased normals button.

I'm glad you said that as I thought I was losing my mind. They do appear to be mislabeled. Definitely seems like an improvement, I like the direction they are heading in.

Not sure about the porcelain changes, so far I like the previous incarnation better but I want to test more. Either way I think they should keep the weighting in. I'd much rather have options then to have to settle on the setting Hash feels is best. More options not less Hash.

Nice job Hash, keep it up!

HellBorn
03-24-2003, 11:38 PM
This is the best solution this far. I get some artifacts with Alpha4 but none at all with Alpha5. I have not figured out if the weight settings makes any differense at all yet but even if the differense is small I see no reason to remove the possibility to set the value.

I have noticed a problem in 10.5 with 5 pointers rendering black. If I check the normal it's the wrong way but just flipping it wont help. Well it helps so that it's no longer black but the smoothing does not match up. In order to get it to work I have to delete it and recreate it selecting the cp:s in the opposit direction.
Is this a 10.5 problem only?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.