PDA

View Full Version : Bug and fixes

Yardie
03-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Hi After reading about the manuel on the cave wall I thought why not just go ahead with a section just devotied to bugs and fixes. I to have problems with the paths made in AM crashing once I right click on them. Reading through the messeges I get the impression most of us dont bother to rename an object once we have used a "Windows" based program to create the object. I put the Windows in qutation marks becuse it Windows programing that is at the root of the instability. One thing programing has taught me is that everything you create with windows has to have a lable or a name. If you dont give you objects a name Windows( or C++) will do it for you. As you create actions and models in AM it also is labling everything "untitled as you go a long. by the time you come to fixing an error with the "UNDO"in AM you have no end of untiteld objects. This confuses Windows as the obects have diffrent sizes but the same name.

I havent tried it yet but the next time I put a path in my chory I am going to make sure I rename it. and Have pespective off.

My guess is the Hash know bugs are inherent from Wondows. they would rather devote there effots to a reliable OS. I have heard roumor that Apple have there own version of windows the is the daddy when it comes to stablity. I hope it true

ragtag
03-22-2003, 05:50 PM
If this makes AM crash or not, I have no idea. What I do know is that giving everything logical and unique names is very important. It makes it easier for others you might be working with to make sense of your files, and it makes it easier for you to pick up the file one year later and make changes to it. After all, it only takes a second to give something a name and it will likely be worth it later.

Ragnar

Yardie
03-22-2003, 07:01 PM
Well I have just this moment opened up a new project and gone to the top view of the chorography. Drawn a path. Before even putting a model on the path I renamed the path " yardpathĒ. After that I could do anything with the path. I could move it resize it etc. The manual tells you to rename the files you load from the CD and save them to your hard drive - any fool knows this( you cant save to CD, but it donít tell you to rename things like paths. The word path I believe is a common key word in Windows. Unfortunately the typical egghead programmer is taught not to pay to much attention to detail when programming in C because of the vast C and C++ libraries. This is true to a point. Unfortunately computer gurus carry the same philosophy when it comes to explaining any thing technical - they always leave out the detail and think you re on the same page and can see what is in there minds eye. The problem with Hash Inc is they think we all use the Mac. After five years with Windows and countless reinstalls, updates, CRASHES, 3 operating systems windows for dummies, programming for dummies, I will admit I have been had by Microsoft.

hoochoochoochoo
03-24-2003, 12:46 PM
I have heard roumor that Apple have there own version of windows the is the daddy when it comes to stablity. I hope it true

The rumour is true but Apple have for a number of years ported their OS to the PC platform - BUT NEVER RELEASED IT.

Some of the rumours behind this recent port are to do with whether Microsoft releases another Office Suite (there's more word-processing than CG done on computers). It was sort of an unspoken threat that if Microsoft talked too many software suppliers out of supporting Macs, the MacOS would migrate and become a competitor in PC land.

Loved your "reading the AM manual on the cave wall" jibe though... Just think how far you could push the software if you had a manual that explained all the features available!

Yardie
03-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Okay everyone has a hard time when the first get AM. I donít really want to knock Martin and his crew. The help in AM is a mess right (the manual has not been proof read for sure). When you select a word like constraint in AM and hit F1 all you get is a menu list, nothing there real to tell you how to set-up a constraint. Some how I believe Windows has messed up the HTML for the hash help. BUT if you open up the Hash CD and then open up the Documentation folder you will find Technical Ref (HTML). This folder and the files in it are more helpful then the help that comes with the program. Donít you guys think its time you got our heads together and made a page with a list of all known AM bugs and fixes. The Idea makes sense to me. I love animation and love to see other peopleís efforts too

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.