PDA

View Full Version : lost island

FLCL
06-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi,

am attempting something for d'artiste's matte painting 2 book. This sketch has taken just over a week to get to, and am pretty happy with composition and mood. If anyone has any last suggestions i'd like to hear em.

Just starting on the matte now : )

thanks

ps previous versions were here
http://www.mattepainting.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3238

http://www.richnosworthy.com/temp/landscapeCS_028.jpg

bechira
06-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Hi. First of all, congrats for the sketch. It has a very cool feeling and atmosphere.

Just a few personal thougts to make it better:
- the center stones guide the eye to the center of interest, but there is almost nothing. try to make some details there. In my opinion, the center of interest should be the strongest part in a composition.
- in my opinion, I would move the center stone more to the right to add some more depth in the image and also to attenuate the stones importance.

these are just my personal thoughts.
keep it up man!
ps: the comp in your avatar look better than the full one.

roguenroll
07-02-2007, 07:32 AM
awesome, i like the color pallet

milanschere
07-03-2007, 11:36 AM
strong concept.

FLCL
07-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks all, and thanks in particular bechira for taking the time to add those thoughts. I understand what you mean by the lack of any particular focal point, for me it was the points of the two rocks almost meeting, but i can see what you mean by them looking like they should be leading to something.

I've also tried moving the rock more to the right abit, but felt it lost some of the mood of the piece by doing so. I will play abit more with the positions of the two main rocks to see what else may be possible with it.

Thanks very much

CodeNothing
07-05-2007, 06:37 PM
very nice! My only crit is the rock on the left, right, and distant mountain are all the same height. Which adds to the lack of focal point. they all seem important. I'd also push the far left rock just a weeeee bit back. so it doesnt compete with its neighbor so much.

very very cool though.

Suirebit
07-07-2007, 06:16 PM
What kind of brushes you use for the sketching? :)

FLCL
07-07-2007, 07:57 PM
just used the standard photoshop chalk brush - think its in the natural media brush set. Nothing fancy just turn on pressure sensitive opacity. Works a treat!

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2007, 07:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.