PDA

View Full Version : Fur Questions

spiralof5
06-30-2007, 03:49 AM
Here's a few simple questions about fur.

1. I read that they do no work great with polygons. Is that true? I've seen some decent polygonal fur renderings but there was a post suggesting NURBS works ten times better.

2. Can you use dynamics with polygonal fur?

3. Do I have unwrap my UVs? How well are seems handled between the fur and UVs?

hakanpersson
06-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Are you tolaking about 2 things at the same time? Polygonal fur, and polygon objects with fur on?
Fur worked bad with polygon objects as far as I got to understand it. Specificly direction painting was a pain, some parts of the fur was just impossible to affect, and direction is also one of the few fur maps you cant edit in photoshop (ofc you can, but you wont understand how).
2. Dynamic works on polygonobjects, and I think it works with polygon/nurbs-fur too, as long as the history isnt deleted.
3. It works ok with texture-seams, but migt be hard to cover the edge, ofc you can download an iff-reader to photoshop and you edit the maps there. As far I can remember I preferred textureseams before distorting and strectching the uv-map too much.
Fur is difficult for all I know, but as you mentioned, it's supposed to work much better with nurbs, but I havent tried.
/Håkan

spiralof5
07-01-2007, 03:25 AM
well should I use hair instead of fur then?

spiralof5
07-01-2007, 06:09 AM
o.k. so the hair drives the fur. Sweet. But what does the history of my polygonal mesh have anything to do with maya dynamics not working with fur? Since fur works on normals my history shouldn't effect that right?

Thank you!!

CGTalk Moderation
07-01-2007, 06:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.