PDA

View Full Version : laptop advice

CookieMonster
06-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Hey everyone

Hope you can help me. I am in the multimedia indstry and use a massive array of software including photoshop, flash, indesign, illustrator, adode premiere, combustion, 3ds max the list goes on and on. I was wondering could anyone offer advice on what laptop would best suit my needs.

Thanks
Gemma

cyphyr
06-29-2007, 02:11 PM
The laptop that best suites your needs is down to your budget, the more buck the more bang! If you could give us an idea of budjet than I'm sure a list of models and spec will be forthcomming. Another point worth concidering is whether you will need to be able to work without mains power for some duration.

If you can streatch to it the MacBook Pro is on of the most powerfull laptops available at the moment and as its intel based is quite happy running both the Windows opperating systems and OSX.

Also take a good look at the Boxx offerings.

cyphyr

SanjayChand
06-29-2007, 09:16 PM
macbook pro is a rip off. The same spec'ed HP costs almost $1000 less.

Id say get the most powerfull laptop with the largest screen that you can afford. The HP DV9000t is nice and so is the Dell XPS M170. Boxx apparantly has awesome support.

TestType
06-30-2007, 08:07 AM
macbook pro is a rip off. The same spec'ed HP costs almost $1000 less.

Id say get the most powerful laptop with the largest screen that you can afford. The HP DV9000t is nice and so is the Dell XPS M170. Boxx apparently has awesome support.

I still fail to see how the MacBook Pro is a ripoff. I'm having a very hard time finding laptops online with the same specs for less.
As far as I can tell, the Dell XPS M170 is old and discontinued. And the Dell XPS M1710 with similar (the closest, yet actually worse) specs than the cheapest MBP costs $2788, $3187 if you upgrade the gpu (while still worse than what the cheapest MBP offers). The screen size is bigger on the M1710, but all the components in it are older, worse and much more heavily priced as far as I can see.

I'm no apple fan, but it seems to me that people are wrongly accusing Apple of overpricing components. I may be a bit biased though because I have more experience with the laptop market here in Europe, which is a very different beast. With the general high price of laptops in Europe the MBP is very competitively priced indeed.

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2007, 08:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.