PDA

View Full Version : Cargo pants rig

Ognyan
06-29-2007, 01:02 PM
I am modelling a female character with cargo pants (very wide and loose). The concept artist wants her to have a piece of the pants ripped off. So the problem is that the knee should be visible but I believe that when she performs complex moves the hole in her pants want look good and I am afraid that her leg might go through the fabric. Is there a way ot restrict the movement of the leg so that there are no bugs during complex animations. I am talking about an ingame character so I can't use cloth and so on. I'd appriciate any advices from people who had a similar problem or just an idea how can I solve it or should I have any concerns at all. Thank you!

JamSession
06-29-2007, 05:12 PM
The major problem you are going to run into is that no matter what you do, the hole will not always butt up to the knee.

A good example is when she bends her knee all the way, there will be a gap between the knee cap, and the pants which will look awlful.

Does you engine support blendshapes? If so, it may be wise to do a corrective blenshape for this one.

xenoid
06-30-2007, 06:02 AM
How about adding some controls around the knee region for the deformation of the pants? So that animators can pull them around when there's penetration or just to make them look good. If its for a game engine, putting extra joints there with good skinning should do the trick. :)

anthonymcgrath
07-04-2007, 02:47 PM
I was just about to suggest it but noticed that xenoid has already put it down - coupla extra joints to allow fine tune control around that knee should suffice :)

Ognyan
07-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Thank you very much for your suggestions! I don't have a lot of experience in rigging but I'll try all of your advices. I will post with the results soon:)

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2007, 06:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.