PDA

View Full Version : Whoops!!!"- Villian - Jonesy

Jonesy
03-21-2003, 06:42 PM
<<ADDED: The final animation--
http://home.attbi.com/~c.jones/movies/JonesyApril16.mov
>>>>

I screwed up when I named the thread, it's supposed to be "hero" not "villian", that's what I get for cutting and pasting without paying attention.

This is my first challenge and I've probably bitten off more than I can chew, but "Oh, well!".

The early doodle is very rough, but it's mostly for me anyway :)

I've been experimenting with getting comic book style shading for a few months now, and when I saw the challenge I figured, "Here's a chance to build a character to use it for."

Jonesy
03-21-2003, 06:48 PM
This test render shows the work already finished in the last view days of the head. The hair was and still is a pain, but it's coming along finally.

Even though it's only a head at this point you can already see the general look I'm going for with the materials and lighting. My goal is to make it 3D but look like a hand drawn modern comic book illustration. It's kind of a regular material/ cell shaded hybred. I'm still hammering out the look, but I think it's really starting to come together.

Jonesy
03-24-2003, 01:02 AM
A quick update screen, it also shows some of the wireframe, so you can get an idea at how it's put together.

Still have a lot of details to put in. Plus I'd still like to give him a cape, then all the fun of bones setup and morph targets.

Questions... Comments... Welcome.

Mahlon
03-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Hey, that's looking very good. Are you going to go all the way cel shaded-look or continue with the hybrid? I'd like to see at least one image all cel shaded, though I think the hybrid look you've got resembles a 'slick' style more than all cel would. Funny, but it also resembles some drawings by a friend of mine who worked for Malibu comics, back in the day.

Keep posting. What are your plans for animation?

Mahlon

Jonesy
03-24-2003, 11:16 PM
I would go with a full cell shaded look, but cell shading tends to look like cartoon animation, and I'm trying to get a comic book feel to the animation. Although you'll notice some definate cell shaded stuff in there, like the toon lines, and the shadow pools.

You could probably use regular cell shading to recreate the classic golden age comic look, but I'm trying to give it a more modern look with some air brushed sytle highlights.

I'm still playing with ideas for the animation. But I'm thinking something along the lines of a big usless lightshow, that doesn't do anything, or just knocks him on his butt or somthing.

Fasty
03-25-2003, 05:00 AM
That looks really good! I really like the comic style you've adopted, and I'm very interested to see how it looks in motion!!

Jonesy
03-27-2003, 02:41 AM
Just added the cape, and put together a quick test animation of it blowing in the breeze.

You can download it here:
http://home.attbi.com/~moreroom/Comp_1.mov

A few more details to add, and then I'll get it all rigged up and start animating. Not sure if I'll hand draw the background or build a simple one in 3D, I guess it'll depend on time :)

Feel free to let me know what you think.

O.Martin
03-27-2003, 09:45 AM
Looking good! Very impressive style.

Jonesy
04-02-2003, 02:57 AM
finished up all the morph targets and I'm currently knee deep in character rigging. I did put together a quick speech test though.

Hope you like it.

http://home.attbi.com/~c.jones/movies/SpeechTest01.mov

Mahlon
04-02-2003, 07:49 AM
That's cool. Are you working on two's? Whatever you're doing looks good. I think it's one of the most effective things you can do to create a more 2d effect by rendering out on two's. Only suggestion would be that the mouth seems too open on 'now, now....'

Are you using BESM/Lightwave? Or something else?

Great.

Mahlon

Jonesy
04-02-2003, 08:32 AM
I am in fact rendering the animation at 15 fps, and for exactly that reason. It tends to look more hand drawn, 30fps often feels too perfect, and obviously CG.

One of my pet peeves is when studios mix framerates when they use 3D with 2D. Some animations are very carefull to match the art style and and it's a beautiful thing, others don't and it feels like you're watching two different animations spliced together (which sometimes is in fact the case).

I'm actually just using 3D Studio Max 5, and the illustrate plug-in (the ink 'n paint material in max 5 tends to be more buggy). I'm mostly mixing different falloff materials, and adjusting the output gradiants. That's combined with some hand drawn detail textures, and the lines are done seperatly, then multiplied on top in photoshop (or after effects for animations).

I am thinking about maybe experimenting with this effect in either Maya or Lightwave (I hear lightwave has some exceptional cel shading tools and plug-ins).But for right now, I'm sticking with Max beacuse it's what I'm best in.

I agree with you too, the "w" sounds on the "now"s don't quite look right, I'll have to fix it.

Mahlon
04-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Good. I use max as well, and I've an old educational license for Illustrate which I've never upgraded. I've been trying to wait on Final Toon to release a demo, so I can decide. I liked Illustrate, but I didn't get too far into pushing it, so maybe I will upgrade anyway and give it a go.

Mahlon:beer:

Jonesy
04-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Been working out technical glitches, and trying to get the rigging just right.

I think I've worked out most of the glitches (finally), the cape and hair mostly, as well as a small problem with the morph targets in the head. The rigging seems about right too, but I'm sure during animation I'll find a few places that I'll need to iron out.

I'm thinking of naming him Major Overkill, the idea for the animation is kind of an omage to comic book/ dragon ball Z power ups. He'll go into an impressive looking (I hope) powerup sequence that just keeps building until he powers up so much he explodes. Then I'll probably end with a steaming pair of boots falling to the ground, followed by the power bracelets... for comic effect.

Also attached a new screen.

Fasty
04-05-2003, 03:37 AM
Major Overkill! I like it! :applause:

What does your rig look like?

Jonesy
04-06-2003, 01:02 AM
The rig is a standard Character Studio Biped, with a look at constraint attached to a point helper for the eyes. Actually the weighting on most of the body went smoother than normal for me, I think I did a much better modelling job on some joints like the shoulders, and many areas like the hands needed very little tweeking. Of course I'm usually rigging realtime models so this time around I had a lot more polys in the joints to work with.

The biggest headache is the pelvis area, where the legs meet the pelvis. This area always seems to need the most work, if anyone knows a trick for setting this up let me know... I seemed to have it set up well enough now, I might find I need to tweak more as I pose him, but that's normal.

The other headache was the cape, I thought I had it set up and ready to go, then I moved the character, and the cape stayed put (probably the cloth simulation not working with character studio or somthing)... I ended up not skinning the cape and just parenting it to the 2nd spine bone, and that's done the trick.

Jonesy
04-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Another rough test animation, this one playing around with the camera setup, early timing, and an early test of magic rays that will shoot out of his power bracelets as part of his fatal power-up (although right now only one bracelet, and it's still very raw).

http://home.attbi.com/~c.jones/movies/MagicTest01.mov

Suggestions and comments welcome. Especially suggestions on timing, staging, secondary motion, anticipation, or follow through.

There's some great talent on these challenges and I'll take as many tips as I can get. Also thanks to all those who've already posted tons of support and suggestions.

grury
04-08-2003, 04:12 PM
as u say is still very raw...so maybe a bit difficult to coment on the movement itself, it seems tho that is a bit too slow going up, another thing that seems to be a bit over the top is the cape, think there is far too much movement compared with the guys action...

love your rendering tho and also the lip sync come out pretty good...

Jonesy
04-12-2003, 11:05 AM
A slighly more polished test animation, it's heavily compressed to reduce file size, and is missing the toon lines (they take a while to render so I do them last); but it should show the general effect I'm going for and the timing.

http://home.attbi.com/~c.jones/movies/MagicTest02.mov

I still need to finish the end part of the animation, and I'm going to have to hurry because I'll be moving to california to start my new job next weekend :)

>>>update.... Now with new crispier, tasier, backgrounds!

Mahlon
04-12-2003, 05:59 PM
That' looking good. I like the effects you've got going on, and the style is looking very nice. I've been experimenting with Illustrate recently, and also Cartoon Reyes, trying to tame them into what I want. Would you mind if I private-mailed you with some questions about how you achieve some good line work with Illustrate? I'm not able to get very good results so far.

Mahlon

Jonesy
04-13-2003, 09:56 AM
Go ahead and private message or e-mail me, but I'm not too sure how much help I can be, I've pretty much just been using the default settings :)

One thing I did notice on some of the toon line plug-ins though is that scale is very important. You might want to check to make sure your scale isn't extremely large or extremely small, I had some strange results with that before.

chepe297
04-13-2003, 10:31 AM
The details and effects looks pretty good so far Jonesy! :scream:

Jonesy
04-17-2003, 04:41 AM
Here's the lastest versoin of the animation, I'm moving this weekend so I may not have any time to make more tweaks. It's pretty much done, although I'd like to add sound f/x and tweak a few things, but this may end up being the final animation.

(2.2megs)

grury
04-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Well done dude, your rendering kicks ass, love the little detail of the bracelets falling at the end.

Good luck!

sketchyjay
04-18-2003, 02:25 AM
feels like a comic. great style.

jay

Milho
04-19-2003, 01:12 PM
You realize how much you miss the soundfx when you don't hear 'em ;)

Besides :buttrock:

Fasty
04-19-2003, 01:17 PM
Great work! If the challenge's focus was on style, you'd get my vote hands down! It would be a shame not to tweak it some more, as slightly better movement of his body could make this a winner! Perhaps he should react more when he gets hit, because at the moment it could be missed if you're not watching carefully. Great work otherwise! :applause:

RichGC
04-22-2003, 12:55 AM
Excellent mate, id say tweak his movment some more as well, bit rigid at the moment although still great :)

Jonesy
04-30-2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the comments and support. Got a new job and had to move to California so I didn't get to tweak the final animation any like I wanted to.

Oh, well! The whole point for me was to see if I could actually create somthing with the comic style rendering I've been perfecting, and I'd say I definately suceeded in that. Maybe if I get some free time I'll work on it some more for my demo tape.

Again the final animation if anyone missed it:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.