PDA

View Full Version : Settings for flicker free veg?

stevecullum
06-28-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm trying to find some optimized render settings that will allow me to have an animated vista of a forest, without the dreaded flicker.

I'm using Vue 6, so it should be possible, but so far I either have to wait 30 mins per frame or have jittering trees in the mid to far regions :(

Any help is greatly apreciated!

bruno021
07-02-2007, 01:07 PM
There are a few ways to reduce flicker. First thing is to delete any bump you have on distant plants. Problem is if you're animating, all plants will be faraway at some point, so you may need to delete bump on all plants ( leaves, not trunk).

Add a lot of AA, yes, there is no way you can get away without lots of AA, but NO texture AA, useless.
Use soft AA strategy and/or use some distance blur. This option is found in the advanced animation window. Use a small radius (0.2 max), otherwise, everything will be blurred.

stevecullum
07-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm wondering if there is a way to set up a distance to camera gradient mask for the bump maps so I only get bumps within the first 9 meters or so. In any case I'll give your settings a go.

Would AA set at Broadcast be enough for these settings or am I looking at some customised config?

bruno021
07-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Broadcast might be enough if you use some distance blurring. Otherwise, you'll need a lot more AA (min 4 max80, quality 80% minimum)

As for bump, I don't know if using a distance to camera input instead of a position input will work, but definitely worth a try.

stevecullum
07-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks for those :)

Intel plans to release an 80 core processor in 5 years...long rendering times may become a thing of past finally!

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2007, 03:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.