PDA

View Full Version : Write RGB-Channel to Z-Depth-Channel?

demdike
06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Good day everybody,

my current problem is the well known limitation of PaintEffects, they get bad antialiasing if partially hidden behind geometry in the scene. The usual workaround (not overly satisfying in this case) is to render them at a resolution twice as big as desired and scale them down in compositing. To avoid this I thought of the following:

I was wondering if there's a possibility to take an iff-sequence with no existing or empty Z-Depth and write one of the Colorchannels (R, G or B, doesn't matter) to this Z-Channel, either via fcheck or in a CompositionApp.

If possible, the benefit would be that one could use Maya 8's Renderlayers, create with the LuminanceDepth-Preset an antialiased Z-Depth, write this to the Z-Channel of an .iff or .rla and then feed that back into the PaintEffects via Only render strokes and Read this DepthFile: = iff/rla-sequence one just created.

So, am I nuts, did I get something wrong or could this be done somehow?

beaker
06-28-2007, 11:33 PM
For the quality issue, they added an option in the render globals about 3-4 years ago that auto renders at a higher rez and then downsizes it to correct aliasing issues. I don't have maya in front of me to tell you the exact setting. I believe "oversampling" or something like that.

demdike
06-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the reply, I am aware of that.
I've got everything turned on in the Paint Effects Rendering Options, Strokes are enabled of course, and both Oversample and Oversample Post Filter are checked.
Apparently (and unfortunately) that does not influence the DepthChannel. I've attached 3 Images (detail) that probalby better illustrate what's troubling me.

beaker
06-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Oh, by bad, sorry for not reading your whole post before answering.

Personally I would just do render layers and comp it in post. The zdepth is always aliased, thats how they work. I rarely use depth compositing. Zdepth is just good for stuff like fog and blurs.

demdike
06-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Never mind:)

I know that an iff/rla's Depth-Channel isn't antialiased and also (probably) never will be.
What I was wondering is if one could, maybe manually, insert another, antialiased, Image or channel into the depth-file, and the use that for rendering the strokes.

Like the image below, this depth-file was created using the LuminaceDepth-Preset from Maya's renderlayers, but it's RGB; highly useful in Post but not usable as a depth-file during PaintEffectsRendering.

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2007, 02:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.