PDA

View Full Version : Transfering animation from hig poly to low poly

vongn
06-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Hello,

I have a high poly already riged and animated head, I was to build a low poly head and transfer the animation from the high poly head to the low poly head, i am suppost to use maya to do this. I am not to familiar with rigging in maya, I was wondering if anyone knew a way to do this??

thank you.

billy

bsb312
07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Im not sure why you would want to do this. Ussually its the other way around, tranferring the animation from the low poly to the high poly. But you are in luck cause there is a few ways to do this. You can export the animation as an fbx file and reimport into a new scene containing the low res charater rig. keep in mind that you need the rigs to be identical for this to work. Also you can plot the rig using a character set and retargeting the animation to the next charater set.

The simplest way to do this is to just unbind the skin and rebind to the new geo. Make sure to go back to the bind pose before you do this. If an error comes up, you need to turn off evaluate all nodes. The animation will still remain on the rig. I hope that this helps.

vongn
07-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Hey thanks for the reply, yea i binded the mesh of the low poly and it worked great! i had to add/delete some weights here and there but all in all it worked!, the reason i had to do this is that they wanted to show off normal mapping, so i took the 7000 poly head and made a 500 poly version with normals... it turned out pretty nice. thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2007, 07:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.