PDA

View Full Version : "Rig" wires

SGR
06-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Hey all,

I can only imagine this is a easy question (for most:)) - I have almost finished my model and I rigging it but I am getting stuck when it comes to a set of 3 wires that will move with the leg hen the pistons gets closer and back again.

I have been googleing and looking thru the help files - but Iam not sure what to serch for and I was hoping to get som pointers from you guy to what will work best.

I have included a little "diagram" to better illustrate what I am looking for.
I hope it makes sense and looking forward to hear you roars.. or what ever it may be.
Thanks in advanced.
SGr
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9033/wireriggp4.jpg

alec.tron
06-27-2007, 07:58 AM
The question generally is if you want it to be automated...meaning that the wire is moving with the wire holders automatically (which can be easily done via constraints as well) and having a secondary motion with collisions (which is the harder part---)....which I guess is what you want.
If you have Unlimited, Hair Follicles to drive a SplineIK would be your best (fastest to setup with the best default behaviour) option I guess... other possibilities would be soft bodies or cloth simulation.
c.

SGR
06-27-2007, 09:27 AM
The question generally is if you want it to be automated...meaning that the wire is moving with the wire holders automatically (which can be easily done via constraints as well) and having a secondary motion with collisions (which is the harder part---)
c.

Hey thank you ofr the quick respons - I will take a look at what you mentioned - the goodthing isthat now I have better idea to what to search for...

Cheers, and I will return when I got a update...

SGr

SGR
06-27-2007, 10:37 AM
hey - I was just thinking about a few other things:

1. will it be able to make the piston (bottom of picture) controle the secondary motion?
2. Will this have any negative affects to a IK setup I was thinkin about doing for the whole robot?! or will I have plenty controle over the leg movements wit this so far?!

And again any hins or guides will be much apprechiated since I am new to the game and what sometime seem to be tha hardest is to find the right word for what I am looking for...

Best,
SGr

alec.tron
06-27-2007, 10:44 AM
I wouldn t bother too much with the wires at this point.... get your body rig working first of as the secondaries/automations will be a layer ontop of the rig picking up motion from the main rig... when you got the set up, check this search to give you some ideas on how to deal with hairs & collisions (to get full control over them hairs can be somewhat difficult tho).
http://forums.cgsociety.org/search.php?searchid=5466589
There s also plenty of other options discussed in those threads...

c.

SGR
06-27-2007, 10:52 AM
when you got the set up, check this search to give you some ideas on how to deal with hairs & collisions (to get full control over them hairs can be somewhat difficult tho).

c.

aargh you are a king :-) I will look it thru.. and again thank you for you quick reply to my questions. Much apreciated...

nilslerin
06-27-2007, 08:14 PM
I wouldn t bother too much with the wires at this point.... get your body rig working first of as the secondaries/automations will be a layer ontop of the rig picking up motion from the main rig... when you got the set up, check this search to give you some ideas on how to deal with hairs & collisions (to get full control over them hairs can be somewhat difficult tho).

c.

Link doesn't seem to work. I was really looking forward to reading it.

SGR
06-28-2007, 06:43 AM
odd it worked yesterday... try this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/search.php?searchid=5469492)

alec.tron
06-28-2007, 08:43 AM

weird that it just works on the day the string is first used...
anyway, it was simply a search in all maya subgroups with hair & collision ....alternativley try hairs / collisions as well to find some more..
c.

nilslerin
06-28-2007, 10:43 AM
New link doesn't work either. I did the search though and found a lot of usefull stuff. Don't know if I found the thread you guys were refering to, what was the name of the thread?

SGR
06-28-2007, 10:51 AM
New link doesn't work either. I did the search though and found a lot of usefull stuff. Don't know if I found the thread you guys were refering to, what was the name of the thread?

Hey,
It was not a thread but the search result on Hair from maya + sub forums... :-)

nilslerin
06-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Hey,
It was not a thread but the search result on Hair from maya + sub forums... :-)

Oh, that explains it. thanks

CGTalk Moderation
06-29-2007, 02:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.