PDA

View Full Version : Implementing videogame style controls for maya using melscript

helicopterr
06-26-2007, 09:27 PM
So I am wondering if this is possible. I want to write a mel script that would allow me to bind custom keys to animation clips and dynamically place them in the trax editor as I play through the timeline, like a video game.

For instance, say I have animation clips of a character jumping and another of him walking a step forward.

I would bind the jump to the up arrow key and walking a step forward to the right arrow key.
I would play the timeline and press up forward forward and down and the trax editor will record the times where I pressed those keys and place the appropriate jump/walk clip at those time slots in the trax editor.

Any idea if something like this could be done with mel?

calmasacow
06-26-2007, 09:41 PM
anything is possible.

sound completly doable there is a joystick server on highend 3D that you can use too.

Would take some coding I would imagine though.

badtertle
07-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm currently trying to learn a bit of mel scripting now, so i have a little pet project while i learn. I'm making a really crappy version of "the incredible machine" only using maya. I have a working prototype for just the basic setup, but I'd like to know how to edit the trax clips using mel so I can make some more complicated interactions. The script editor was very unhelpful in giving a clue as to any commands, and i didnt' see anything in the documentation or command ref that would help. (although i probably just dont know what I'm really looking for/at)

I have a feeling learning mel is going to be a long, hard road....hopefully rewarding though.

rbublitz
07-25-2007, 03:51 PM
I looked into this a few years back. It can not be done in mel. It has to be written as a plugin.

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2007, 03:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.