PDA

View Full Version : PShop and Painter

koon69
03-21-2003, 04:23 AM
Most people use PSHop for texture painting. Anyone use Painter to? Any reason not to? Does painter support alpha channels?

Thanks

Crazzy Legs
03-23-2003, 02:46 PM
ya man. I don't see a reason not to. Look at all 3d painting software out there, a lot of those companies are throwing the term "natural media" around now, well Painter has had it for a while. Painter 3D was a direct approach to texture mapping with Painter. Painter 3D was released 3 from MetaCreations (they used to own Painter) and had many features of Painter 5. I think the paint engine was the same. It sold for a couple hundred bucks new, but you might be able to find it for less than $40 on ebay.

Back to the point. Yes. Painter is a great tool for texture work. One reason that immediatly pops into my head on why many people don't use it for textures is, because Photoshop is the industry standard. When the company wants to buy 2D software for texture artists, they buy Photoshop knowing it can do pretty much do anything seen in any other paint package. So you can buy one piece of software and get a ton of top quality features rolled into one program. Otherwise you buy Painter and a couple other programs and you start spending much more money on software. Painter makes getting the natural media quality easier, and their brush and paint engines where and still might be much more robust.

As far as people who use Painter for texturing, I know there was a lot of talk of using Painter 3D on the Pixels.net website awhile back. The Pixels Power User Tutorials talked about using Painter 3D quite a bit. They were written by Dan Platt & Clyde Duensing III. For straight up Painter being used as a texturing tool, no. I don't know anybody off the top of my head. But I would do it if I wanted my textures to look a certain way that would be easiert to achive in Painter. I wish more people were not affraid of using other software to do texturing. Painter is one powerful piece of software.

manfriday
03-23-2003, 07:49 PM
I first hearf about painter from an interview with Shane Caudel.
He did the textures for unreal Tournament with it I think.

Painter 7 is a pretty fantasic application. Strange interface at first.. but I love it.

I had painter 3D. I would probably skip that application if I were you.
I bought it on ebay for like 40 bucks and I just didnt dig it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.