PDA

View Full Version : Jorel Latraille, Newbs, Maya!

JorelLatraille
06-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi all,

I was really glad to see this little rigging challenge on here as I needed something to start working on now I just finished my degree :)

Just wanted to throw a little question out there, is it worth using blendshapes for certain muscle deformation on the neck, etc when his head is rotated seeing as this is a hyper-real rig. Also I know there are ways of using targets/spotlights to control the blendshapes so that they only turn on when a certain position is attained! I'm not sure how to do this though and I know there are plugins for this kind of thing but was wondering if anyone knows how to tackle it and make them by hand?

good luck everyone! :D

JorelLatraille
06-26-2007, 03:45 PM
I did some further reading on michael comet's plugin for pose deformers and it seems like a long process in actually getting this kind of thing to work also it sounds like it takes quite a bit of calculation so slows down the rig, I will probably look at this more on later full body rigs but dont think its worth it for the time being on this head!

deatheater4ever
06-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi all,

I was really glad to see this little rigging challenge on here as I needed something to start working on now I just finished my degree :)

Just wanted to throw a little question out there, is it worth using blendshapes for certain muscle deformation on the neck, etc when his head is rotated seeing as this is a hyper-real rig. Also I know there are ways of using targets/spotlights to control the blendshapes so that they only turn on when a certain position is attained! I'm not sure how to do this though and I know there are plugins for this kind of thing but was wondering if anyone knows how to tackle it and make them by hand?

good luck everyone! :D

Yeah ............ If u use blendshapes on the neck it would add that extra bit of completeness to your rig. you could like turn his head to the left and the bring out the vein on the right side of the neck and afterwards u could connect that blendshape to the rotate Y of that neck joint ( rot Y in maya ,i think it's rot Z in max )

twidup
06-27-2007, 11:17 AM
actually it would be the rotation of whatever the down axis is on the joints, ie, the axis that points to the next joint.

Probably would be either x or y, but can also be z

JorelLatraille
06-27-2007, 12:43 PM
well im gona finish the blend shapes for facial expressions and other features, then come back to the idea of adding extra detail for muslce's using either blend shapes or wire deformers (thanks for the tip todd) and see how it goes! ;)

JorelLatraille
06-27-2007, 04:13 PM
I have another couple of interesting questions...

1. Scripts created by others? I went to a maya master class on toon rigging a year or so ago and still have the handouts from the course! They showed us some very nifty techniques using some pre-made scripts. I was wondering if it was ok to use them on this challenge to help with the setup?

2. The 1st script was an animation to blendshape script which baked out the animation on the joints to create in-betweens for a blendshape. Now this would be extremely useful to get a more realistic looking set of blendshapes for this rig, but one of the little snags is that the blendshapes require a target folder which contains the set of in-betweens if I am correct. If this is the case to use the rig you will need the complete working directory and not just the .ma/.mb file of the rig?!?! Would this be a problem?

3. Also was thinking of using Judd Simantov's facial control script to help attach the blendshapes to his controls. Although if this isnít allowed thatís not a problem I will either write something or do it by hand to my own!

4. For the added control around lips and eyes you can use clusters/joints and there is another helpful script by Erick Miller from the hyper-real book which attaches them nicely for you.

Basically is any of this allowed or do we have to attach and create things by hand? :)

twidup
06-27-2007, 05:45 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=216&t=438416

As stated in there. autoriggers are not allowed, unless you wrote it.

as for other scripts, they are. as are plugins actually. So you could use a PSD if you wanted to :)

JorelLatraille
06-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Excellent (rubs his hands), I've just been watching chad vernon's showreel and checking out his "tiny" rig, omg its excellent, I'm gonna ask him how he did the added facial controls, whether he used a pre-made script or wrote his own because he seems pritty hot in the language dep too. He's only just graduated as well... :eek:

JorelLatraille
07-03-2007, 05:29 PM
ok here is a picture of him so far, iv hooked up all the blendshapes, might give it to a few friends later to play with, see what they think! Gonna do a little animation too and stick it youtube :) loads more to do tho!

JorelLatraille
07-03-2007, 06:04 PM
ok here is the little demo of the blendshapes I promised. I love crits so please throw some if you got any! :bounce:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZOprb77LuVE (http://www.youtube.com/v/ZOprb77LuVE)

MrJames
07-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Nice work Jorel!!

JorelLatraille
07-09-2007, 10:51 AM
lol cheers dude :) I should have it almost complete by the end of this week! Hope everyone else is still doing well :bounce:

JorelLatraille
07-13-2007, 06:17 PM
well iv almost finished him, im just sorting out the tongue and then he will be uploaded before 12:00 GMT tonight! I would love any crits cos it gives me a chance to change some things before the deadline, and i plan on doing a little animation for him by next week :thumbsup:

JorelLatraille
07-13-2007, 10:38 PM
ok, here is the finished rig, please post any crits! The eye controls and extra stuff can all be accessed on the head control attributes! Enjoy :D

JL_Rig_v1.0.rar (http://www.3d-tvu.co.uk/personal/files/JL_Rig_v1.0.rar)

P.S. I'v just realised i have forgotten a couple of blendshapes, one for tongue curl and the eyes when the controller is moved up and down! :eek: il sort them 2mos night hopefully!

H2
07-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Very kool rig I had alot of fun messing around with the character. Its easy to use and seems to have all the controls needed for facial animation. :thumbsup:

nottoshabi
07-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Nice work JorelLatraille. I have a couple of things I like to say. I would push the targets to a maximum pose maybe a little out of the normal. For example the Puker, make it really come out really pucker his lips together like he would be sucking thick milk shake out of a thin straw. The smile needs the corners of the mouth to come up. Now it looks like his mouth is being streched. The eye brows same thing really exagerate the expression the surprised, make it look like he just got kicked in the balls. His eyes, dont make a blink and an eyelid slider its pointless let the animator have the fredom to do his own blink. Plus you dont blink both eyes at the same time so if you make an eye blink slider where his eyes blink at the same time you are limiting the animator. Same with the Angry_Scared. The nostrills, some of the upper face moves that has nothing to do with the nostrills. If other parts of the face move that has nothing to do with the nostrils, when the face animates it will look like its dancing instead of pulling emotions.

When you build face targets think of muscle movements and not expressions. You use the muscles in conjunctions with other muscles to pull expressions. Your face rig will blossom and be more animator friendlly, if the animator can mix and much muslce movements instead of expressions.

Keep it up.

JorelLatraille
07-15-2007, 11:11 PM
cheers for the crits dude, i see the nose problem, will sort that! As for the other expressions you are totally right, I'll bring the pucker to more of an extreme, and sort the smile and even frown out... found them to look a little odd at their extremes. For the eyelids I will remove the other controls, and see what I can do to add more control to the lids, and the blinks should be individual lol they are on mine ;p! Thanks for the help!

JorelLatraille
07-18-2007, 01:10 PM
ok, iv added a few more controls. I tried to fix the smile and frown but still not too pleased with the smile... something off about it when you reach the extreme. I also made the pucker more intense but to be honest i prefer my old one lol. Again if there are any crits please let me know, especially if you think it could do with more control in a certain area! Hope you enjoy playing with it!

Also if you need it for an older version of maya just let me know, i will convert it in a hex editor, although im not sure if it will work in maya 7.0 or 6.0 as my version used a different form of "closest point on mesh" in a script...

Anywho here it is JL_Rig_v1.1.rar (http://www.3d-tvu.co.uk/personal/files/JL_Rig_v1.1.rar)

nottoshabi
07-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Ok you gave the same thing you did last time. Here is a link you should read if you want to build face rigs. LINK (http://face-and-emotion.com/dataface/expression/muscles.jsp) You can click on the muscles to see the movement. This helpet me out alot, I was in the same boat as you are when I first started. It seemed to me that going to far is no need and it makes the face destorted, and crapy. Then an animator set me straight and said. NO destort, destort, and destort. He knows how far he can take it, not to destort but you need to give him that option. We are not rigging for our self, we are rigging for them.

JorelLatraille
07-18-2007, 09:57 PM
sweet man, thanks for all the help, ill have a little look at this :wise::thumbsup::love:

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2007, 09:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.