PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: George Kiparissous

icedeyes
06-26-2007, 11:39 AM
George Kiparissous is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/view_entries.php?challenger=12799)

Latest Update: Line Art or Model: the start of the posing and change of dress
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1189387732_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4639874#post4639874)

icedeyes
06-26-2007, 11:42 AM
This is a great theme... the contest has become a little complicated with all these categories but i think i am posting in the right place :scream:... I have an idea that has been nesting in the back of my head for about two months...

Will post it later today... maybe a concept sketch will come with it at that time...

Anyway, have fun and good luck everyone,
George

arturro
06-26-2007, 01:42 PM
hello ice!
good to see you here, I can't wait to see your crazy idea. It's great subject as we all can realize some old stuff that bothered us. Final pieces of art here will be amazing I suppose.
show your ideas!

icedeyes
06-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks a lot for the support Artur...:thumbsup: I hope i wont dissappoint you...

Geta-Ve
06-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Yo, I shall be watching my friend. RSS makes it sooo easy to watch all your friends challenges. God bless RSS (rhymes)

:)

Darksuit
06-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Good luck and welcome to the challenge, Keep it Odd!

icedeyes
06-27-2007, 08:11 AM
First of all, thank you very much Geta-Ve and Darksuit...

Yesterday i wasn't at home so i didn't manage to post anything...

I will make up for it right now by at least posting the scenario for the image.... This was an idea i had while i talked with some people about creating a poster to deter the younger ones from drugs and addictions... It was a series of images i wanted to create but unfortunatelly it didn't go through...

<<Fallen Heroes and Rundown Fairytales>>

This is a time when superheroes have lost their friends and families after a long war with the forces of evil... The world is now a peaceful place but not for them... They are tormented by memories of their loved ones...

So, for example, we have someone who has the powers of mister fantastic (from fantastic 4, the stretchy guy) in a dark room where he is injecting drugs and this causes him to stop having control over his powers... He starts liquidating but at that moment he realises that he wants to live... So, with whatever control he has over his form and powers, he stretches his hand (using his power) to reach for an emergeny alarm button on the far wall... photos of his dead friends and wife are scatered on the floor...

And about a million such images have been swirling in my brain... But i think this one is the most complete at the moment... It would be strange to see a superhero getting himself killed right... I think it fits the theme...

Hope you like it too... I am trully excited about this one...

Have fun,
See you around

icedeyes
06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Another idea is the same as the famous Beatles song "Eleanor Rigby".

I was thinking of using the verses:

Lives in a dream
Waits at the window, wearing the face
that she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for

Will sketch out for both later today probably...

icedeyes
06-27-2007, 09:19 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1182975597_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1182975597_large.jpg)

1. A superhero (that has the ability to change shapes) that has fallen on a drug addiction, because of the death of all his friends and wife, loses control of his powers and starts to melt. He realizes he wants to live so he tries to hit the emergency help button on the wall.

2. A woman is waiting for someone to come by her house. He is the love of her life, so she chooses to dress up and wear the prettiest face in her collection (literally). He never came and she never stopped waiting.

3. A dragon attacks a sheep herd every once in a while and eats some. After many attacks, a sheep that has got fed up with this picks up a sword and fights back.

Tell me which idea you like the most please. I love all three of them so i set them under your consideration in hope that you will give me a way out.

Thank you very much in advance for any comment,
George

icedeyes
06-27-2007, 09:30 PM
double post

OKMER
06-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Hehe Ice!!!Nice to see you're in man!I wish you a lot creating fun!Personally I love the idea and story of the woman wearing a face and the fact she never stopped waiting near the window;And really deep,strange and dramatic feeling i got reading that idea!
Anyway, no matter the one you'll choose, i'll surely keep dropping by!Good luck mate!:beer:

icedeyes
06-28-2007, 09:16 AM
hello OKMER... first of all, thank you very much for dropping by and i'm really glad you like at least one of the ideas...

I will probably start this the day after tommorow but i will wait it out for a day, maybe someone else will share his opinion on which idea is better...

Please tell me if you like any of the afore mentioned ideas... I will be more than greatful...

Have fun and good luck,
George

Geta-Ve
06-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Dude, I love both the superhero idea and the elanor rigby idea. I think however the ER idea has a lot more weight to it and definitely gives off that strange feeling.

I say this often and I mean it every time but I think if done right dude this could be a winner for sure. My advice to you is take your time. 4 months we have! So pace yourself and do the best you can.

Cheers!

icedeyes
06-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks a million for your support Geta-Ve... 2 out of 2 for Eleanor Rigby so far...

Anyone else willing to give me some input?

have fun,
George

Slav
06-28-2007, 01:58 PM
hey man! great stuff is it going to be animated? because it looks it from what you have up so far. didnt have time to read everything because i have to run to work soon. but good start man ill keep an eye out.

icedeyes
06-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Thank you for dropping by Slav... These are different ideas and not just one storyboard...

I am not sure as to wether i will animate my final idea or not... I am still thinking of entering the animation contest if i finish this in time and have the time to work on the animation part of the image (or maybe if i manage to make a quite impressive model)...

If you find the time to read the ideas please tell me what you think of them...

Cheers,
George

icedeyes
06-29-2007, 12:03 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1183071790_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1183071790_large.jpg)

I decided to go with Eleanor since that was what the people that visited this thread thought would have more impact..

I am starting to model the faces in her hand and the jars... I will model up to 10 faces though i dont have a fixed number right now...

This is the face that she will be holding in her hands, close to her hollow head... Its partly based (mostly for proportions and not so for the final form) on a friend of mine...

Comments and critique are most welcome...

Logick
06-29-2007, 12:15 AM
I think you have a good idea, and it will turn out very good. keep it up!

scootermaya
06-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Mouarf ! I new you greeck guys where crazy :scream:
I like your 2dn concept. Is this the one you have choosen?
You have a very good start on the face here. Isn't the jaw a little prononced? (you have a nice friend :love: )

Geta-Ve
06-29-2007, 07:50 AM
I think the face is a good start thus far. And far be it for me to tell you how to do your own piece, however I had imagined that the face in her hand would have a longing expression on it, since she is waiting and all.

Also the shape doesn't seem so femine at this point (from what I can tell)

Keep up the hard work man! It is going to be so exciting seeing you progress!

icedeyes
06-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Logick: glad you like it...

scootermaya: Yep... its the second one... glad you like it... i will push the jaw a little back... thank you for the critique...

Geta-Ve: First of all, thank you very much for your comments and critique... its the only thing that can help me improve... This is the second (or third) female face i have ever created so some femine proportions might be off... I will try and fix it... I might also add a texture today to check it out and trace where it is off.. The expression is not implemented yet, so dont worry, i will fix it...

Thank you once again for your comments...

Any further critique on what needs to be fixed will be greatly apprecated...

Have fun everyone,
George

Nekomouse
06-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi Icedeyes,
Thanks for your kind post on my thread. I think that your concept is really interesting. I don't know much at all about 3D stuff, but I think that the face you have so far looks really good. Can't wait to see the rest of your work.

Good Luck!

paulwdavidson
06-29-2007, 03:42 PM
I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Good luck

Paul

Xion-Cajou
07-02-2007, 02:26 PM
I like the idea behind your concept. A woman with a hollow head, holding her face
in her hands... thats really strange and it´s a cool interpretation of the song.

Keep it up icedeyes, and good luck:thumbsup:

icedeyes
07-02-2007, 07:55 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1183402550_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1183402550_large.jpg)

Nekomouse, paulwdavidson,xioncajou: First of all i want to thank you all for your support and for visiting my thread.

Now on to the WIP...

I changed some of the topology on the model to make it ready for animation just in case i need it (maybe if i have enough time i can make a small animation of this)...

Also, changed the proportions a little bit.. Pulled the chin back some, pulled the cheeks back and the cheekbones out a bit, created some eyelashes etc...

Finally i created a texture (color, bump and spec)...

I really hope she seams more of a female now... looks better to me but i also need your opinions...

Any comments and critique will be greatly appreciated...

Have fun people,
George

nwiz25
07-03-2007, 03:29 AM
hey bro!:scream: thanx again for visiting my thread! :love: :scream::bounce: .. me definately love the ER story .. very strong and funny the same time :P .. already me love ur latest update! good features and texturing :eek: looking forward to more ;) take care dude! have fun! :bounce:

polygonwarrior
07-03-2007, 04:32 AM
good luck buddy.:thumbsup:

MVDB
07-03-2007, 07:31 AM
So far so good!

Modeling looks nice! :thumbsup:

icedeyes
07-03-2007, 08:07 AM
nwiz25, CUBISIS, MVDB: Thank you very much for visiting my thread... I am really glad you like it...

Now on with the updates on progress... I am starting to visualise some of the parts in the room (gathering reference too) to get the atmosphere i want right... Also, i have some ideas for the woman but we will see how it all develops...

I hope i manage to recreate the image i have in mind's eye...

Once again, thank you all very much for your support... Any further C & C is more than welcome...

Have fun,
George

scootermaya
07-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Hi George,
It seems much better now.
I could be wrong, and faces are not my speciallity, but I do think there is a tiny "bug" in your mesh arround the mouth. Could you show the wire? Otherwise, here is the location where I think the prob is:

http://michel.cavro.free.fr/wip/george_medium.jpg

Michel

icedeyes
07-03-2007, 09:11 AM
thanks a lot for your reply scootermaya... it was supposed to be a smile wrinkle :D... I will post the wire as soon as i get home... thanks for the paintover...

Darksuit
07-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Looking forward to seeing the wires, once those are up i will make some comments. over all looking good.

icedeyes
07-04-2007, 06:12 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1183569146_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1183569146_large.jpg)

thanks for the reply... here is the promised wire... I went to a Metallica concert yesterday and i still feel tired so i didn't manage to make anything new yet...

tomorrow or even later today, i will try and post something new...

have fun,
George

walrus
07-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi, George, hope you had fun at your concert! I like the concept you're going with. One face down, one to go - I'll be curious to see what kind of face you choose for the woman herself,not the one she's holding... or will we only see her wearing this face? Will we see other faces in other jars?

One comment about this face - from the front view the nose seems kind of bulbous at the bottom. (It's not very noriceable from the 3/4 and side views.) I don't know your friend who you used as a reference - maybe her nose is really like that. If I were going to wear a face in a jar, I'd wear one with a perfect nose... but then, maybe that's because my nose in real life is already bulbous! :)

Good luck with it all!

icedeyes
07-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Hello Michael... Lots of fun at the concert but since i was in kind of the front rows, i endured some bruises.. Thank you for the comments...

She does have a little bubbly nose and my friend kind of has one too but i will tone it down a bit...

As for the real face that she has... She has none... The whole idea is that she is hollow inside (metaphorically and physically) and she tries to hide it by using the faces she has in the jars by the wall... I am quite sure that was not what the Beattles meant but i think it could make a powerful image in the end...

I was thinking that maybe the main character would wear a nice wedding dress (she was waiting for the love of her life after all), the room will look dusty (not sure about the decorations yet), her hollow head will be full of spider webs inside and so will the rest of her body that is seated on a cradle chair by a window (not sure if its called that way)...

Finally, i was thinking of giving the rest of her body (except from the face she holds in her hands) the look of an older woman... kind of withered to make it feel like she is decaying while she waits...

Please tell me what you think of this idea...

Have fun,
George

digital-bobert
07-05-2007, 04:20 PM
I miss doing 3d... looking good George.

icedeyes
07-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks a lot Bobby... Man, you can make 2d images look 3d anyway...:thumbsup:

I am still missing the 2d part of the game (or so to say) but i am studying hard to make it better...

Have fun,
George

walrus
07-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Please tell me what you think of this idea...

I'm liking it! The wedding dress, the dust... and especially the cobwebs around the room and inside the woman. All great ideas! Can't wait to see you put it all together.

icedeyes
07-05-2007, 10:28 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1183670910_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1183670910_large.jpg)

I made the nose quite smaller as Michael suggested (i hope that this is small enough, if not please tell me)...

I also found some time to start the second face in another jar or pinned to the wall... this is the face of an older woman and maybe this is her real face...

I hope you like it... c&c always welcome..

Have fun,
George

walrus
07-05-2007, 11:18 PM
:thumbsup:

musi
07-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Hey George,

Looking good so far. Like very much your idea with the wedding dress. What about getting that dress to be old and broken in places, with shreds of thin cloth hanging here and there? And spiders are good idea too... I also can imagine some different small "woman" objects filling her head.

And yes, her face looks so much better with the new nose.

Good luck!

icedeyes
07-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Michael: glad you approve:scream:

Sasha: really glad you like it.. not sure yet about the small objects in her head... i'll try it out and see if it works... lots of stuff to do till i finally get there :eek:...

Any further c&c is welcome

mdavid
07-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Wow! This is going really well, both in ideas and in how you're working on them. I'm another one who thinks the wedding dress is a great idea - it should be a very powerful and slightly haunting image. Good luck with this!

Xion-Cajou
07-06-2007, 01:59 PM
The new version looks more natural...:thumbsup: if she´s supposed to smile, you could
perhaps think about what a kind of smiling it is... sad or just happy... and
express this also with her eyes and eyebrows, as it´s a very emotional situation
she´s in...

Keep it up!

icedeyes
07-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Mark: happy to see you here... thank you for your kind words...

Semih: thank you... glad you like the new version... the expression is not final... i am not sure if i am going to give any of them any expressions since there are no muscles to contol them... but like plastic or wooden masks they could have been created with some expression... i am not sure yet... i will work it out as i go...

I will update again tonight or tommorrow... Lots ir wirj at my job but i will manage... any more c&c is welcome

have fun,
George

icedeyes
07-06-2007, 11:19 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1183760387_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1183760387_large.jpg)

worked a bit more, modelled the rest, made some adjustments in the geometry and retopologized some of it, uv mapped the old woman face and made a texture using three old women faces i found online... they were relatively low res so i had to enhance them a tad bit...

I hope you like the outcome... C&C more than welcome...

Have fun,
George

mdavid
07-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Wow! That looks fantastic. Very impressive :thumbsup:

icedeyes
07-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Thank you very much Mark... i am really glad you like it

Dironik
07-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Excellent texturing work.
Cheers :thumbsup:

PS: It seems to me that in showing by me area have a some problems.
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8562/127991183760387mediumwc7.jpg

Nickillus
07-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Well George,
that is looking mighty cool and I can't wait to see what you're planning to do with it.

musi
07-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Looking very good, George!
That's one of ten faces, is it? If the rest will be of the same quality - you are gooooood!

icedeyes
07-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Deser: will fix it ASAP... thanks for noting that out...

Nickillus: Glad you like it man

Sasha: Yep... thats two of the faces so far... gald you like 'em...

I also wached some episodes of an anime called Fullmetal Alchemist and the ideas in that one (for the Humunculus) are not far from what i was thinking for this lady... No soul, just memories of a past that might not even be hers... Strangeness i tell you...:scream:

Have fun,
George

MVDB
07-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Modeling looks nice and those last textures you did are very good (IMO).
I'll be following this thread..

AxelAlonso
07-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Hello George,
I really like all the direction you are taking, as for the idea and the modeling. The faces look very believable, and so the textures,, such really good work in so little time, the geometry looks so clean, I am bad in that! I agree with Sasha you are good! I also love the idea of the wedding dress, the spider webs, and all that hallow emptiness on her, for having no soul and just a past…were a past its very well reflected with connections hard to let go, so very well represented in the form of the spider webs…Well so far that’s what I had understand of your idea , very good work, I will look forward to see more updates…:thumbsup:

Xion-Cajou
07-09-2007, 10:51 AM
The face of the old woman has lots of personality, and looks pretty realistic.
A wardrobe full of faces like this, in a dark mood... spooooky :twisted:
I´m really curious how this develops...

Nigio
07-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Wow, this work is coming along very nicely. The faces are impressive. Keep it up!

icedeyes
07-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Michael, Axel, Semih, Giovani: I am extremelly glad you like it so far... I will try and post an update tonight (maybe another face or i will start the room just for a break)... I am still at work (we have plenty of new projects with tight deadline) but i promise that i will work on it today no matter what time i get home...

Thank you again for the encouraging words... I am deeply honored...

Have fun,
George

Kei-Acedera
07-10-2007, 02:42 PM
This is looking excellent! Really great face!

nwiz25
07-10-2007, 05:36 PM
super duper details! :eek: good god! this is great! me really curious c the pieces fall into place!

n speaking of which .. this is one awesome piece of the puzzle! :eek:

good work my friend! love the texturing! :love: :scream:

Quills
07-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Great texture on the skin - will look forward to seeing the story evolve!

Q

kingjai
07-10-2007, 08:58 PM
wow that is some good modeling work, it's looking great!

kingjai
07-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Wow, that's a nice face!!! the textures are workign great!! this is gonna be good!

walrus
07-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Great looking texture on that face, George! Keep it coming...!

Micro26
07-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Texturing is looking great and i really enjoy the concept and story.Keep the updates comin george :thumbsup:

icedeyes
07-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Kei-Acedera, nwiz25, Quills, kingjai, walrus, Micro26: thank you all for your very nice comments... i am really glad you all liked it and i am deeply honored...

icedeyes
07-10-2007, 10:26 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1184102802_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1184102802_large.jpg)

ok.. here is an update... i know this is now going a little slower than i started but i am kind of experimenting with what i can put into this in terms of forms...

The rockin chair... i know that half you at least will be puzzled when you see it... the idea behind it was that i was free forming the chair to get it into a strange shape and i thought to myself that i would really like this to feel old...

the first images that came to mind waw that of medieval thrones... so i said, what the heck... i have time.. i should at least give it a go...

i wanted to make this feel like a 17th century chair...i kept the forms kind of wavy (i like curves) and thought of how i could make the legs of the chair... I then decided to get the arms and the lower part of the chair connected with an animal form that was kept intentionally simple because i didn't want to draw to much attention to it...

Now, i really need you input on this one...

Should i keep it or scrap it? if you don't like it, should i replace the dog figures or the whole chair? please be brutal with it... i have the time to model a new one (the beauty of 4 months for a challenge)...

Thank you very much in advance for any input,
George

Xion-Cajou
07-11-2007, 03:01 PM
I like your design... it looks very balanced to me and fits your overall concept nicely.
You really have to keep the dogs... they give a good feel to it.

icedeyes
07-11-2007, 04:05 PM
thanks a lot Semih... i am glad you like it... i am still not sure so i am changing things all the time... i will post an update tonight...

have fun,
George

musi
07-11-2007, 05:18 PM
I would wait with decision about chair for later, when you will have more elements on place: the lady, some of the environment. If it will work with other things - keep it, if not - remake...

It's a bit massive, I was more imagining woven chair, with some of the sticks broken and with old hols...
It's not what I was expecting, but I like it! :thumbsup:

icedeyes
07-11-2007, 11:07 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1184191665_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1184191665_large.jpg)

Thank you very much for the advice Sasha. As you see i am following it..

I chose to leave the chair alone for now and start making the room starting from the door...

I intend to bash the door up a bit (maybe one of will hang loose from only one hinge) but this is the final shape of the door (except from the doorknob that still needs to be modeled)...

I really like how it turned out and I hope you like it too... C&c always welcome...

Have fun,
George

mdavid
07-12-2007, 01:50 AM
I really like the dogs in the chair and the heavy ornate look you are pursuing in the furniture. It somehow adds to the sense of mystery behind the scene. This is no normal woman - there is a story to her life and that is reinforced by the intriguing furniture in the scene. It all adds to the interest and the slight spookiness of it all

handlebar
07-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Great modeling, the attention to detail and style are fantastic.

Steve 8)

icedeyes
07-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Mark and Steve... Thank you very much for your comments... I am glad you like it... right now i am modelling the most tedious part imo... i am used to modelling characters and when i work with more rigid forms like furniture, i slow down a bit...

You are right Mark... I am trying to push the feeling of strangeness and darkness in this one using every piece of geometry i create...

Thank you again for your comments... any fursther remarks or impovements/suggestiosn will be greatly appreciated...

Have fun,
George

Kei-Acedera
07-12-2007, 07:02 PM
This is coming along nicely! The models are looking great :)

icedeyes
07-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Thank you very much Kei.. I will built some more props and then post an update with all of them in a room to see how / if they fit together... if not, i will make new ones.. good thing is that we have enough time on our hands for experiments...

musi
07-13-2007, 08:56 AM
This door goes well with chair, very good modeling!
Like it! :thumbsup:

polygonwarrior
07-13-2007, 09:00 AM
nice progess.will follow ur thread :thumbsup:

icedeyes
07-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Sasha and Rishikesh: Thank you very much... i am really glad you like it.. I 'll post the window tonight so i can get some opinions on that too..

Have fun,
George

icedeyes
07-13-2007, 09:18 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1184357893_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1184357893_large.jpg)

this is just a minor update... tried several designs for the window frame and this one truly stood out for me so i gave it a shot...

hope you like it... As always, an c&c is more than welcome...

Have fun,
George

mdavid
07-14-2007, 01:43 AM
It looks very elegant and I think it fits in well with the other elements. Lovely work!

musi
07-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Agree with Mark!
:thumbsup:

mim-Armand
07-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Ahh! I have a good feeling when seeing these renders! really great works!
Have to agreed with pre posts!

Goodluck buddy!
mim, :thumbsup:

AxelAlonso
07-15-2007, 07:56 AM
Hi George,

I like the style of the door and the window, the give the idea of a person whom its used to take attention to details, that relate something to them…so great for your character that has only past for resemblance of life. Very nice models it’s going to look great! good work!:thumbsup:

icedeyes
07-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Mark, Sasha, mim and Axel: I am trully gld you like the designs so far.. i didn't have time to work on this more during the weekend but i will continue today... so, drop by and offer some advise anytime...

Have fun,
George

icedeyes
07-19-2007, 09:35 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1184877355_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1184877355_large.jpg)

Hi everyone... this thread is alive and going on, i just had trouble because of a serious wrist strain (could lead to rsi is what my doctor said) so i couldn't work on it as much as i wanted because my wrist is in serious pain... I am trying to rest it as much as i can but job doesn't allow me too much of that...

Enough about me... here is a small update... the window is complete finally as well as the bookcase where the jars will be (probably some will be dropped... not sure yet)...

Please critique and comment on the models as well as whether they tie together in style and all...

Thank you very much in advance,
have fun,
George

shattered-fx
07-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Hi George,

Sorry about your wrist my freind,Perhaps you can take it more easier , We still have a long couple of months for this challenge so Im sure you still can pull out more amazing 3d objects and compositions!:thumbsup:

-Raffy

MY STRANGE BEHAVIOR ENTRY (ILLUSTRATION)

icedeyes
07-20-2007, 10:33 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1184967188_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1184967188_large.jpg)

Raffy, thanks very much for your support... I really appreciate it... Luckily enough the hand is feeling better now...

here are some jars that the faces will be in... i really wanted some variation so i made 4 of them... not really impressive models but i couldn't find references for more complex ones...

so, here they are and i hope you like them... the shader is just a placeholder and by no means final...

Any c&c is more than welcome...

Have fun,
George

PS. I might not be able to give you an update during the weekend (i will try thought) because i have another project i need to work on...

mdavid
07-21-2007, 01:52 PM
The jars look excellent - everything you've done has a consistent look and these jars fit in perfectly. My only concern is with the detail in the jar on the far right - I'm concerned the ridges might cover up some of the detail on the face inside

icedeyes
07-21-2007, 02:34 PM
I am really glad you like it Mark... About the jar, once i setup the scene in a way that i like, i will see if it works... If i doesn't, i will scrap it.. Fortunatelly things are always that simple... It either works or it doesn't... we'll see...

The thing i want about this piece, is not to show how good i can model or texture or anything (there are far better artists than me in all of these individual departments and i kindy bow in their presence), it just about making an image that will look interesting and cause certain feelings... So, i don't really care if all of the details of every model show up in the render as long as they have the desired impact... I really hope i succeed...

Thanks again, any further c&c is more than welcome,
Have fun,
George

Ps. hope you had fun at in your trip...

Razorx3d
07-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Fantastic work man i am gladd to see fellow greeks to be so talented, I just started to be involved in cg ,really hard e? keep it up, looks great if u manage to put it together, it could be a winner.

Greetings from crete...

ps hope u are well now (about your wrist), looking forward to see the complete picture.

walrus
07-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Nice work so far, George. No real crits so far, it's all looking nice. Good decorative elements in everything, especially the bookcase. I agree with Mark about the overly-ridged jars, but you seem to have that covered. Hard to picture squeezing a face through the smaller opening of the far left jar, too. Will there be liquid in the jars, or just masks floating in there? Or sitting at the bottom? Looking forward to seeing more...! :)

icedeyes
07-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Hey Michael, the idea is to have the jars contain some sort of liquid that keeps the faces in shape (i was thinking something of a stereotype green gooye stuff)...

The main idea is that the faces are fleshy in feel and abilities but can also become rigid when she wears them (thus keeping the expression and rigidness that you would find in a mask)... So, any of the faces could fit (bent or squashed in that is) in any of the vases...

I really hope you can understand my idea because sometimes i am not always good at conveing what i am thinking...

I was also contemplationg on the idea of hanging some of the faces on the wall but i am not sure that this would work...

Could use everyones opinion on this one... I am still caught up with some work, but i will see if i can pull some of the elements in a scene for an initial setup...

Have fun,
George

walrus
07-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Hard to say how they'd look on the wall without seeing them and your final (or closer to final) layout and cemra angle. But it certainly isn't much extra work to give it a shot. Finish modeling your troom, get your camera and figure closer to where you want them and copy some instances of the model to the wall and we can all see how it looks. Heck, it may look better than the jars because we'll be able to see them all more clearly - and it could be creepy to have a whole bunch of faces, all with different expressions, hanging on the wall like decorative masks. No reason you have to stick to the exact text of the song! :)

Ferx
07-27-2007, 09:45 AM
I really liked the jars, great work !! :thumbsup: all the idea is great!. Good Luck and looking forward for the progress of your concept ( and i take care of your wrist :) )

icedeyes
07-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Michael: Will do... thanks a lot for the advice... I am leaning more towards the faces hanging from the wall idea than any other at the moment but i will try both... if i go with that i will use the bookcase to put the elements she will use to make the masks (fluids, colors and maybe patches of skin)...

Fernando: Glad you like it man... thanks for stopping by...

And the update of the week...

The reason i have not been updating anything for a week or so is that i have a very demanding client that needs a project finished by Sunday... I have been getting very little sleep and i am almost done with it, so i will start working on the challenge again, starting Monday....

On the 1st of August i leave my current job... But that is a good thing... On September, I will be in Canada, attending Lost Boys Learning and i trully needed a break from work before that... I am skipping town (lol) for my summer vacation on the 1st of August too but i will (probably) have my laptop with me and update as soon as i have something to show.. Updates might not be consistent but they will exist... And I will surelly finish this challenge...

Thank you very much for reading all of the previous stuff and for supporting my entry so far by offering your valuable advice... Just wanted to state i am still alive and kicking (trying to, that is:scream:)....

Have fun,
George

Ramitxon
07-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Wow, George, How coud I have missed your thread?. Brilliant work and fantastic idea, the props are pretty good modeled and the faces are disturbing, I cannot wait to see the composition of the image, I'll keep my eyes nailed to your thread. :thumbsup:

icedeyes
07-29-2007, 10:13 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1185743591_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1185743591_large.jpg)

First of all, thank you very much for stopping by and commenting Ramón.. I am really glad you like it...

Now some progress... I just finished the project that took all week long and since i had a couple of hours to spend, i made another face because i am too indecisive about the environment and placement of props to be able to make any notable progress on that in the time i had but i promise i will get on it very soon..

I think i like this face with all it imperfections (these will be reflected in the textures as well) but i need your opinions too... Please tell me if anything is off and if something can be corrected...

Thank you very much in advance,
Have fun,
George

polygonwarrior
07-30-2007, 04:56 AM
:thumbsup:Keep it up buddy.wud come bac for next update.

mdavid
07-30-2007, 08:14 AM
It looks excellent George. There's a lot of personality in it. I remember being thoroughly impressed when you textured the last face so I'm really looking forward to what you manage this time.

icedeyes
07-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Rishikesh: I am really glad you like it.. thanks for your support...

Mark: I will try my best to impress you once again then:scream:... I try and start every face from scratch to make them feel different... same goes for textures... thanks for stopping by

any further comments and critique are more than welcome...

have fun,
George

W-I-L
07-30-2007, 10:28 AM
looks good mate.. o and i remeber samuria pizza cats!

icedeyes
07-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks a lot Will... Glad you liked it so far

PS. Also, glad i was not the only fan...

AxelAlonso
08-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Hi George,
So far I love the face very Greek looking style; it has great geomtry balance, all the harmonics , look great for good expressions, well thought. I hope to see more updates, and some idea of your hole environment so We can help in any way to give an opinion from the audience, sometime the artist has, to many inner judges when the work was just great from the beginning..:):thumbsup:

Ferx
08-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Hey George, great face model, I like the classic style, and have a expresive eyes :thumbsup:
I think the nose is a bit wide on the lateral sides (from base to eyebrows) but the form is great.
Nice work man! :D

icedeyes
08-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Hey guys...

Sorry i haven't been around for a a week or so but i was on vacation in Samos and i had very little time to sit down in front of a pc and also didn't have an internet connection available... Having said that, i managed to complete the texture for the face as well as start the body of the woman...

I will post images soon enough because i had to take my laptop in for repair (fan failed and screen had discolorations in parts) and i will have to go to a friend to render them for you to see (probably tommorrow)...

I will be leaving again for the island of Milos in a couple of days and since i wont have the laptop with me, i wont be able to work on this until i return on the 20th of August...

Axel: Thanks a million for your support man... I am glad you like it and will be waiting for your critique once i post the next update.. The set pieces will be places once all of them are complete or nealy complete (still thinking about changing somethings like simplifying the chair etc)...

Fernando: Thank you very much for the critique... changes are included in the update... Check back when i post it so that you can critique some more...

Thanks once again to everyone that keeps me motivated,
Have fun,
George

icedeyes
08-21-2007, 12:45 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1187696712_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1187696712_large.jpg)

back from my holiday and refreshed... this is the final textured 3rd face... i really hope you like it so far...

C&C is more than welcome...

icedeyes
08-21-2007, 12:49 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1187696950_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1187696950_large.jpg)

I really hope you like the body so far... i am pretty satisfied with how its evolving right now but it needs a lot of work yet.. the reference is a young woman but i will try to age her after i have finished modeling the whole of the body...

C&C once again is more than welcome...

Have fun guys and gals,
George

icedeyes
08-23-2007, 01:32 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1187872333_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1187872333_large.jpg)

the body so far... had a copy of maya running on vpn from fxphd (amazing site by the way and the maya, nuke, pftrack, imagineer and background courses i have selected are amazing) and thought i could use it for this challenge... so i imported the previous mesh in maya... cleaned the topology up a bit and turned it into subds...

hope you like how its turning out...

any c&c is more than welcome...

PS. progress might be a little slow because i am leaving for Canada next Saturday and i am still preparing stuff...

icedeyes
08-23-2007, 09:51 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1187902271_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1187902271_large.jpg)

I always had a difficulty modelling nice hands... i think i kind of got it this time around... hope you like it...

c&c welcome...
have fun,
George

Ferx
08-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Hey George, really nice models, i really liked your hand model :thumbsup: I think the breasts of your woman model are a bit up, but i like the all body form, very natural. Nice work mate!! :D

MrFreeman
08-23-2007, 10:32 PM
:thumbsup: Great work George and sorry I've not had a chance to leave a comment until now.

Some great 3D elements (and I know how long it takes to get this sort of thing right) - The textures look great - especially the old woman

Can't wait to see how this all comes together, so no real crits at the moment and looking forward to developments

Dave :applause:

icedeyes
08-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Fernando: Yep... her boobs are a little high but i am using a reference that looks like that (remember that the T pose flexes the muscles upwards as well as the tits)... I will certainly lower them thought when i turn this body into an old woman's body (same will happen to certain other body parts like the belly and butt)... Thanks for the crit, will definatelly fix this...:thumbsup:

Dave: Glad you stopped by man and glad you liked it...

Now i am off to buy my smashing pumpkins tickets.......:scream: Will post again tonight or tommorrow...

Any further c&c is more than wlecome

mdavid
08-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Hey George, welcome back buddy! It's delightful to see your rush of new updates.

Your 3D work is as fantastic as ever. I guess one thing that caught my eye was the knuckles on the hand - those knuckles seem a little bit too much raised and too much extended forward towards the fingers. The woman's knees also seem somehow too low but then it's pretty hard to be sure about that because the legs aren't fully formed yet and that makes it hard to judge proportion. When I watch you work I'm pretty sure you're aware of all of this stuff because you sure look like you know what you're doing.

Great work!

AxelAlonso
08-25-2007, 11:12 PM
George! :thumbsup: Oh my so much to see! Well I like her body! And the face! Has so much personality, the mood its achieving a very deep though from details on your imagination, I like all the designs, they all give past and have a history of their own in the way you design them, as an old Witch , well that’s what I think of them when I see them!

Hope you are felling more relaxed and that the summer will bring you more days to enjoy! Take Care!:)

icedeyes
08-27-2007, 11:34 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1188210854_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1188210854_large.jpg)

First of all...

Mark: Thanks for stopping by buddy... Fixed the knuckles and pushed the knees a little higher (i am not sure that either is clearly visible)... The knees are now a little higher than on the reference photo i used but that might be a lens distortion or something... I think they look good now, what about you?

Axel: Thanks for your comments my friend... I hope i can get more out of this than the impression of a witch though... I really want to depict the hollowness some people have and the "faces" the have to wear to make others believe they are ordinary...

Now on with the update... Still a long way to go but I think the body is complete now though i want your opinions too on this... Anything you wish to see changed? Something that just doesn't feel right maybe?

The half of the body is one piece and the hand is the other...

Subds in Maya are very strange when it comes to stitching geometries... In XSI i just snapped vertices together, attached, set the threshold and it worked... Right now, when i do this in Maya, it messes up my geometry but i will find a way to fix it...

will update soon...

have fun,
George

mdavid
08-29-2007, 01:33 AM
It looks excellent. And a bit spooky too, with the face missing like that.

I sure hope I didn't mess you around much with my suggestion for the knees because now you have completed the legs I'm wondering if I gave you some bad advice. I'm concerned that maybe you were more correct with your positioning of the knees the first time.

I feel like a bit of a goose here. I'm very sorry about this

OKMER
08-29-2007, 02:09 AM
Hey George!Your thread is going too fast..didn't had the time to reply there!Love the face of post 46!!!THe idea really rock's and cant wait to see how youll put this all together.
Indeed,thers some kind a nice creepy feeling in the idea.Love it!!!
The window and the closet,could even fit more together if maybe you put some decoration element a bit "art nouveau" on the window as you did on the closet rack's.
Keep up the great work!!!Cheers!!!

Ferx
08-29-2007, 02:37 AM
Hey George, nice work!! I think that its a great model!!:thumbsup: ( i like the "dorsal" zone, great and nice detail on model!) and from the image the proportions looks well for me. (ok, i ever think in Naomi Campbell leg's :twisted: but the legs of your model are more reals:D ( but when you rigged the model is when you can really can check the proportions:) ) Great work my friend!! :beer:

icedeyes
08-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Hey guys... thanks a million for your comments...

Mark: Thanks for the suggestion Mark... I will push them down a bit (dont image that i strayed too much from the original reference) but it probably wont show either way since most of her body will be covered with the wedding dress...

Remko: Nothing is final yet my friend... When i finish the props and all and put them together, i will certainly be making changes to make them look like they fit together... Thank you very much for your advice...

Fernando: I am really glad you like it so far... Now, texturing her will certainly be a bitch... I am quite slow in texturing and shading and find the task to be one of the most tedious in 3d but i think i will manage... I really have to buy zbrush to make my life a little easier... gotta love that workflow...

About the wedding dress now, i need some suggestions... Wedding dresses were not the same (an are not still) around the world so, while i sought out for wedding dresses, i came accross one that stuck me as a very good piece of the puzzle for the image... The problem is that its not easilly identified as a wedding dress and that might ruin what i am trying to achieve at the moment... So, i want your opinions on this one...

the black (England mid - 30s i think) or the classic long white dresses?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/icedeyes/robey_weddingdress_m.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/icedeyes/bride5.jpg

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
George

musi
09-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Hey George,

That's wonderful modeling! You did such a good job on this woman! :thumbsup:
Hand is looking very good, may be just relax it a bit - there is a lot of tension in it, like if she really trying to stretch her fingers. But again, if this tension is going to be Incorporated into the pose - never mind my comment :D.
Textures on the face looking good too. Are you going to work some more on shaders, because it's missing some SSS. But on the other hand, if it's a mask it may not need SSS at all!

About the dress. I like very much the black dress, but as you say, it may not read as a wedding dress. What about using the shape of the white one (looks very wedding and recognizable), but make it black?

icedeyes
09-07-2007, 03:26 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1189131964_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1189131964_large.jpg)

Sorry i havent been around but i am in Canada now and still trying to adjust and settle...

I had a little time to work on this so here are two small updates.. the geometry of the body changed a little... and i also made a texture for it.. will add sss soon but for the sake of speed, not just yet...

I hope you like it so far...

icedeyes
09-07-2007, 03:27 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1189132057_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1189132057_large.jpg)

this is just a start for the dress... any c&c is more than welcome for both...

musi
09-07-2007, 10:17 AM
I was thinking... :wise: (some times I do that kind of crazy activity)
May be it would save you some time if you would pose her, set the composition and camera angle, and then model the dress around her. This way you wouldn't have to worry about it's backside, and wouldn't have to pose it too. So you would have only one object to pose instead of to - the woman.
After all, it's a illustration, and any kind of cheating goes as soon as it looks good and convincing :D
It's just a suggestion... Everybody have their own workflow and different ways of doing the same thing :)

Good start on the dress!

icedeyes
09-07-2007, 03:57 PM
thank you very much for you comment Sasha and also thanks for stopping by... I probably will do just that and unlike you i rarelly even use my mind :scream:... you have a very valid suggestion... i will probably pose her along with the base mesh for the dress and then have fun with that... i also just finished the chair (will post soon)... dogs weren't working for me so i switched them for a more clasic design on the whole thing...

Any further c&c is more than welcome...

have fun,
George

AxelAlonso
09-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi George, I like the primary shape of the dress;:) I still can’t tell very well how much will benefit your character, but I still wonder why you choose the puff layer shape of the skirt? :shrug:Is it to show she’s is a woman with a different perspective of her body; it is that what you want to achieve? Any how, I am sure that it will look great and I guess the dogs were changed for something more fitted, hope to see your update soon.

Ferx
09-09-2007, 02:38 AM
Hey George, great updates mate! I like the whole proportions of the woman and the first texture, you are in the right way :thumbsup: And i like your first test of this large dress . I think Sasha suggestion is nice and perhaps a wind motion Fx over the dress can put a fluid shape in it, now looks a bit heavy ( In your sketch the woman is looking at window, maybe the window is open and the door too, creating a wind stream :D )... dont know, only thinking aloud :D
Again great work mate !! :Beer:

Jeffparadox
09-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Nice model so far dude. It's good the see progress, keep it up!

mdavid
09-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Excellent dress. I'm glad you've gone for that kind of look. Nicely ornate and interesting, to match the rest of your scene. I admire the way you've made each element just a little bit creepy as well as beautiful. Keep powering on buddy. It's looking great

icedeyes
09-09-2007, 10:04 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1189371894_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1189371894_large.jpg)

First of all, thank you all for dropping by...

Axel: I am not sure why i wnet with the puffy one and not sure if i am going to keep it... once she is in the scene, it will all fall into place and i will see what i will keep and what i will change then..

Fernando: Yeah... Sasha is right about the whole dress issue but i need to see how some things work together in the scene in order to do that... I might use the wind too... thanks for the suggestions..

Jeff: Thanks man... glad you like it...

Mark: I am still not sure about the dress to tell you the truth... I will try it and see how it works.. if it doesn't, i'll just scrap it.. glad you like it the whole feel of props.. i really tried hard to make them kind of match in style...

Now some progress... because the lady in the previous posts is giving maya a VERY hard time (weights freeze without me actually doing it, stuff deform without using anything etc.) I took a break and modelled the rest of the chair... hope you like it..

As always, c&c is more than welcome..

Have fun,
George

Jeffparadox
09-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Hey man I love this chair! It's very antique and futuristic looking at the same time. Don't know, almost has a Dune-ish quality to it but different. No critique from me. Great job!

icedeyes
09-10-2007, 02:28 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1189387732_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12799/12799_1189387732_large.jpg)

Thanks Jeff... I am really glad you like it....

small update.. changed the proportions of the chair to fit the woman's... also made a brand new skirt for the lady and started posing her... just test rendered something... thought it was cool so i am posting it up for comments...

Initially, i thought that she would look out the window but "looking" (without a face) towards the viewer would be more disturbing i think and i think it works... your opinions?

the hand in the back will just lay there while the one in the front will hold one of the faces...

Comments and critique more than welcome...

have fun,
George

Ferx
09-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Hey George, you are working fast man!! I like your chair design, superb mate! and the new fashion for the lady is great!! :thumbsup: I think that your idea of "out mask" can work well and for sure, like you say, disturbing. Perhaps in the "no face" you need a signs of a neutral expression with a bit outline of eyes and mouth... only thinking aloud :D Again great work my friend!!

musi
09-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey George,

Yes, very nice chair :thumbsup: It looks massive and heavy when she is sitting there, and I guess that's the feeling you are aiming for. I wonder, may be she is a bit small comparing to chair, just a little?

Pose is cool on it's own, but it's difficult to say if it works... It would be nice if you would put the environment in there (just place holders) and determine the approximate camera position, resolution, to see how she and her pose are related to the rest of environment, what lines they form, how do they lead the eye through the image.
And I like very much the idea of faceless her looking towards the camera!

Great work, my friend! :scream:

guero
09-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Hi George interesting concept let me drop my 2 cents.

Things to consider, passing time, her love, time period.

Passing time - think about this one because you are not going to be there to explain to every viewer the story behind your image has to be precise. Now this woman can change faces like masks, I assume that she is not 100% human, a cyborg or android, I would suggest to make her body normal human which would get old. This would help you to present the time, by having a picture of her and her loved one while they were young this would give you emotional hook while help out with a story. Imagine old wrinkly body with a young female face holding a picture of her and her loved one while caressing it. Now her mask of a young self should also be falling apart to show passage of time. Also include other masks stashed in some chest or handing on the wall behind her that would give a nice opportunity to have a eerie feeling.

Her Love - the picture will do the trick

Time Period - now think about it, you have some nice antique chair while she is a cyborg. This gives you nice field of ideas to play with good luck with that :)

Woman - who is she, is she famous, singer, actress, somebody important. Actress would give you a good connection to why she has so many faces.

Woman Face - now her expression will make or break your idea, experiment with that. Now her face is inter-changeable can she express feelings and emotions?

Her body - Did she ever left that chair if not then hook her up to infibulator or some other life support, make her fingernails long as hell all curled up and nasty. Her fancy clothes would make a nice contrast to her withering body.

Gesture - again make sure the body speaks loud and clear that she is waiting for this guy for a long time, again good luck with that :)

I think this is it. i hope i was helpful, good luck.

AxelAlonso
09-11-2007, 01:11 AM
George hello!

Like the new Chair! the design goes well to all the other elemnts, as for the dress why not tring some Alexander McQueen designs he does some pretty neat dresses for ladys with a complicated life:) Hope it helps!

mdavid
09-11-2007, 04:02 AM
Fantastic! This is great seeing this new stage posted. I really like how this pose is starting to look.

I'm tending to agree with musi about the chair - I love the look of it but it does seem very heavy and over-engineered. I'd be tempted to make its structure slightly less bulky (slightly thinner posts) and therefore a bit more delicate-looking. As for the face looking towards the camera, yes that could work really well. I believe the story is very important to this strange-behavior scene but it could give the impression that, while contemplating her faces she was surprised by us (the viewer) and turned towards us, which could be an interesting and slightly creepy scene.

As always, this is just my 2c worth and you know your project and its goals better than all of us. So feel free to ignore these ideas mate. As always it's great to see this progress and I love what you're doing

Jeffparadox
09-11-2007, 04:30 AM
Hi George,

First gotta say that I'm sorry, I was replying to your thread without even knowing your concept. Man this is some eerie subject, and I think the lighting will play a major role in its success. I really like your very first doodle of this subject, that thumbnail should be your guide i believe, it has got it all: It has a very minimal feel with just the right amount of furniture to tell the subject. the basic placement of a single door, and a window with basic landscape is adding a Magritte-like quality to this collage; it looks like it belongs to nowhere. The heavy modeled weird chair would look very nicely contrasty next to simple shaped furniture in the room. And more importantly, I think your character's pose is perfect in that doodle: She is looking bottom-left with a sad posture, and holding the face at perfect proximity from her head - cause you don't know if she is about to try it on or if she was just taking it off...

During coloring and lighting, you could nail down the setting and play with placement of some of the masks if you like, as other people have mentioned. I also think mdavid's idea about the chair could look nice too, personally i like it as is though, it could look a little cartoony compared to what i get from your image i guess.. I think my main point is: there is a strong mood in that thumbnail sketch and you should work on that. Great concept! :beer:

digital-bobert
09-22-2007, 04:20 AM
whoa... looking interesting George!

Jeffparadox
10-06-2007, 02:47 AM
George, buddy, where are you? time is running out... :D

OKMER
10-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Agree the chair feels a bit too heavy, to me too.Your pic evolves greatly man!Some creepy feeling in it I really like!Keep m coming buddy!
CHeeers!!!:beer: :beer:

icedeyes
10-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Thank you extremelly much for your support...

You are all great and always try to help me out but right now i am seriously concentrating on my course(i am at lost boys learning right now) and creating material for my demoreel (on vfx)... i really try not to be distracted by anything... This is why i am stepping out of this challenge... I need to concentrate on what i am doing right now and i am going to be doing more of the vfx wars challenges now...

I will try and continue this piece outside the challenge (or maybe start this over fresh) when i have the time...

You have all been great but right now i need to concentrate on getting some other stuff done....

Once again, thank you all for your support...

Korendo
10-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Greetings George

Holy-smokes this image rocks! {8>)>

AxelAlonso
10-10-2007, 08:37 PM
George! best of luck in your demo reel! I know the presure it takes!:rolleyes: I am sure you will end up fantastic, as well once you finish this one as well! hope to see you soon! and go get them!:)

Thank you a lot for all the support ! you got talent ! and all the comments help me a lot Thanks again!:thumbsup:

Jeffparadox
10-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey George, it sucks to say goodbye. but you gotta do what you gotta do, so best of luck with your reel and your course dude. we'll meet again at another event :D

musi
10-11-2007, 08:45 AM
:cry:
Sad..........
Good luck with your reel and cource, and I hope to see this image finished sometimes :)
I am sure you will be succesful in what you are doing!
See you the next time, my friend! :wavey:

Ferx
10-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Hey George , best of luck on your course and projects !! Your are a great guy and really talent artist:arteest: . See you soon my friend !! Cheers!! :beer:

icedeyes
10-11-2007, 05:02 PM
you guys and gals are amazing... thank you for boosting my self-esteem... Sorry for not posting any comments on your thread for a while... I am just wayyyyyy too busy right now but i will try and get some constructive comments in there during the weekend...

Once again, i have to say you are all great... Thanks for everything...:thumbsup:

Korendo
10-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Do look forward to seeing it come together later on. Best on luck on your demo reel!

Kei-Acedera
10-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Oh no, so sad to hear that George! But I respect that, you gotta do what you gotta do..there'll be plenty more cg challenges in the future! Best of Luck and looking forward to seeing your demo reel!!

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2007, 10:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.