PDA

View Full Version : command prompt render. need help!

ragdoll
06-26-2007, 02:51 AM
why is it that when i render a scene from cmd prompt it doesn't work and tells me

'render' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

am i missing a special setting or something?

im using maya 7 on windows xp.

trancor
06-26-2007, 02:58 AM
you use still have a previous install of maya on your computer? Or maybe the install messed up at some point when installing 7?

the render command in dos calls up render.exe in the bin folder in the maya root in your program files, if you go to the bin folder and type in "render.exe c:/your/file/here.mb" should work. Annoying, but it works. You can manually install exes to run as commands in dos, but like hell if I remember, last time I really used dos was like 15 years ago. Google can help though.

ragdoll
06-26-2007, 03:15 AM
i tried what you told me and i found Render.exe

i saved a test.mb in the c: drive and went to the bin folder and typed in

Render.exe c:\test.mb

it still didn't work and said

Cannot locate executable Render.exe, please run using the full path
Cannot open renderer description file "defaultRenderer.xml"

???

ragdoll
06-26-2007, 04:54 AM
works fine now... think i know where i went wrong...

i think when i first installed it, the part where it prompts you if you want to include a short cut on desktop, a short cut on taskbar and include it in the cmd prompt or something ... i believe i unchecked that which is probably why it didn't work...

anyway just posting this for future reference incase anyone else experiences the same problem...

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2007, 04:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.