PDA

View Full Version : Help faking Gi.

Mazer
03-20-2003, 09:59 PM
I'm trying to get a decent interior Gi look, but I keep missing something... Any tips?
here are the pics
http://www.geocities.com/cordeiro3d/wip/
I also have problems geting the wood to look like wood..
:edit: I'm using Maya default renderer

X-Tender
03-20-2003, 10:13 PM
did you use mental ray or the maya intern render??

Mazer
03-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Its the Maya normal renderer, not Mental ray, i'm trying to acomplish a gi look the traditional way, I'm commited to learn the default Maya renderer first.

X-Tender
03-20-2003, 11:07 PM
hmm, sorry, i have no experience with the maya render ;)

stunndman
03-20-2003, 11:57 PM
your images look pretty decent already - i think what is missing is the proximity shading GI gives you - the shading basically is kind of flat

is there any artificial light in the room or is it only lit by the sun (as seen on the bed)? - if the sun is the only light source then the cabinet is receiving some strange light and is too bright - and why are the bedside lamps casting hard shadows if there is no direct light hitting them ?

Jozvex
03-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Well, the wall that has the windows would probably be a fair bit darker than the back wall because it would only be recieving secondary bounced light. Not direct light from it's own window.

And just make sure you have bounce lights for most of the surfaces. Coloured ones for the coloured objects.

Chappo
03-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by X-Tender
hmm, sorry, i have no experience with the maya render ;)

Do you know how to fake realistic GI in Mental Ray then ? :)
if so.....please share your wisdom ?? ;)

X-Tender
03-21-2003, 01:40 PM
with mentalray you dont have to "Fake" GI .. just turn it on ;) ...

Mazer
03-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Lol, the fact is that I whant to learn lighting, I dont have a renderfarm, and I whant to make animations soon, so this is kind off an exercise for me:)

Thanks for the tips folks, it's amazimg how I couln't notice obvious things like the sharp shadows:shrug: I gess if you spend too mutch time looking at a pic you loose the details..

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.