PDA

View Full Version : Orient Joint problem

dcarmor
06-25-2007, 08:20 PM
I have had no formal training and am teaching myself, and I think I'm about to pay for it.

I have a bound character and I just finished all of the weighting. When I began adding IK handles and stuff his legs freaked out and bent the wrong direction at the knee--forward intead of backwards.

The Local Axis points Y to positive Z, X down, and Z in the negative X. The Y should be pointing towards the back of the knee, not the front right?

If I move the IK pole vector to the front, it twists his entire leg 180 degrees. Is there any easy way of fixing this without having to rebind and weight the entire skin?

looks kinda funny though. Like some insect-like ninja alien. here's a pic.
http://www.djcrawford.us/WebsiteImages/DUMB.jpg

SkullboX
06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Before assigning the IK handles, rotate both knees in their preferred orientation, then go to the skeleton menu and hit 'set preferred angle'. After doing this, put the bones back in their original position and reassign the IK.

dcarmor
06-25-2007, 08:33 PM
well that was a lot easier than expected. Thanks! But will the unorthodox-oriented joints be a problem at all?

SkullboX
06-26-2007, 12:18 AM
Assuming you created your leg bones straight down, there's nothing unorthodox about that method.

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2007, 12:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.