PDA

View Full Version : 2D Cutout animation. AE, Combustion, Flash???

murmurr
06-25-2007, 08:14 PM
I was wondering peoples opinions on the best way to go about a simple 2d animation that is similar to the cutouts of southpark. I some experience in after effects and combustion but none in flash. What would you guys suggest? .....And would anyone suggest 3D software?

oh, and one problem I can see in after effects is that I can't get my audio to play back to time my lip synching.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

GoldenCamel
06-26-2007, 06:41 AM
you can do it in all of those softwares, i would have gone with Maya simply becasue im familiar with the software, but it also can done easily in flash, adobe primier could do the job, it has audio sync too.

flash is very easy to learn, if i were you, i'd teach myself how to use it and then made the animation, very good way to learn.

good luck

murmurr
06-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah, that's a good idea. I wanted to learn flash anyway. I'm just totally out of the loop and don't know what it's limitations are. I'm still not sure whether I'm going to do the characters as cutout renders from zbrush or as vector drawings.

Though I didn't really think about doing it in max. That's possible too.

Thanks!

sdyer23
07-02-2007, 04:13 AM
murmurr,

The nice thing about Flash and cut out animation is that you can store each pose you need for a particular character as a symbol and just re-use them as you need them. I'm not sure how much you use Flash, but when you make a character, you can break them down into the different animat-able parts of that character (eyes, hands, feet, etc.) And store each part as a symbol, then just animate the symbols moving and such with your characters.

If you go this route, it shouldn't take too long to set up and like I said, the symbols can be re-used for a character as well.

Some characters also use what's known as the "comp System" which is a method where you store all the actions of a pose (such as mouth shapes) in one timeline of one symbol. When you animate, you just adjust the timeline of that symbol you are using to the right pose and voila! You can animate too.

I suppose the 3D method of making cut-out animation is acceptable too, but if you want to go for a true Southpark feel, then I'd stick to Flash or AE.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

-Tux

murmurr
07-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Tuxedo,

Thanks for the help. Sounds like you can do some really great stuff. I'm actually a Flash newbie and am planning on learning the program in the next month or so when time permits.

Thanks again

djorzgul
07-22-2007, 04:36 PM
I remember reading an article about using poweranimator/maya for southpark.
Also I tried using maya for one ''cutout like'' project and it was super cool to work that way.
Benefits are enormous since approach is much more flexible and in the same time closer to ''real'' cutout experience.
As far as I am concerned it is uncomperable with flash, after etc...
Winning combo would be both 3d approch mixed with aftereffects for example...

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2007, 04:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.