PDA

View Full Version : Why does this scene render like this?!!!

stylEmon
06-25-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I am having the worst time rendering this scene.
It's a large scene, with lots of geometry. I've tried doing close up shots, and arial shots. All have this problem...

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/gallery/data//2/thumbs/mestRender.jpg

Sorry for so small picture, I only have a few options for hosting images here at work. :shrug:

I am using MR with FG.
Max Anti-alias quality set to 2
FG accuracy set to 1000
Point Density 1
Interpolation 10
Secondary Bounce on.
I tried messing with the min/max radius, but never got any better results.

One Point light
Emitting Photons
Photon Intensity set to 10,000
Exponent 3

same settings for spot light

Thanks for any help.

scrimski
06-25-2007, 07:03 PM
That IS small. Why don't you attach it in your post or upload and link it at some imagehost like imageshack.us or similiar?

stylEmon
06-25-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't think I can attach a file to a post.
And like i said, I don't have many options when it comes to hosting.

Basically, there are TONS of white blurs or dots all over the render. I put a sphere around my scene (worked previously) but its doesnt seem to help now.

Maya keeps crashing with fatal memory errors and runtime errors...

There are some empty UV sets from the cars i imported into the scene. I tried rendering with the cars layer on or off, all the same...

scrimski
06-25-2007, 07:28 PM
I don't think I can attach a file to a post.
You mean like that (http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Help:Forums/FAQ#Attachments_-_How_to_Use_Them)?
Or like in the (I don't think this is an) attachment?

stylEmon
06-25-2007, 07:46 PM
I dont see any paperclip icon when i reply...
I have over 30 post so...?

I downloaded Jovex's scene from Taking it slow with GI, Caustics, Final Gather (beginners)
and used some of those FG settings to see what my probelm may be.

The point density stting seems to be helping, but there is still a lot of [snow] all over the scene.

stylEmon
06-25-2007, 11:18 PM
been twekaing all day. the render still sucks.

It takes FOREVER to render just a little tiny section of the frame.

I suppose MR isn't good for large scenes.

Disabled FG, renders without all the [snow]. It looks alright, just a little too fake. I suppose I can run an ambient occ pass once I finilize the camera.

tfritzsche
06-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Hi stylEmon
What version of maya are you using, I believe the jovex tutorial was written some time ago, and may be not so up-to-date on the new MR. For maya 8.5 1000 FG rays seems very excessive, try 200 rays set min & max radius to 25 (for both) turn on radius in pixels. If you are using GI, secondary bounces from FG are disabled, if you are not using GI, photons do not matter.
To upload a file ( which will help) in the reply to treads page, below the reply box is an "Additional Optons" section second from top is attach files and hit the "manage attachments" button and go from there.

thomas

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2007, 01:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.