PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Tiziano Baracchi

Thaldir
06-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Tiziano Baracchi is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/view_entries.php?challenger=12672)

Latest Update: Final Image: Ambush!
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1190721287_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4671201#post4671201)

Thaldir
06-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Hallo, everybody!

Very different challenge from the last time, eh? Can't wait to see what everybody comes up with...

Best of luck, and...let the fun begin!

OKMER
06-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi Tiziano!!!Yessss, you're in!I hoped to see your thread and so well I'm the firts to wish you luck and all the fun man!!!haha!
:beer:
May ze forzzz be wizzz you!:thumbsup:

Thaldir
06-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Yay! Welcome to my first visitor!:) :thumbsup:

May I offer you something? A cup of tea? Pass the butter, please (does his best Mad Hatter plus Cheshire Cat impersonation) ;)

...Think this challenge is going to bring out my craziest side...

And it will be a whole lot of fun in good company. :)

Ivy00
06-25-2007, 07:13 PM
ahh ha ha I get to be the sloppy second visitor , Good luck Tiziano :)

Thaldir
06-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Thank you, lady! (sketches a court bow).

You, sloppy? Never!

Terro
06-25-2007, 07:23 PM
T-money, looks like were back at it again buddy. Best of luck with your entry. I be visiting this thread very often :)

Thaldir
06-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Hey, Greg! Great to see you, pal!

I've a definite idea in mind... hope you'll like it.

TheFirstAngel
06-25-2007, 10:44 PM
great to meet you here too old friend! best of luck and have fun! :beer::buttrock::wip:

mdavid
06-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Hey Tiziano, it's great to see you in this one! I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your illustration magic

CGriffin
06-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Hey, Tiziano! Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm REALLY anxious to see what cool, fantastic stuff you cook up! You keep me on my toes, my friend! :twisted:

Thaldir
06-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Sacha, Mark, Cris... thank you my friends, you're way to kind. :)

I'm gonna bet on the 'fun' part though, let's make pixels dance!

Thaldir
06-27-2007, 09:46 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1182980764_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1182980764_large.jpg)

Did you really believe all those Victorian stories about sweet fairies dancing under the moonlight?

Then you're in for a surprise, bro!

Actually I've had this idea going round in my brain since the height of the 'fairy-craze' but never put it on paper.
Here we'll have a moth-fairy commando in a punitive expedition against a group of 'classical' Victorian fairies.
This is a first visualization sketch of a commando with uniform and equipment.

OKMER
06-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Haha, Thaldir is possesed by fairies!!haha,LOLLL, no seriously now..That should be really fun and the sketch already look's great.Even more if we know how you'll work this out!Very exiting man!
Although personaly i think the strange factor is a tiny little bit weak in the idea.MAybe giving her a kind macho/troll behavior(which is quit rare for the O so poetic world of fairies),with some other degusted fairies watching her while she's shaving her legs, could be cool,lol..Just thinking out loud ofcourse...
Anyway, i'll surely be hanging around here watching the show!Good luck mate!

(hey...Am i the first again to reply?haha

Thaldir
06-27-2007, 10:04 PM
hey...Am i the first again to reply?haha

LOL, you are.

Wait, wait man, this is just the beginning,:) do you really think a fairy aerial raid with bilberry bombs isn't strange enough? And you haven't seen the Victorian ones, yet... ;) (update tomorrow, I think)

Ivy00
06-27-2007, 10:17 PM
ha ha maybe I am sloppy second again, not sure darn dial up takes so long to load images. ha ha scary fairy girl you have there. In the older stories about fairies they were quite evil beings, kidnapped children etc. You can find stories about them on sacredtext.com some really cool stuff there. I don't think there are any commando fairies though.

OKMER
06-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Wait, wait man, this is just the beginning,:) do you really think a fairy aerial raid with bilberry bombs isn't strange enough? And you haven't seen the Victorian ones, yet... ;) (update tomorrow, I think)

HA,ha I know Thaldir.Your idea just made me dream up loud.:D
Indeed,now you're talking about fairie bilberry bombing squads, that is strange!!.Looking forward for the victorian ones!Later ;-)

theuni
06-28-2007, 09:13 AM
nice idea... but what about "the big ones" :) hazelnut bombs ;)

Logick
06-28-2007, 11:05 AM
sketch and idea are great :)

mdavid
06-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Excellent concept sketch. Maybe some sort of fairy's version of the gun that Arnie Schwartzenegger had in The Terminator - with barrels made of grass stems or something - although the way you've started loading her up with ammo you're already getting the idea across just fine

Thaldir
06-28-2007, 11:33 AM
@ Linda: thank you for the site suggestion, and just for coming here, ouch! When I think of being on dial-up it still hurts...

Yesterday I googled for 'fairy commando' images...no results. It's almost scary ;)

@ OKMER: hope you'll like the developments, pal, feel always free to voice your thoughts, comments are a great help.

@ theuni: good idea! I hadn't thought of that, thanks!

@ Logick: thank you, I hope you'll like the next steps too.

@ mdavid: thanks for the compliment, Mark :) happy you like.
Great idea about the gun, I'm off to look at plant reference!

imagineCG
06-28-2007, 11:48 AM
yesss an other italian member!!

good luck!

Thaldir
06-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Ciao!

Yes, there are a few of us around. :)

Thank you and 'in bocca al lupo!':thumbsup:

RicoD
06-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Drat, I'm like what? The 999th one to reply here? Well, better late then never: Good luck with the challenge!

Actually, I just found the whole challenge today. I saw some of the entries and a couple of the ideas caught my eye. I should have figured this fairy was yours! :)

I like the idea a lot and love the whole forest-army mix! Although cute 'n cuddly in essence, your commando looks tough enough to do some serious bug-butt busting!

Thaldir
06-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey, Rico!

Great to see you here! :thumbsup: :) I'm happy you like my though lady.

And what about your thread? Don't tell me you aren't in...

CyborgJA
06-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Ahahhaah I love this concept!

I'll check the updates !

Thaldir
06-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Update coming in a short while, working on it right now!:)

Terro
06-28-2007, 08:37 PM
T-Money, you have a great imagination. Commando Faries, haha this will be great to follow. I really like that fact that shes got a seriousnes to her as oppsed to the rest of us going with a tooning approach. Keep at it T.

Thaldir
06-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks, Terro! :)

Yes, I have definitely a realistic approach. I think it can work here, contrasting with a totally un-realistic subject, and I count on you folks to keep me on track... deal? :)

Thaldir
06-28-2007, 09:33 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1183066405_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1183066405_large.jpg)

And here come a couple of 'classic' faeries...

Nekomouse
06-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Thaldir! Yay, it's good to see you back!
I :love:your idea! It's going to come out great as usual.
Good luck!

Thaldir
06-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Thank you, Bronwen! :love:
You are extremely kind, as usual :) .

Ivy00
06-28-2007, 10:46 PM
ha ha yeah this whole dial up thing stinks, nothing else available though where I live. Love the classics you sketched :) Can't wait to see where this ends up

Thaldir
06-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Thank you, Ivy! :love:

It will be a little while before the next update, though.

Just before the Challenge was announced I had started the matte project you have seen. I'll take a few days off the challenge to finish it and possibly do something that I'll feel reasonably confortable submitting for Matte Painting 2

notpill
06-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi tiziano! glad to see you in the challenge again. Keep up and good good luck!

:thumbsup:

Thaldir
06-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Great to see *you* in as well, Giuliano! Looking forward to your entry. :)

nwiz25
06-30-2007, 01:41 AM
HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BRO! :bounce::bounce:great to c u once again!:scream::love: its been so long man :cry: me back as ever! :D lovin ur latest update already! :eek: coolio!

wishing u the very best of luck bro! god bless ya!

Slav
06-30-2007, 05:00 AM
cool stuff, best of luck here! just druppin in.

Thaldir
06-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Nevs...?!:eek: :scream: :thumbsup: :love:

We've been missing you, bro! We were worried about you!
Happy, happy, happy!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Nevs is back!!

Thank you, Slav :) best of luck to you too!

musi
07-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I can see you have a pretty busy thread here, Tiziano, lot's of hot tee and sweet cakes :scream:

This time around I am going to watch you close, my friend, every step of yours (he-he :twisted:)
And it's a beautiful concept, can't wait for development!

Good luck, Tiziano! And you remember yourself to have fun - I can see you are doing it already!

BaronImpossible
07-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Love the expression of the girl on the left. Looking good, keep it up! :)

Thaldir
07-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Thank you Sasha and Baron! What a pleasant surprise!

Thanks for the encouraging words. :) I'll have another sketch of an 'army-fairy' for tonight (this piece is turning into a 'Where's Waldo' sort of thing...) ;)

Thaldir
07-06-2007, 12:50 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1183726207_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1183726207_large.jpg)

I wasn't able to finish this one yesterday evening, so she arrives today. Could not do without a sniper, could we?

Thanks to Mark David for making me think about guns. :)

CGriffin
07-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Eeee! You've started! I LOVE the sniper. Strange and wonderful. Sometimes thistle seed are just like little darts! I'd better get crackin' huh?

CyborgJA
07-07-2007, 09:26 AM
WOW I love these design...are..unusual !!

Thaldir
07-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey, Cris! Thanks for the appreciation :) . Yes, I'd say that, even though the challenge lasts till October, posting some sketches wouldn't be a bad move, comments from viewers are a great help in deciding which direction to take.

...And I'm really curious to see your ideas :) .

Ciao, Serena! Thank you, glad you like, 'unusual' is just what I'm aiming for.
This piece is going to be a compositional nightmare, but I'm already laughing out loud thinking at all the different possibilities. I want it to be something you can look at for a very long time...

...and it sort of answers your 'What are you gonna do next?' in the WIP thread ;).

walrus
07-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey, Thaldir, good to see you here again! Nice concepts so far - I see we're doing stuff in the vaguely same neighborhood, you with the Faeries and me with the Elves! :)

For this last image - the faerie with the rifle - what about turning her face a bit more up and to the right so that it's not so hidden and we can see more of her face and see that she's looking right more than down? You do pretty faces, it would be nice to see them well...!

Also, right now, her pose conveys "rifle" but the shape of the rifle gives the mistaken impression of "umbrella" more than "firearm." Mainly it's because of the curve of the handle - what if you curve it less? And what about maybe adding a few more "branches" coming off here and there - maybe even one right in front of her right hand that reads like a hand-guard?

anyhow, just some ideas... good luck with it!

Thaldir
07-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Hey, Walrus!

LOL! If your elves glance around searching for lost dice they might have a surprise. :D

Good points all. The 'gun' will definitely have some leaves.
Not quite sure about the sniper's face, though, it depends where she'll be in the final comp (working on that now) but don't worry...there'll be plenty of faces there :) (planning to have at least 10 faeries in it, the most I've ever done... I must be crazy).

mdavid
07-08-2007, 12:07 AM
That looks wonderful. Wow, all those years I've spent thinking fairies were such nice things - well now I know what they really get up to! I like the way you've used real plants to create your fairy weapons. There are definitely plants that fire seeds like the example you show and that is so much more clever than my grass stalks idea

CyborgJA
07-08-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm really really curious to see how you will place all the elements of this "nightmare".
In the meantime I'll enjoy with these sketches !

Demitsuri
07-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Battle faeries! :)

This is going to be something really outsdanding.

Goodluck.

musi
07-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Wow, she is fantastic! :thumbsup:

I was thinking... What about adding some more military accessories to her? Like small daggers made of spikes hanging on her belt, or a little knife made of sharp grass edge on her hip? Or a rope made of spider net?
I also imagined one faerie riding a dragonfly -air force, or may be a big beetle. Insects are generally looking like mechanical reinforced vehicles, may be those war faeries actually using them like that?

imagineCG
07-09-2007, 09:22 AM
very very nice work!!
I'm really impatient to see what your mind will do again!
really one of the best concept seen in this challange..
ciao

Thaldir
07-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Wow! Thank you to you all!

@ mdavid: it was you that set me thinking about grass guns, Mark! After a few sketches I started searching for 'ready-made weapons', that's all (and I find intriguing having 'real' details in a fantasy piece :) ).

@ CyborgJA: thanks, Serena! Now I've settled on a composition and gathered all the elements I need, drawing will begin in earnest tonight! :)

@ Demitsuri, thank you! Hope you'll like the final result. :)

@ musi, thanks! Great suggestions :) I'll definitely add to the commandoes equipment and you've given me interesting ideas. For this one I've really no way to add mechanical infantry or Air Force (and you'll see why soon), but I'll definitely love to use both ideas on some future piece :).

@ parol.a: grazie, Alessio! :) Hope you'll like the next steps too.
Love how your 'chubby child' is coming out, I cannot model to save my own life...

CyborgJA
07-10-2007, 11:19 AM
uhuhuhuhuhuuuu I'll check tomorrow !

Kei-Acedera
07-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Her gun is very creative! She is really interesting..

nwiz25
07-10-2007, 04:02 PM
hey Tiz ma bro! now thats what i call I . N . N . O . V . A . T. I . O . N . !
:P :scream::D very cool indeed! fairies meet the army now! :eek: hehehe :P great to c ur concept filled with creativity and zing! well .. to be very honest .. im a big zero wen it comes to weaponry and all .... but i really love the idea as to what u whipped up :P good on ya mate! looking forward to more :P

cheers to you bro! :beer:

god bless ya! :love:

Thaldir
07-10-2007, 09:18 PM
I keep being awed and stunned by your wonderful comments, my friends :blush:

Serena, just a bit longer, please: I'm working as fast as I can, I swear... but 12 faeries are a whole lot of wings to draw ;)

Kei, lady, I'm extremely flattered that you like her, hope you'll come again to check on the progress.

Neville, bro, you must be the most positive and sunny person I've ever met :love: :) thank you and God bless you and your family.

Thaldir
07-12-2007, 09:21 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1184275296_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1184275296_large.jpg)

At long last! Lineart is finished and here it comes...
I took the liberty of playing a bit with values, volumes and athmosphere in the 'lineart' step.

Thaldir
07-12-2007, 09:27 PM
And now the details:

Left

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o277/Thaldir/AmbushLineArtDet3.jpg

Center

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o277/Thaldir/AmbushLineArtDet2.jpg

And right

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o277/Thaldir/AmbushLineArtDet1.jpg

walrus
07-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Looks great, Thaldir! Your last Challenge entry had one very beautiful woman in it, I'm looking forward to seeing your treatment on so many faeries here. Nice subdued palette... Will you be punching up the values more and adding some sharper lighting from one side or another somehwere? Have fun...! :)

Thaldir
07-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Thank you, Mike!

Yes, this is just a first evaluation both for palette and lightning, there will be a cold light from the top right and a warm one from the bottom left as principal ones, then it's very likely that the 'classic faeries will have some auras of their own (like 'Nerdy' the one in the middle, I see her luminous aura flaring up in surprise...)

What have I gotten into? I must be crazy... ;)

mdavid
07-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Just amazing! This is so cool to see. This looks like being another one of your masterpieces!

Gord-MacDonald
07-13-2007, 02:20 AM
I like it - makes me think of the elves deep in the forest in the hobbit. Nice mood

Gord

paperclip
07-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Hey, I like your sketch! I can't really tell what's going on though, I think you need to push the story a bit more?

Intrigued, want to see more......

MartinNielsen
07-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Hey :)

Wonderful sketches you have here with great sense of anatomy :thumbsup: Rock on!

Ivy00
07-13-2007, 02:06 PM
beautiful sketches Thaldir it is coming together great, I think this is going to be one of the best paintings I have seen you do. I can't wait to see more progress so I can cheer you on :)

CyborgJA
07-13-2007, 02:22 PM
OHHH great to see the whole picture !
Can't wait to discover how you'll manage each subject !:thumbsup:

RicoD
07-14-2007, 09:01 AM
The line art looks great Tiziano! It's hard to pick a favourite, but I'm going with the rifle girl for now. ;) Though, following the lines, the front one seems to be the center piece. I'm wondering, what's the pink glowing one doing? Is she a fairy-secretary?

Maybe you can do something with the frog. Make it like a battle beast or a walking (or whatever it is they do) amphibic tank.

Somehow, it kind of reminds me of a slumber party pillow fight. :)

nwiz25
07-14-2007, 09:43 AM
holy moly! :eek: this is far out bro! :eek: love the lighting and colours already! :bounce: each of the fairies are so beautiful and lethal too! :scream::D each and every section of the concept has something for the viewer! :buttrock:
AWESOME my dear Tiz! :love:simply awesome! :applause:

good luck as always bro! :p :thumbsup:

Thaldir
07-14-2007, 02:24 PM
@ mdavid :blush: Thank you, Mark! I hope the final result will be up to par.

@ Gord-MacDonald: Thanks, Gord, yes, in my intention mood is fundamental here, I'm glad that it goes through even at this stage. :)

@ paperclip: Hi, there! Glad I intrigued you this much! :) The story will become clearer as I start playing with colors and light (at least, that's the idea...) looking forward to further impressions on your side. :)

@ MartinNielsen: thanks for the great praise, correct anatomy is very important to me. Please, point out any mistakes you may notice popping up later on, will you?

@ Ivy00: thank you so much, lady! I'd say that, as long as the best painting is the last, one seems to be on the right track, isn't that so? ;)

@ CyborgJA: thanks, Serena! Happy you like, hope you'll continue liking it as it develops :)

@ RicoD :what's the pink glowing one doing? Is she a fairy-secretary? Ah, Nerdy (she's the one my wife identifies with) well, she was just there reading a book when havoc began... she's seen the sniper (that isn't aiming at her) and is ready to use the book as a shield, but she isn't aware yet of incoming Psycho with the acorn-mace.

Sniper thanks you for the compliment. :)

We'll see what happens with the frog, I sort of wanted to have some 'normal' wildlife doing its own businness in the pic...

Somehow, it kind of reminds me of a slumber party pillow fight. LOL! Great image, Rico! Love the comparison and the kind of mood that evokes.

@ nwiz25: It's always a joy to see you in my threads, bro! Thank you so much for the great encouragment, and best of luck to you. :) :love:

CyborgJA
07-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Oh well amaze me with its wip ! :scream::thumbsup:

Thaldir
07-19-2007, 10:44 AM
My, what an impatient lady! ;)

I've just finished a matte I wanted to have ready before the Ballistic deadline (in the 2D gallery now) and for the time being I'll concentrate on this one, I promise!:)

Stay tuned...

Playmobil
07-19-2007, 10:54 AM
hi Thaldir
your concept is very HOT :D
i like your style, good luck man

:D

frk

Thaldir
07-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Thank you, Francesco, and good luck to you! :)

Slav
07-19-2007, 04:55 PM
this one can get really dirty really fast. i like it!

nwiz25
07-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Tiz! ma man .. where are ya?? its been quite a while :( .... missin ya! :cry:

Thaldir
07-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Thank you, Slav! I'll have an update up tomorrow evening I think. :)

Nevs, bro! Bear with me, please...
I've been painting like mad to get this at the next step, meanwhile a couple commissions arrived, so I guess I'll have to do a bit of juggling in the near future ;).
Did you get our e-mail with the photos of our newest addition? :)

Marina sends her love (as always :) ) hope all is well with you and family. :)

nwiz25
07-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Nevs, bro! Bear with me, please...
I've been painting like mad to get this at the next step, meanwhile a couple commissions arrived, so I guess I'll have to do a bit of juggling in the near future .
Did you get our e-mail with the photos of our newest addition?

Marina sends her love (as always ) hope all is well with you and family.

hey bro! :love: very happy to c u! :bounce: ... no probs .. me understand :p ....
i'll check my mails right away .. havent been able to lately ... i'm slumped with work too :cry:
my love n luck to u, marina and ur family! god bless u all! :love: missin u a lot! be well! :love:

Thaldir
07-24-2007, 08:33 PM
We miss you too, Nevs! :love:

Take good care of yourself and remember to take time off and relax every now and then, OK?

...Otherwise we'll have to come there and take things in our own hands... ;) :)

Thaldir
07-24-2007, 08:58 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1185310702_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1185310702_large.jpg)

And here comes what, in the terms of the 'Eon' challenge I would have called first color pass.

It is the almost final test for composition, color balance, athmosphere. Adjustments will be made till the end, of course, but the main elements are there (unless, of course, something dreadful escaped me and you make me realize it).
You may notice that a fae is missing...Psycho didn't work well with the farthest part of the composition, after all, so off she went.

Equipment and accessories will be added later (with a couple of exceptions, like Sniper's gun and the bag of fairy dust, as you see).

It may be a while before my next update: this morning I found my first ever e-mail from an AD getting in touch for a job, if everything goes as I hope the next month will be a busy one.
I'm a bit stunned yet, but it has been a wonderful start to the day. :)

Slav
07-25-2007, 03:35 AM
looking might sweet here.

only thing i dont like at this very moment is the very cg photoshop like texture of the rocks... and a few other areas.

but i am looking forward to see how you work everything out.

mdavid
07-25-2007, 03:44 AM
Wow, now that's one amazing update! Beautiful work! I really like how the eye is drawn to the brighter-lit areas in the centre of the scene. Once again, definitely no crits from me. Good luck with your workload!

Thaldir
07-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Thank you, friends! :)

Slav, you're perfectly right about the textures, of course, there's a whole lot of refining to do. :arteest: Glad you like it on the whole :) at this step checking the whole of the image was just what I had in mind. :)

Mark, thank you so much for the encouragement and the good luck whishes. :) It is what I wanted, but I confess that taking my first step in the industry is making me mightily nervous...

tAstyBITs
07-25-2007, 08:28 AM
I just wanted to say this is looking great! I'll keep my eye one this one, good luck with everything.

CyborgJA
07-25-2007, 09:31 AM
I absolutely love the palette choice.
I'll see how you'll manage these multiple light's sources :drool:

Thaldir
07-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Thank you, Darran and Serena, it is great to see both returning friends and new commenters.

The good whishes are extremely appreciated, I think I'll have a lot in my hands with those multiple lights. :)

Glad you like the palette, Serena, I'm trying to keep it harmonic but also 'lively'...

And now, back to work! :arteest:

Demitsuri
07-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi Tiziano!

All i can say - WOW :eek:

Colors and composition looks really good.

Your characters very beautiful.

The only thing bother me is the wings of fairy on the right, it looks too bright for me.

W-I-L
07-27-2007, 07:57 AM
hello. nice idea. the fairy camando on the right forground seems to pull me away from the compositions as a whole. perhaps if she was not looking at the "camera" and looking toward the action the it would be better.

the etheral lighting and colours are nice and fit the fairy world you have created but the textures you have laid on are destroing it for me. Maybe becasue i am a traditionalist and think that short cut textures are a bloddy sin. And i see people just randomly putting textures on as short cuts and it never looks good to me, much more interesting is creating texture by using bruishstrkes.

MartinNielsen
07-27-2007, 02:08 PM
WOW! That's a great update :thumbsup:

nwiz25
07-28-2007, 12:00 PM
without a doubt! i agree with Martin! :eek: incredible use of colours bro! very vivid indeed! :eek: :love: me looking forward to your next update bro! :love: god bless ya!

Thaldir
07-29-2007, 08:13 PM
@ Demitsuri: thank you, Dimitri! I've been wondering about the intensity of both lights (left and right) they probably will be tuned down some, going on with the work.

@ W-I-L thanks for commenting. You know? I'm a traditionalist too (been one for 17 years) and, IMO textures are not "bloody sin", as you so colorfully say, unless one doesn't know what he's doing.
As I said, I'm still in a very early stage of coloring, trying out the palette and the lights (and textures as well), this in my usual workflow is little more than a blocking in.

@ MartinNielsen: thanks! Hope you'll like the next ones too :).

@ nwiz25: Nevs, bro, thank you! :) It will be a while before the next update (I'm happily busy on card art for the moment) I'm really, really happy this Challenge ends in October, this way I've hope of finishing, although it looks like you and quite a few other friends will be on the finishing line way before I arrive myself ;)

W-I-L
07-30-2007, 07:55 AM
unless one doesn't know what he's doing.
thats all i ment... didn't realise you where in really early stage... keep em coming;)

Thaldir
07-30-2007, 11:07 AM
thats all i ment... didn't realise you where in really early stage... keep em coming;)

I will :) ;)

targus
07-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Wow, cool idea and realization, lots of charismatic persons with some individual characteristics which i can read from each face.

Just great work, rock on !!!

OKMER
07-30-2007, 10:55 PM
WOwwwww, taziano!!!Starting to work out so great!Lovely colors, characters and poses!(love that elfy booty,LOLLLL)
Actually I think the pic and his depth is still a bit difficult to read with all those elements,but I know you work that out supadupa nice as always!
Looking forward to your next steps buddy!

and....ok last one...

Thaldir
08-01-2007, 09:00 PM
targus: thank you for the great encouragement, mate, happy you like! Individual characteristics and temperament are very important to me. :)

OKMER: pal, it's great to see you! Yes, hopefully on the way all pieces will fall into place and the image will be clear but keep depth of field as well (at least that's the idea, hope I'll manage it ;) ) Elfy booties rule! ;)

Thaldir
08-18-2007, 09:54 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1187474084_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1187474084_large.jpg)

How long not seen! :)

I'm still here, though, just got a breather in between commissions (not that I'm complaining, mind you, I like way better illustration work than my 'normal' day-job work).

So I thought of taking advantage of the free time to post a little update , just a detail for now.

Be well, have fun and thanks for looking! :)

mdavid
08-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Once again, I can't crit this. Amazing work. I especially like that snail shell hat - that's a nice idea done really well

OKMER
08-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey Tiziano,hehe..Love it!That snailhat rock's indeed!
Maybe just one(2 lol)tiny little things..For me the distance between her shoulder and elbow seems maybe a tiny little bit too short.By the way, that elbow rock's!
The shadow on her left leg just behind her knee seems a bit strange to me..But I'm being a bit fuzzy there.Anyway, your use of colors and painting totaly rocks buddy!Keep m coming.Cheers!

Thaldir
08-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Mark, thank you very much, your constant encouragement means a lot, as does your constantly taking the time to comment, no matter how busy . :)

Remko! How's Captain Panda doing? ;) thanks for your ever helpful comments. :) I'll double check that arm, also I think I see what bothers you in the shadow: it may be just a bit too dark, so that the muscle looks like it's going in too deep, will correct, captain, sir! ;)

Thaldir
08-21-2007, 04:28 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1187713737_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1187713737_large.jpg)

Refining is progressing. I've worked on Commander and Sniper (Scout has been touched up too, but she'll be seen in the revised version in the next detail, with Gladiators)
All the fairies accessories haven't been forgotten, but will be added in the very final passage.

icedeyes
08-21-2007, 05:30 PM
every single one of the elements blends so nicelly together... this is trully marvellous... my only remark would be that the pose of the ducking fairy in your last post is a little too extreme (like she heard a very loud noise that startled her and turned) but it could work just fine...

Have fun,
George

walrus
08-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Beautiful work, Tiziano! I'm especially drawn to the hand and feet of the crouching girl. The shape is just gorgeous, as are the hilights that accentuate them. Is her lower leg a bit shorter than it should be...? Also, I find that big area of white just behind the sniper's rifle a bit distracting, and it makes the forms a little confusing because it pops into the foreground so easily.
But anyhow, lovely work so far, great going!

Thaldir
08-22-2007, 02:05 PM
George, thank you! The girl is keeping an eye on the 'enemies and meanwhile groping blindly for some bilberry ammo, it will definitely be clearer when accessories are added in (at least I hope so ;) ). It's very reassuring to hear that the elements fit together, I think this is the craziest, busiest painting I did to date and sometimes I worry a bit.

Mike, thanks! You're insightful as ever. You're right, that very light leaf *is* distracting, it was supposed to be a lotus leaf in the background, but it will definitely go, BTW I wasn't seeing it anymore...
Checked both legs and lightened the area a tiny bit, to make shapes of the lower leg a bit more perceivable, hopefully that will fix the problem.

I think I'll have another partial update tonight, LOVE the holidays, lots of time to paint in :).

Thaldir
08-23-2007, 07:42 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1187898173_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1187898173_large.jpg)

Couldn't post yesterday, after all, but here come the two Gladiators, as well as a slightly modified Scout, hope you'll find them to your taste. :-)

Ferx
08-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Hey Tiziano, wow!! great paintings!!, I love your fairys! :D All of your updates are a great surprise and a visual pleasure :thumbsup: and is a great touch the different types of wings in each one of them, nice!! ( I think a snail helmet like roman centurion helmet can be nice, only a comment) Great work man!! :applause:

Thaldir
08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Thank you, Fernando! :love: Will have to play a bit with that 'centurion snail helmet' idea, maybe not for this piece, but it sounds really intriguing. :)

icedeyes
08-24-2007, 04:20 PM
they are to my taste alright....:thumbsup: they look like the belong in the universe you created... keep it up...

Thaldir
08-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Thank you, George! :love: Next update will not be long in coming.

Gord-MacDonald
08-25-2007, 02:13 PM
lovely painting!

Gord

Thaldir
08-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks, Gord! :)

Thaldir
08-25-2007, 08:06 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1188072413_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1188072413_large.jpg)

And here comes the next piece of the puzzle, these three, the center of the image, are family favorites, hope I'm doing them justice...

Please, as usual, feel absolutely free to point out anything that might look off to you.

Ferx
08-25-2007, 08:12 PM
uuhh huuu thats great Tiziano!! I like the frog detail, is a clever reference for the size of the beautiful fairys :thumbsup: and again I love the different types of wings! nice mate!! :beer:

UldFerr
08-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Great work man. I love the complexity of your lights. Cool!!!
Just one thing, the three characters on our right of the canvas, have a completely different attitude from the others on the left. There is something sensual, maybe erotic about them that, in my opinion, doesn’t connect very well with the belligerent ones. It’s like they are in a different scene. Do you know what I mean? Maybe they are a little too relaxed and/or languid for a battle field.
I hope my comments are pertinent and somehow useful.
Good luck and have fun.

Thaldir
08-26-2007, 06:30 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1188153013_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1188153013_large.jpg)

Thanks a lot, Ferx, and you got me with the frog, mate! ;)

Uldferr, thanks a lot both for your appreciation and your costructive comment. :) I see what you mean, IMO it depends mostly from the laying down fairy, so I reworked her head/face to change her expression and the direction of her gaze, the other fairy will have a rope, so I read her smirk as a 'got you' expression.

Shinji
08-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Ciao Tiziano. E' bello vedere italiani in questa gara. Stai facendo davvero un ottimo lavoro.

Thaldir
08-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Ciao, Giuseppe, grazie! :blush:

Best of luck to you! I've seen your WIP, I wonder who (or what) the strange trainer will be...:)

In bocca al lupo! Ho visto il tuo WIP e mi chiedo proprio chi (o cosa) sarà lo strano allenatore ...

UldFerr
08-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Hello Tiziano,
I am glad that my comment was helpful, somehow.
I think your update works better. See you.

mdavid
08-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Your illustration is coming along extremely well. The details are fantastic. I can't offer any crits. Maybe an idea though: butterfly wings have reflective iridescent scales on them and dragonfly wings have a cell-like pattern between a network of 'veins'. So maybe between those options you can might find some ideas for wing textures/highlights that could be useful. I suppose some reflective highlights on the wings could look nice. But other than those ideas (which you should feel free to ignore) then let me say, "Wow!" and "Bravo!" and "Keep up the brilliant work"

EDIT: I've just noticed that you've already got some really cool dragonfly-wing-type details in there, so you're way ahead of me! Maybe the dragonfly-type wings could be a little more transparent. Or maybe not! You're going great :thumbsup:

icedeyes
08-28-2007, 12:14 PM
great details Tiziano... there are only three things that seem strange and they are both details... the ankle of the fairy thats strepping on the one on the ground is looking too sharp... like a dislocated bone... the second one is the hand of the one near the purse... looks like its buried because it blends too much with the bg and finally, third, you might want to bend the wing of the one that is putting all of her weight on them... even bones would bend at a stance like that (exagerating a bit)... I normally wouldn't even bother with these but because all of your work is of such high quality, you cant let these little stuff ruin it for you...

have fun,
George

AlonChou
08-28-2007, 03:01 PM
nice characters! they are all lifelike, great work!

OKMER
08-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Except for the coments I agree with of Mark and Icedeyes,I repeat...You rock!!!hehe..Cheers!Keep coming the great work Tiziano!

Thaldir
08-29-2007, 11:53 AM
My, what a rain of comments guys, thank you! :)

UldFerr, I'm really happy it works better for you, now, thanks again for pinpointing the earlier problem. :)

Mark, thanks a lot! Never going to ignore your comments, are you joking, man? In fact I'm planning to add a little more iridescence and/or details to the wings, but it will be done in the very last passage. :)

Icedeyes, bless your keen eyes, mate! Got (and hopefully corrected) the bag/hand and ankle things, as for the wings, though, she isn't really putting weight on them, they're half in the water...her weight is on her arms, the rock she's on ends just a tad from where her elbow is, maybe that's not as easy to see as it is supposed to be? :)

Thank you, Alon, such enthusiasm from you it's great praise. :love:

OKMER Thanks, mate! :love: Working on a commissioned portrait right now, so I guess it will be a few days before the next update, bear with me, please. :)

Thaldir
08-31-2007, 06:31 AM
Sorry, multiple posts...

Thaldir
08-31-2007, 06:32 AM
Again! Server hiccup?

Thaldir
08-31-2007, 06:37 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1188542269_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1188542269_large.jpg)

Silly me! I declared the fixes and forgot to post them...

Here they are.

OKMER
08-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Just amazing Tiziano!!!Do you use models or photoref's?Me just being curious.
(Yes, I got 4 girls laying around my desk I hear you say,haha!!!Nice,nice!!!)
My 2 cents would be,maybe bring in a bit more bleuish/dark desaturated green into the water to balance a bit more the overall bleu like the bleu grey and green tones in the rock's and the fairy's suite(the one laying on the ground with her wing's in the water).
I'll also push a bit further the reflection on the water,almost mirrorlike.

THe composition really rocks!I see a upside down foot on the rocks, just between the legs of the foregoround fairy!!!haha...
Anyway just amazing!
Later buddy!:beer:

....and one more then...
:grin:

Thaldir
09-01-2007, 02:37 PM
(Yes, I got 4 girls laying around my desk I hear you say,haha!!!Nice,nice!!!)

Exactly! ;) LOL! I wish I had this sort of models at my beck and call... I used , I think, something like 50 different references.
Rocks and pond come from our Chinese-style garden, and most of the girls are what a collegue calls 'Franken-beauties': I went like 'Let's use this pose, but with that expression' and then had my long-suffering wife posing to see what happened if the head was turned at a different angle or the arms where in a different position.

Thanks for the enthusiastic compliments. :love: the water is far from finished yet, and I'll definitely keep in mind your suggestions for the next step(s).

...I didn't really get the 'foot' thing (must work on my English, I know...) care to explain to a 'linguistically-challenged' collegue? ;) :)

Ferx
09-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Hey Tiziano, that fairys have a great expressions , very sexy !! cool !! :thumbsup: and love the pose and the eyes of the foremost fairy, great work mate! :beer:

OKMER
09-02-2007, 10:19 PM
This foot...:scream::twisted::applause:
http://www.imaginia.be/persoart/thefeet.jpg
:applause::D,
Ok I'm out :D

Thaldir
09-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Ferx, gracias, mate! You definitely are a great support and encouragment for me in this challenge. :)

OKMER, man! I hadn't seen it at all, until you pointed it out to me. It definitely wasn't intentional, but it will stay, and make viewers wonder ;).
Thanks a lot for eveything, pal! :)

badoero
09-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Great scene & athmospere ! Keep up the good work ! Bravo ! :thumbsup:

koager
09-06-2007, 03:24 AM
wow
the faeries are amazing!
goodluck with the competition!

really want to see the finished product
would then like to save a copy on my own computer
:D

musi
09-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Tiziano, wonderful progress!

Like very much how you lighted the scene: darker foreground elements and lighter deeper into perspective. Like the frame, that's inviting into the picture!
Well, and the details! :love:

Thaldir
09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Grazie, Arianna! I'll try to do my best :love:

Koager, thank you! feel free to right-click for personal use, I'm honored. :)
Musi, thank you so much! :love:as soon as I've finished a commission I'm working on (this week-end or early next week) I'll concentrate on this work and finish it.

Thaldir
09-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Hallo! :)

I'm back and ready for the final stretch of the Challenge.
If by any chance you're curious to know what I've been working on, my latest commission has just been posted in the 2D gallery... :)

(http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=133&t=538380)Eothreth, rider of Rohan (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=133&t=538380)

Thaldir
09-12-2007, 09:19 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1189631969_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1189631969_large.jpg)

Finally, after completing the 'advanced color pass' in the far back (including the half-hidden faeries and the frog) here comes the full view.
You'll notice (at least I hope you'll do) a few changes from the last one, in poses and expression, I think it is better this way, and most of it is due to your suggestions and constructive criticism, Thank you!

And now onward to the final refining and equipping...

Thaldir
09-14-2007, 08:51 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1189803085_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1189803085_large.jpg)

And now, ladies and gentlemen allow me to introduce...

...The first of my finished faeries: Scout. Hope you like. :-)

Ferx
09-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Hey Tiziano, she is......... beautiful my friend!! I love her!! :love: She has a really sensual mouth and eyes!! and the butterfly tattoo is cool mate!! :thumbsup: (Perhaps a bit shiny hair, but is only a personal opinion :D .... mmmm but she is a scout... :) ) Great work like always !! Cheers :beer:

Thaldir
09-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks Ferx! The next update won't be long in coming. :)

Forgive the question: do you mean that you would like her hair to be shining or that you think they are a bit too shiny now?

Ferx
09-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey Tiziano, I mean that i would like her hair a bit shiny :D I think if you make the hair a bit shiny on the most near fairy (my loved scout fairy :) ) you have a more range to paint the hair and shiny hair on the other fairys ( The hair is a one of the most sensual elements of the women, for sure :D ) , only a comment my friend :)

mdavid
09-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Beautiful work. I think Fernando makes a good point about the hair - a hint more shine on it would look delightfully sensual.

It's an amazing treat to watch your work progress

Thaldir
09-16-2007, 09:23 AM
I hear and obey, gentlemen. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Very likely a new update will be posted later today.

Thaldir
09-16-2007, 08:14 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1189973669_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1189973669_large.jpg)

And here comes my update, Scout's hair are shinier :) the standing Gladiator got some camo on and a new attire, the laying Gladiator got bilberry juice on, instead,also been working on the Contenders and Nerdy.
A question for you: how many bilberries are bobbing around or splattered on the rocks ? ;)

mdavid
09-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Fantastic work! The details are amazing. I sure can't guess how many of those berries are in the scene but they look excellent

Thaldir
09-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks Mark ! :blush:

This evening (well, at +1 GMT) I hope to post another update showing the center group finished: Nerdy & The Contenders (Oh, it's not a pop band, btw ;) )

RicoD
09-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Wow! It looks fabulous Tiziano! Great to see how you build up your piece!
I'm patiently awaiting the update on Nerdy and the Contenders.

:)

... ta-ta dum!

:rolleyes:

... hum hum ...

:eek:

... ehrm ...

:bounce:

Nah, I'm not! Show us! :twisted:

Thaldir
09-17-2007, 07:33 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1190057592_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1190057592_large.jpg)

Hi, RicoD! :) Great to see you!
And since it's not polite to keep people waiting... (drum roll)

Here come Nerdy and the Contenders!
... OK, there are a few more people as well, including someone that wasn't there before.

I could swear this piece is becoming something of a 'Where's Waldo?' thing, and now I find faces in the rocks everywhere (Thanks, OKMER ;) ) and I didn't put them in there on purpose...

Better not to mess with faeries, I tell you.

badoero
09-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Very good progress I see... now I want to see the finished work !

musi
09-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Hey Tiziano,

It looks like you are close to the final :scream:!
And if I haven't mentioned it before... I JUST LOVE IT! :love::love::love:
Those poses are so natural, and the colours!

Sorry for not heaving any critique... My posts are not of much help... I just like your work and want to express it :)

MartinNielsen
09-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Yes. It looks like you're close to completion. :wip: A fine piece of art :applause:

I still wonder though, why fairies are so popular on these boards?

Thaldir
09-18-2007, 03:02 PM
@ Musi : Thanks, it is very appreciated, Sasha :) ! Natural & interesting poses with the right combo of lights and colors are one of my primiry objectives for this illustration... They should tell a story in a frame by a title that could be: "A gust of wind just before the full storm arrival". It's just the first skirmish, the rest will be told by the spectator immagination ;) .

@ MartinNielsen : Glad you like it :) ! And about fairies popularity... yes, I'm wondering why too... faires everywhere wrecking havoc with their cute eyes, victorian dresses and magic dust ! Maybe we need something, or SOMEONE, to teach them a lesson or two... maybe a "COMMANDO" will do. :twisted:

BTW yes, I am close to the final: I'm planning to add some more detail on the left side of the image and before the end of this week I shall post it complete.

Ferx
09-19-2007, 02:15 AM
Hey Tiziano, thats great !! I love all the elements used on your image (and the faces and feets on the rocks are a great "random" detail :D , seriously. i love all the different types of wings for your fairies. that is a really great touch!!) The berry juice on the laying gladiators looks superb mate!! great. The Nerdy is cool (and of course, she received most of the berries :) ). And the atmosphere and lighting, put a magical and sensual note to all composition, really nice!! . I can only say: awesome work my friend!! (and i love the scout fairy!! :D ) Cheers ! :beer:

Thaldir
09-19-2007, 12:26 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1190204773_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1190204773_large.jpg)

Ooops, Arianna, sorry, your comment flew under my radar. Thank you so much for your appreciation, the final will come soon:-)

Ferx, thanks, mate! Really really happy you like it, believe it or not, faces and footprint weren't planned at all... :)

Tonight or tomorrow, after a few unifying touches I'll post the whole, if after a few days there are no suggestion for touch-ups I'll upload that as final, otherwise corrections will be made.
Thanks all for your great feedback!

Demitsuri
09-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Unfortunately I wasn't regular in this thread, but I must say that this is really great piece of art.

Characters very beautifull.

It would be great to see the whole picture.

Thaldir
09-20-2007, 11:55 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1190289349_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1190289349_large.jpg)

Demitsuri, thank you so much! I'm always happy to see known faces , no matter how long since the last visit. :)

And here comes the full painting. In my opinion this could be the final, but would love your opinions on the matter, folks: anything I missed 'cause I'm not really seeing it anymore? Thanks for looking!

mdavid
09-21-2007, 03:44 AM
It's amazing. Beautiful work. I can't suggest anything

scala
09-21-2007, 04:48 AM
Hey Thaldir Tiziano
Wonderful piece you did and also I like a lot your sketck Good luck

Ferx
09-21-2007, 06:30 AM
Hey Tiziano, thats is a really awesome painting, I love it!! and I enjoy exploring all the illustration, really great mate!! Like I say before, is a totally visual pleasure my friend!! Cheers! :beer:
(I need to work really hard...... -for two or three years or more - ... to challenge your painting.... :eek: hahahahhaha :D )

Thaldir
09-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Thank you, gentlemen. I'm really honored and flattered by your appreciation.:love::blush:.

SteevieWoo
09-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Well this is a great piece!! WHERE I'VE BEEN?

The soft lighting in the middle of the scene, where the two fairies are laying, is my favorite part, but all is so full of detail! seeing your posts I only wonder how close was your reference for poses and faces to the ones we see here. the lighting on the nerdy one is so detailed, and the arm position makes it harder to figure the right way to light it, but you did it great!!

That and the one about to be stoned!! Wow!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Man. If you didn't mean those stone faces you should consider your file to be haunted!

Where are the foot prints?

Thaldir
09-23-2007, 09:22 AM
WOW! Thank you! I'm very pleasantly surprised by the kind of feedback I'm getting on this Challenge. :love:

As to your question, poses are, in fact pretty close to references (quite a few of them are the result of multiple references, sort of 'this pose with that variation and that other expression', my wife still complains of a crick in the neck from posing for the neck and head of the laying down fairy ).
As for lighting, though, that's not-referenced: when shooting (or looking for) references I went for neutral lighting and in the painting I put the the lights where and how I needed them.

The faces weren't meant at all... but after OKMER pointed out the upside down footprint I started seeing those strange faces/heads everywhere, I wonder if I should worry...

Footprint, courtesy of OKMER

http://www.imaginia.be/persoart/thefeet

MartinNielsen
09-23-2007, 07:01 PM
You used your wife as references? She must be pretty hot :eek: Great work Thaldir.

Thaldir
09-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Well, actually I used bits and pieces of her as reference to adjust poses. :blush:
Actually she's here having a good laugh right now: she's a great support for my art and a volcano of ideas but definitely not 'model hot' (no more than myself, we aren't a 'Boris and Julie' kind of couple...)

walrus
09-23-2007, 08:37 PM
This really looks terrific! Great job with all fo the figures, teh lighting, the composition, the whole works! Looking at the big picture, there are so many more faeries in there than I'd realized, little ones hiding up in the back. And I am ever so impressed with your skin tones and lots of little hilights on the skin that makes them all look nice and shiny and really adds something, however subtlely. The lower-left crouching woman's leg and foot is one of my favorite parts of the whole thing, but I also love the glows in the center faeries' wings.

Because you have a month left and tons of time, I'll point out some little things that catch my eye. None of it major nor demanding attention, just total nit-picks that if you agree with, you can fool around with if you want to. I know full well that this is all silly trivial stuff I'm pointing out... you just don't have anything big left to crit, so maybe you'll find these useful:

* The fairy with her wings in the water on the lower right: The screen-right wing has a strong reflection, the screen left one seems to be lacking one and it feels mismatched.

* On the lower left, the "bucket" of berries looks like it's restign in a notch in the rock.. or is it overlapping the rock? Or is there a notch in the rock that just happens to coincide with the side of the "bucket?" That one little notch alwasy confuses me.

* Most of the leaves and plants have a wonderfully translucent nature to them - it really looks like light is filtering through the petals, specially in the yellow flower on the right and the 2nd green leaf from the left. The ones that aren't working as well for me - the ones that seem less translucent and more just painted, are the green leaves in the upper elft and upper right. The latter especially could use a little more of that touch because it's such a big part of the composition.

* The sniper on the left: The end of her rifle is on a tangent with the green leaf, and the anatomy on her right elbow and upper arm isn't entirely convincing.

That's all I got. Nothing too major. Good lcuk, and again, congrats for basically finishing. Nice work!

-mike

MartinNielsen
09-23-2007, 10:33 PM
You triggered a good laugh from me with that last post Thaldir. Women can be a puzzle sometimes. Always complaining about their looks, and when they finally hear the awful truth, they go crazy.

Thaldir
09-24-2007, 06:36 AM
Thank you, Mike! It's extremely appreciated :). Will fiddle with it a bit more and post an update when I'm done with your suggestions. :love:

Martin, LOL! Don't misunderstand me, she isn't ugly either, but she says that complaining about being average-looking is a waste of energy (besides we both have seen quite a few 'before and after' fashion and glamour photos. Photoshop in many cases is a great cosmetic surgeon).

Thaldir
09-24-2007, 12:36 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1190637369_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1190637369_large.jpg)

Here it is, with the corrections Walrus pointed out, hope I got everything.

° Changed rock shape to get rid of the notch.

° Worked on main 2 lotus leaves to add translucency.

° Got rid of the underwater goldfish that wasn't really noticeable but was messing up the reflection of the laying fairy's wings.

° Checked arm position for sniper fairy and worked on arm anatomy.

nwiz25
09-24-2007, 01:08 PM
heyyy bro! its been very long! :cry: i'm finally back :bounce: the last 2 months have been really rough for me .. work pressure .. little accident with my foot :cry:

now .. me back .. still hurting tho .. will have to manage ..

but good lord! this is looks fabulous! :eek: theres so much for the viewer! each and every nook and corner is a treat for the senses :p ...

just a few ideas wen u on the finishing touches ..

- a soft glow .. like wen ur in dream
- ever tried depth of field?

i think thats it ... nothin else ... very very eager to see the final showdown! :bounce: this is exquisite! :love: :eek:

god bless ya bro! wishing u all the luck as always! :thumbsup:

Thaldir
09-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Nevs?! HAPPY to see you back, Bro!:bounce::bounce::thumbsup:

we thought you might be busy, but... an accident? :eek::sad::cry: How are you now? Hope you'll heal fast and with no consequences! Definitely looking forward to see your entry for the Challenge finished, but first and foremost take good care of yourself, Bro! Sending good thoughts your way.

Mike, I forgot in the previous post: I hope I got the rifle/leaf tangent you mentioned but I'm not sure. Would you mind giving it a look and, in case it' still there mark it out for me? I seem to be a case of 'tangent -blindness' (better than color-blindness, but barely so ;)).

Thaldir
09-25-2007, 11:54 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1190721287_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12672/12672_1190721287_large.jpg)

I have always liked faeries, but about two years ago, at the height of the 'fairies craze' when Victorian-like faes were literally everywhere, I started thinking about painting something with non-conventional fairies giving some sort of lesson to classic, Victorian ones.

Being rather busy with other projects, nothing came out of it, until I heard the theme for this Challenge.
A sort of battle with grass, twigs and enchanted fruits and seed-pods, with 'commando' fairies confronting normal looking ones sounded a good fit for the topic.
Moreover, I have always admired Todd Lockwood's incredible mass scenes and wanted to try my hand at building a painting with a lot of characters interacting in a meaningful and clear way.

The community has been an incredible support and a great sounding board in helping me decide what worked and what didn't, often suggesting elements I'd otherwise never thought of.
Thank you, I hope you enjoyed the journey as much as I did.

mdavid
09-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Bravo! This is a beautiful piece of artwork that works on many levels. It's great that you were able to produce this on top of your already-big workload.

The figures are beautifully drawn, there's a great sense of fun in this scene and your use of colour is superb. The little details, like the tattoo and shell hat add a lot of value too.

Congratulations to you buddy, and the best of luck in the judging

walrus
09-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Congratulations, Tiziano! Another great piece from you! I'm glad my notes were helpful - they all seem fixed to me (including the tangent.) I had no idea that was a goldfish inthe water down there... and even looking back at the previous version, I find it hard o amke out. Either way, I think it reads more clearly now. So everything's all perfect and all of my quibbles are taken care of... I couldn't be happier (well, yes I could, I could be done with my own piece, that would make me happy indeed! :) )
Anyhow, great work!

-mike

nwiz25
09-25-2007, 09:15 PM
yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :scream::bounce::applause: you've reached the finishing line bro! CONGRATULATIONS are in order Tiz! :buttrock: this one surely takes the cake! very well executed .. beautiful .. sexy .. diverse characters! each one playing their role! i really love the lighting .. mood and best of all .. the situation!
god bless you bro!:love: i wish you good luck! :thumbsup: cheeeeeeeeers! :beer:

MartinNielsen
09-26-2007, 06:32 AM
Congrats! :thumbsup: A fiiiiiine piece you ended up with.

Thaldir
09-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Mark: thank you! :blush: . You've been unflagging in your support, help and praise and that's appreciated more than I can say.
And best of luck for your 'space hippy of crazy detail' :bounce: ! Updates coming?

Mike with all the things that compete for your time and attention nowadays, you still find the time to offer serious constructive criticism and to work on a stunning entry of yours...I wonder how you manage to do it all...Thank you for everything! I'll be there cheering when you cross the finishing line.

Neville real life has kept you away from the Challenge for quite a lot, and that had made your zest and enthusiastic encouragement even more precious. You have been missed and often though of, Nevs. wish you prompt and full healing and a lot of satisfaction with your art. Looking forward to the finished image!

MartinNielsen Thank you, for your presence in my thread, the support and the laughs, best of luck for the judging!(I still hope that pig is going to make it somehow...).

FYI: my entry is now posted on CG Talks 2d gallery in bigger size (I went for the maximum allowed: 1600 px) and with a few details...

Jassar
09-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Congrats man! I like this image :thumbsup:

Best wishes..

Demitsuri
09-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Congrats with final image Tiziano. :thumbsup:

Very beautiful work and a unique point of view on faeries. :)

Goodluck with voting.

marlena
09-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Bravo! Beautiful image, nice colours :thumbsup:

norzaful
09-27-2007, 09:51 AM
wow.... i really really really like your work man.. :thumbsup:

Thaldir
09-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Jassar, Demitsuri, marlena, norzaful: Thank you so much for your support, appreciation and well whishes.
Knowing that you like this work so much that you felt the need to stop here and let me know really means a lot to me.

Thank you, and best of luck to you all for your artistic endeavours. :love:

Ferx
09-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Hey Tiziano, great and beautiful art work my friend!! I love all composition and lighting. The atmosphere is magic and put a "little jungle note" for the fairies commando action, cool!. The scout fairy is charming, cute, beautiful, sexy ... I love her!! :D and I like that she are looking to the viewer of your painting, inviting him to join the fairies commando and to enter in the fantastic scene that you created, awesome mate!!. Really great detail in the whole painting, and the allready famous rock faces (look on the left bottom corner rock... nice!! I think that type of berries "bullets" can convert a fairy on stone... :D )

Again really awesome and beautiful art work master Tiziano :) Good luck my friend and time for a well deserved beers!! (and some tequila shots :D) Cheers Tiziano!! :beer: :applause:

Thaldir
09-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Ferx, my friend, thank you! You've been a great help and encouragement all through the Challenge and I appreciate your support and friendship to no end. :)

I really wish I was half good as you think I am, but I can promise I will strive to the outmost to get there.

P.S. I passed your compliments to Scout and she thanks you, but you've better be careful, or your 'high class lady' could become jelous and try to feed you to the crocodiles ;)

At the finishing line the tequila is on me. Cheers! :beer:

badoero
10-01-2007, 07:21 AM
I'm very happy to see the completed piece, Tiziano... and I like it very much ! :applause:

Hope to see it between the chosen by the jury !

musi
10-01-2007, 08:20 AM
I am not going to repeat myself...
Congratulations with the great finish! It's went over all my expectations!

dzordan
10-01-2007, 09:13 AM
You create great mood with CHaracters, colors, lightking and composition. It's cool 4 me :)

ashiataka
10-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Hi Tiziano, Congratulations! A very nice detailed image. Best wishes, good luck! Bravo, Cheers!

Thaldir
10-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Arianna, Grazie! Thank you so much, lady, for your support, regular visits and the well wishes. And...fingers crossed! ;)

Musi, you're , as always, lovely thank you so much for your continuing support and appreciation.:love:

Dzordan,dziekuje (sorry for the missing marks) mood was one of the fundamentals for me in this piece, I'm really happy to hear that it shows. Thanks for letting me know :)

ashiataka, sorry, I don't know how to say 'thank you' in your language. Thank you so much for taking the time to stop and post to show your appreciation, it is extremely appreciated

Jeffparadox
10-02-2007, 08:18 PM
It was fun to watch this one evolve. i think you've made an excellent job in joining all those characters with the lighting in that environment. so much anatomy work, pheww! the close up lady, and the seductive butterfly winged fairy with the reflection are my favorite, beautiful portraits. best of luck with the voting...

Thaldir
10-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Jeffparadox: thanks for the compliments and good wishes, man, it's really appreciated.
I had a lot of fun painting the faeries, I'm glad to hear this was a fun piece to follow for you.
The two ladies thank you as well ;).
Best of luck to you.:beer:

Korendo
10-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Greetings Tiziano,

Shock and awe! Oh the humanity, I mean, oh the fairiemanity! You masterful and gorgeous work accented by the massacre of the innocent by the once innocent. The sickening sweet is remedied by the highly spiced!
Enough of my silly ramblings, congratulations on an highly inspiring work!!

All the best bro!

Thaldir
10-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Oh, my! The originator of the Elvis-impersonating plumbers is here!
...Maybe this pond needs a check to its water system... ;-)

Seriously, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to express your thoughts so eloquently, it is really extremely appreciated.

The sickening sweet is remedied by the highly spiced! that was exacly the point I hoped to make, thanks!

All the best to you too! :beer:

P.S. your editing made it easier for a non-native speaker, but I hadn't misunderstood your tone, no worries!

Hiun
10-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Amazing execution, beautiful work:love:I wish you all the best on the judging my friend:thumbsup:

Thaldir
10-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Thank you!

Best of luck to you too, you have an interesting idea going.

guterrez
10-06-2007, 09:50 AM
wow, you`ve already finished?! how have I overseen this great artwork...the attitude of the main fairy (if she can be called so^^) is damn cool, very well executed
the stone-faces fit great to the scene and the backgroundcharacters are worked out well
the overall color scheme is a bit too much green but I think it works for the scene with the commando faeries ;)
well done and best of luck to you

PS: I`m a non native speaker but this quote of Korendo sounds like pure poetry to me, make sure you have this in you description^^

Korendo
10-06-2007, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE=Thaldir] Elvis-impersonating plumbers is here!
...Maybe this pond needs a check to its water system... ;-)

The Elf Environmental Protection Agency, Magic Pools Division has found high concentrations of an anti-elf-agent at the scene. But the Division of Water and Sewer outsourced to Trolls, found no blockages. So your pond is still going with the flow! Though one Elvis-Elf with a Plunger in a Frezetta action pose was reported by an undisclosed source.

OKMER
10-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Whoohoouu!!!YEssaiii, buddy!!!Sorry for me being out for a moment, but it feels so good to be back and see you worked your pic out so well man!Congratz on a great,great piece of art Tiziano!!!May ze forzz be wizz you!Cheers!!!

digital-bobert
10-06-2007, 09:34 PM
this is really coming along great Tiziano

Thaldir
10-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Guterrez, thank you so much! I'm glad the color scheme doesn't ruin it for you, I went mostly with light filtered through the lotus leaves, and I wanted the 'commandoes' to go for mimetic outfits, so, more green... :)

P.S. I agree completely on Korendo's quote...

Korendo, Thank for me your plumbers (and the Trolls as well) for this check. I'll rest more easily from now on ;). Do I have your permission to quote you when introducing this piece somewhere?

OKMER, mate! I had started worrying about you! Glad to see you back in good shape! Go finish your entry, now, or I'll never let you hear the end of it. ;) Best of luck to you!

digital-bobert Thank you so much, Bobby, it means a lot. :)

Korendo
10-08-2007, 03:29 AM
Greetings Thildir - Grand Lord of the Posts and High Artist Extraordinary,

Yes, I would be honored if you quoted me. Just don’t tell Elvis.

Thaldir
10-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Just don’t tell Elvis.

Rest assured, I won't. ;)

Hiun
10-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Tiziano... could you share your knowledge of FTP with me please? I suppose you have used it before being that this is not your first challenge:) I could use some solid info.
Thanks!

Thaldir
10-08-2007, 01:13 PM
My pleasure, Kamal.

Right now, though, I'm a bit confused myself, since I don't seem to be able to find any info about how and since which time we are supposed to submit our high-res file through FTP.

Last time the FTP uploader page was activated about 3 weeks before the closing of the challenge and it was announced, so my guess is it isn't ready yet.

On my side, I tried different programs, and settled on SmartFTP, it is free and I found it easy to use.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. :)

Hiun
10-08-2007, 02:29 PM
You have been a great help, thank you so much!

Thaldir
10-08-2007, 09:12 PM
You are welcome! :)

badoero
10-11-2007, 03:37 PM
the stone-faces fit great to the scene and the background characters are worked out well :eek:

Ooops ! I didn't noticed the faces untill now ! Definitely a piece full of surprises... I must search trough the image with more attention now, maybe I shall find some other hidden things... ;)

BTW, very smart idea ! :thumbsup:

MartinNielsen
10-11-2007, 08:11 PM
I didn't as well. This masterpiece sure has a lot of surprises :eek:

Thaldir
10-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Arianna, Martin thank you! :love:
As a child I enjoyed illustrations that 'drew me in' with lots of little details to be discovered a bit at a time...I tried to paint something in that vein and to hint at something more behind the obviously visible.

Jeffparadox
10-14-2007, 12:10 AM
hahaha, it's the last days, this piece needs to been seen some more...

Thaldir
10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanx for the "bump", pal !:)

icedeyes
10-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I hadnt seen the final image Tiziano... It looks mindblowing man... everything in it looks soooo detailed... You can really capture emotions... Amazing work... Best of luck with the voting...

Korendo
10-18-2007, 09:24 PM
I too need a commando fairy burst of green!

Thaldir
10-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Icedeyes, thank you, George. :) You have been a constant support and great help, I'm really happy you like the final result. Thanks for the good wishes! I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but however it goes this has been a hugely enjoyable ride.

Korendo, I'll have a 'friendly' chat with the commando sarge and see if I can arrange an airborne drop, just give me the precise coordinated of the target. ;)

Korendo
10-20-2007, 03:40 AM
Oh, to again bask in a wave of green, after sitting in a cesspool all day one needs to get back to nature. The commando airdrop should be at "Superfund Site 12" near Grace Land of course.

Thaldir
10-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Copy, ready for airdrop at specified coordinates, commando out.

Korendo
10-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Investigation of non-national commandos on U.S. soil

Agent Larry - It looks like the fairies were massacred here. (Picking up commando fairy rifle)

Agent Curly - Hey Moe look at the Nerf ball (squeezing the ball it explodes covering Moe with green goo)

Agent Moe – Why you pudding head! (Bonk! Pushes Curley who falls into Larry discharging the commando fairy rifle, blowing off a three inch wide swath of hair of the top of Moe’s head)

Exit scene as Agent Moe chases the other two agents.

badoero
10-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Agent Larry - It looks like the fairies were massacred here. (Picking up commando fairy rifle)

Not so fast... theese faeries are masters in misdirection tactics: watch your back ! :D

BTW, I saw the preview of the new Exotique 3 and that you are in with your "Elven Scout": congratulations for a beautifull piece inside an awesome book ! :applause:

RicoD
10-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Hey Tiziano! The final is gorgeous! Just wanted to wish you luck in the judging stage. Also, congrats for making it into Exotique 3! That book is really suited for your 'body of work' (pun intended). :)

Thaldir
10-28-2007, 06:50 PM
LOL! Yes, those fairies are more cunning that they look, I'd suggest the three agents to watch their backs *and* look above as well.

Thanks for the congratulations, folks! It was really a giddy moment when the announcement e-mail arrived (compounded by the fact that just the evening before I had landed my first free-lancing job in the industry...).

I'm still excited, a bit scared (since I feel I've definitely to remain up to par, now) and still 'in seventh Heaven' as we say in Italy (I think it's 'on cloud 9' in the U.S.). I can't wait to hold the book...

Nemesix
10-28-2007, 07:06 PM
This is a great piece! Wonderful composition, colors and concept. I love it! BRAVISSIMO! Good luck!

Thaldir
10-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Thank you, and best of luck to you too! :)

gpepper
10-28-2007, 10:01 PM
simply beautiful.

Thaldir
10-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Thank you, Gilles.

Korendo
11-02-2007, 02:33 AM
Hi Tiziano,

Congratulations on the freelance work and on being selected for inclusion in Exotique 3.

You recommended to someone else to use Smart FTP, I was not thrilled with the FTP software I had been using so I gave it a try and found it works great! Thanks to the tip.

Thaldir
11-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Thank you, Ralph! :)

I'm glad I was of some help, Smart FTP has been the first I tried and I haven't seen any reason to change, yet. ;)

haijin
11-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Ah, here it is! :)

I've seen your entry in your portfolio (and CGTalks, of course) and it's really nice to see all the detail images, but the step-by-step here is wonderful. Best of luck with the judging!

P.S. the piece seems to have been somehow overlooked in CGTalk and I wonder why, possibly it was posted too early? It definitely isn't a matter of quality...

OKMER
11-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Hi Tiziano!!!Hey, sorry couldn't be in here some more man.You did once again a huge pic here man and I congrat you on finishing man!.I wish you all the best and really hope to find you back again next time!Cheers Tiziano

Thaldir
11-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Thank you, haijin. Yes, I probably posted it too early (at least I hope that's the reason ;) ), lesson learned for next time. :)

Hey, OKMER! Don't worry, pal I know how it is when RL gets in the way, I too had no way to be as socially active on the forums as I should have liked...:)

I'm very sorry that you couldn't finish your entry, both ideas were really great. I do hope very much that you'll finish them anyway for your portfolio, they are too good to be wasted.

Here's to next time :beer:, count on it!

P.S. sorry for the delay in answering, I tried a few times but the site was terribly sluggish.

quaam
03-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Sorry for not posting earlier. Definitely one of my favorites! I love the sketch of the scout and the final render of the Scout. The shell hats are awesome and I love the attention to detail on the camo suits. I especially loved the expressions on the faces of the gladiators.

2 Thumbs up! You've got me wanting for more of the fairy wars, especially the scout.

Two questions:

What was your inspiration for the characters and the idea of Vintage Fairies vs. Moth-Fairy Commandos?

Also, how long did it take you from initial sketches to final render?

Keep up the excellent work. Hope to see more from you soon!

--Ruy Delgado--

Thaldir
03-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Hello, Ruy! :)

Thank you so much for writing, I'm really glad that you like this piece.

Question one... well, I wanted to paint an action scene with a lot of characters, and the commando fairies were an old idea of mine that I hadn't put to paper (or pixels) yet.
It was born of a 'surfait of fairies' so to speak, when, sometime ago they had become the rage and rampaged through every art-gallery in sight, I somewhat was tired of seeing vintage fairies or big-eyed fairies everywhere and thought of a 'though' alternative, wild commando-style moth-fairies.

Question two, difficult to say, really. I took advantage of the Challenge's long deadline, but while working on this piece I also did some industry work and a couple of private commissions.

Hope to see you around in the new Challenge!

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2008, 09:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.