PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Gunilla Elam

Gunilla
06-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Gunilla Elam is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/view_entries.php?challenger=12659)

Latest Update: Shading (Textured and lit): some skin
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1188834620_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4626680#post4626680)

Gunilla
06-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, uhm - this topic kind of goes quite well with me, right? :D

Looking forward to spin around here once again, best of luck to all participants :thumbsup:

gpepper
06-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Gunnie in !
Cool !
I hope you will see me more than the last time !
Anyway, best of luck to you girl !

Zapan
06-25-2007, 04:42 PM
*jumps on Gunie*

Ok who got the beers and the chips ?

Have a lots a fun and best of luck Gunie dear !

cheers ,

-Stéph

scootermaya
06-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Weeeeeeeee! :bounce:

Good luck, good luck, good luck Gunnie

arturro
06-25-2007, 04:56 PM
yes, it wouldn't be the same without you :) good to see you here! good luck

DimitrisLiatsos
06-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Indeed ...Bombastic Greeks are happy to see u in this..err...too! :)

AndreiSzasz
06-25-2007, 05:55 PM
hei Gunnie !
glad to see you back in the challenges !
lots of fun and good luck ! :bounce:

flaeticia
06-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Hey u !!!

gunieeeeeeeeeeeeee

Yeah :D
have a lots of fun and sure, i wish u a g00d g00d luck :D

:)

DaddyMack
06-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Eeeee!!... Wouldn't be a challenge without you Gunilla:scream::wise::bounce::applause:

Sorry... I just get so emoticonal about these things sometimes:P

Gunilla
06-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Thanks all for the greetings! I hadn't plan to enter this time - but the topic and the opportunity to play with you all once more just couldn't be missed :bounce:

Some ideas bouncing around my head at the momement - and one image got stuck there.
A woman, stuck inside a box looking out on the world through a periscope.
Maybe not a funny idea, but could perhaps be a challenge for me to make. What do you think?

scootermaya
06-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Thanks all for the greetings! I hadn't plan to enter this time - but the topic and the opportunity to play with you all once more just couldn't be missed :bounce:

Some ideas bouncing around my head at the momement - and one image got stuck there.
Maybe not a funny idea, but could perhaps be a challenge for me to make. What do you think?

:scream: sounds like someone is working too much in her studio latelly :scream: . The periscope is nice and very methaphoric. The squiz woman in the box would be a nice modeling chalenge. I like this idea. Great! competition is open now!:bounce:

daWinky
06-26-2007, 07:12 AM
When I saw the topic I was sure to see you in...:D
Lots of fun and good luck for you!

-sabrina

mdavid
06-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Ahah! The Gunilla thread is officially opened! :) That's excellent news! I think your idea sounds like a really nice example of strange behavior - the way I see it the theme is so broad it can cover a lot of possibilities

Zapan
06-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Morning Gunie ... aaah , I love the morning greetings :)

Maybe not a funny idea, but could perhaps be a challenge for me to make.

Ouh , that could be really interesting , the metaphore is really strong ... and challenging as well but I'm wondering how you could place the camera ... is it gonna be inside the box with the woman ? gonna be tough to see what is she looking in the periscope ... and if the cam is placed outside the box , we cannot see the lady .... my thoughts tho ...

But the theme is really nice as well. And I'm not worried about the "not funny" theme ... the challenge subject quite suggest a cartoonish style and that could be really cool to make something 's different you know ?

cheers ,

-Stéph

steveschultz
06-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Love the idea, it makes me want to know why she's in that damn box! But, I'm not sure exactly falls along the lines of "strange" behavior, as much as "apprehended" behavior...that is unless she's playing submarine, but then again would it be strange then? Hell, what do I know...still love it, it must be good because I'm still typing, ha!

sTEVe

Claireabella
06-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Hey there Gunilla. Good to see you in this challenge. I like your idea..... Good luck and enjoy the challenge. :thumbsup:

Gunilla
06-26-2007, 04:03 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1182873789_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1182873789_large.jpg)

Maybe something like this - first sketch to get started.

Intervain
06-26-2007, 04:13 PM
aw he must be uncomfortable ;) - looking cool!

Gunilla
06-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Good evening,

Scooter - ahaha, am I that obvious? Indeed I've been stuck in my studio alot lately so this could be just like a self portrait :)

Sabie - thanks - and where is your thread? You're entering this, aren't you?

Mark - I swear, when I pushed that join button I got thinking that, will anything be any stranger than this? Beautiful summer outside and I'm entering again. Doesn't make a very interesting image though, so making it more metaphorical might be better.

Steph - Glad you like the initial idea, and sure there are some things to work out. I was thinking of leaving one side open, as in the sketch - it would also indicate that she is in there volountarily - may work, yes?
The surrounding is giving me a headache - it has to be left open for a while.

Steve - thanks, glad it makes you curious. And what would be stranger than to live inside a box? :D
The submarine thing made me think of maybe placing her under water... but then, as yiu mention, it wouldn't be so strange after all.

Claire - thank you and you too :)

Magdalena - Uncomfortable, sure! But a woman's got to do what a woman's got to do :D

So, a first draft to get a feel for the idea - I think the surroundings will be critical to make this work well - first I was thinking a beautiful garden but I'm not sure... maybe it should be just another surrounding box?
Anyway, no need to rush things -there is still plenty of time.
Love to hear your comments on this.

ihamid
06-26-2007, 07:52 PM
hi Gunila ..good to see u here :thumbsup: . this is going to be really fun !
cheers!

makaron
06-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Hej å Hå... :bounce: nice to see you already at it...

mdavid
06-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Excellent - we have a concept sketch already. :) If you intend to stick with the underwater idea then those fish could be just as fascinated staring into the periscope as the woman is staring out and there's your joke. Well, sort of. But I suppose that if you go underwater then that open side would be perceived as more a way of us looking inside the box and not a means of her getting out if she wants to.

I'm enjoying the metaphorical implications of someone observing the world from inside a box. I'm looking forward to seeing where you will go with this, and where you place that box.

scootermaya
06-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Cool sketch Gunilla, but ... fish? No birds? Hmmm
That's going to be a nice challenge :bounce:

Gunilla
06-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Hamid - likewise :thumbsup:

Mona - you too :)

Mark - yup, I think you're right, underwater would be raising some questions as; where does she get the air? If one side is open how can she be dry? I'm leaning more towards a forrest/garden environment at the moment. An animal could be the one peeking in from the other side of the periscope, right? thanks for the insight :)

Scooter - well... there just might be some birds later - we'll see :)

So, I just realised this one needs for more of animation than the previous challenge. I need to make some tests and thinking to see if this concept will be good for animation or if I need to come up with something else.

thanks for your always great support :thumbsup:

Elendil_le_Grand
06-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Good luck man :)
Your first sketch is already very cool ;)

scootermaya
06-27-2007, 07:47 AM
I do think it can work with animation; everything around the box is moving and she is watching them ... yeah, that could work.:bounce:
But on the other hand, I'm pretty sure you will find another even more crazy idea:D

varma
06-27-2007, 08:56 AM
That is SO unfair! I was going to do exactly the same concept, except I would use
blue for the sketch lines and black as background! Now I have to change my entry,
still, I would go for something "fishy"!
:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Zapan
06-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Hey Gunie ! :)

Sure the underwater scene could be really disturbing , and animation could simply be to play with camera , turning around and introducing the box .

I had a weird idea about yesterday , in fact I was picturing the girl a lot younger , and the box would have been these tiny carton cabans but yet cozy that the kids are building with packages boxes and stuff , maybe in the cave or in the garage and the periscope is used to spy the garden outside ... Yeah this is way less crazy ... forget about it ... you proved many times in the past that my imagination has less the "strange behavior" than yours :scream: ...

Just sitting and watch :)

cheers ,

-Stéph

Gunilla
06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Nicolas - thank you! :)

Scooter - thanks and yes - something like that could be cool.

Mathias - Oh dear, well I'm sure you could go for the same idea, the end result will probably be quite different anyway. Hope you'll sort it out :)

Steph - I understand your thinking about the girl well, this could turn into a charming scene... however, making her older, perhaps in her middleages, would make the whole situation so much more disturbing, don't you think?
And thank for the "strange behavior" compliment... I think :D

Below will come some inspiration pics now.

Gunilla
06-27-2007, 11:04 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1182942237_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1182942237_large.jpg)

So, basic idea as follows.
She will be in some kind of forrest surrounded with stiff sculptures/images of strange creaturs. When looking at them they will come alive and start to move. The plan is to do it as a combination of 3d and 2d.

Some of the refs for creatures would be these ones.

Good idea?

DaddyMack
06-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Wow Gunilla, if you can somehow carry that woodcut style through the piece this will really look strange... Love the concept too... real out of your natural environment kinda stuff

Zapan
06-27-2007, 11:52 AM
omg , yeah if you can include the little guys , it's gonna be really strange !
See ? definitely I can't coming up with those crazy ideas ... ... ... its gonna be so cool :bounce:

Just can't wait ...

cheers ,

-Stéph

JurajMolcak
06-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Hey Gunnie! Already on the good way I see. Can´t wait for some story telling. Good luck!

ihamid
06-27-2007, 12:59 PM
those are some strange creatures .... :) . me thinks the idea is good. will wait to see how u develop this .
cheers!

SantoAnderson
06-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Wow, I love those pieces. Very Pan's Labyrinth-ish. I can't wait to see more.

handlebar
06-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Great start Gunilla, the concept sounds magically surreal, the mixture of 2d and 3d elements could work very well.

Steve 8)

scootermaya
06-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Funny ! They looks like the people I met on friday at my kids school :scream: (not the teachers, hu)

Cool idea, Gunnie. I think the mix is going to be very interesting.:applause:
Just remember that you have actually to modelise them :scream: . Mouarf, I'm glad I didn't come up with this idea :D

makaron
06-27-2007, 10:25 PM
nice creatures...bet you can do some really funny stuff with those... :)

and I can make them talk comments later on here... haha :twisted:

CryingHorn
06-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi Gunilla, nice to see you once again, good luck on this one :thumbsup:

mdavid
06-28-2007, 11:43 AM
There's a kind of Alice in Wonderland quality to this concept which is really intriguing and quite beautiful. Excellent stuff, Gunilla :)

theuni
06-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi there pal & welcome to the challenge... concept looks promising ;-)

Gunilla
06-29-2007, 10:16 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1183112191_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1183112191_large.jpg)

And the fun begins... lowpoly made in Max and brought into ZB

Gunilla
06-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Daddy - yup. My hopes is to make that happen - actually the plan for now is to start them off as simple silhouettes with the woodcuts on and then transform them into something more "alive" Haven't quite figured out how yet :)

Steph - hey, glad you like the way my twisted brain works. Thanks :)

Juraj - ah, yes the story... will come soonish. thanks for cheering.

Hamid - thanks, and I'm kind of curious too :D

Brian - thanks! I hope I can make something mysterious here.

Steven - Glad you like the idea, it's going to be interesting to see if I can succeed with a good mix.

Michel - At your kids school? And if it's not the teachers, who is it? The kids? :eek:
... and we'll see how much I end up modeling ;)

Mona - ha! Last time I heard these species where definitely mute :D

Andrius - you too, lets have fun with this!

Mark - thanks for liking it, I hope to make something strange and perhaps a bit disturbing here.

Stephan - hey, good to see you in!

So, this is the first draft basemesh for the woman. This will be interesting since it's the first time I try modeling a character in pose. All suggestions and critics most welcome!

DaddyMack
06-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Whoah.. it will be a truly intriguing process to watch you pull this style off G! and it's great to see the Z3 choco hit the screen;)

Ktether
06-30-2007, 12:45 AM
It could be the thinker eating a hamburger ;).

mdavid
06-30-2007, 01:07 AM
You've got a really nice life-like pose happening there Gunilla. Lovely work :thumbsup:

Zapan
06-30-2007, 10:48 AM
You've got a really nice life-like pose happening there Gunilla. Lovely work

Agree with Mark here , you seem to have found the perfect natural , life-like pose for your character .... The modelophobia seems to be so far away from you now , and it appears you're really comfortable with it.

Can't wait for more , mighty Gunie :)

w00t,

-Stéph

varma
06-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Judging from the muscular shape still being in place, keeping the overall form, while exposed
to the extreme pose, I would dare to say that this is a mega rig!
Is it a Zsphere rig or did you use the new transpose tool?
Either way, you made it flawless! I see the vertice in the elbows and right-foot toes, very
clean and elaborate!
Hope you are as successful smoothing and detailing, which in extreme poses, can be very
difficult, (dødsjobbigt!), unless you resort to your plan B, giving her a loose pair of pants
(dark crimson) and a hippie shirt (purple and pink)!
;)

daWinky
07-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Morning Gunie!

Can't wait to see how you work out your ideas here, the concept is strange for sure...and this can only be a compliment here! I love your reference for the creatures, and nothing to say about your in-pose modeled character, just:thumbsup: ...

And like you I didn't plan to enter this challenge...spending the spare time of the summer in front of the screen is ...ähm, strange behavior:D , but seeing how long this challenge runs I'm already thinking of cutting a little time here and there...ah, I'm not sure:scream: ...

Wish you a great start in the week!

-sabrina

scootermaya
07-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Good morning.

Great posture. It is going to be painefull to do details on this one :D

For the Kids School: It was during the party for the end of the year. Strange people came along with the childrens. LOL.

miketche
07-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Stoping by to check out your thread. Very interesting concept here.
What type of animation are you aiming for? A simple camera move of the environment, or something more complex?

gpepper
07-02-2007, 01:26 PM
No update ?

Zapan
07-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Mmmh .... I think that's the right time to show down the charming but powerful Joker from my back pocket ... :

http://images.leportailweb.com/clips/smiley/ipb/cheer.gif

Theerapol
07-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I like the way you pose character. Looks cool.

shakes
07-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi Gunilla! what a great challenge this is, and I love the idea of yours of all the creatures..suits you perfectly..look forward to more!!

Intervain
07-02-2007, 10:58 PM
good start on the base mesh - looking forward to the sculpting :)

Gunilla
07-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Rob - thanks for having faith in me :)

Ktether - :D

Mark - thank you, glad you think it could work.

Steph - no more modelophbia? Ahhh, I don't know - just when I've finally feel comfy with pulling vertices the sculpting is to start :eek:
I find this step really difficult - and I also have to figure out hoe to do clothes!! I will definitely need some directions from you in that regards later.

Mathias - thank you for those nice compliments :) The base is made with box/polymodeling in Max. Made directly in the desired pose. The detailing so far has been a headache so the idea of loose hippie clothes is temting (as if modeling cloth where more simple)

Sabie - thanks... and seeing it's a new day today, have you started your thread yet? :deal:

Michel - thanks! and thanks for reminding me about the details :twisted:

Mike - for the animation, I am thinking of a simple zoom in or still camera, and then to have the creatures come alive and move. It all has to do with how much time I can spend.
It will be a mix of 3d and 2d or 2,5d. That's the plan for now.

Gilles - :blush:

Steph - Ahhh! It's "the Stephounette" how can I resist? :D
I hope to have an update later today.

Theerapol - thank you, are you in the challenge? I haven't seen your thread.

Shakes - :bounce:Hey buddy, I'm surprise you haven't entered yet, this challenge is soo shakeish ... you should join us!

Magdalena - thank you, but it gives me some troubles. Hope to solve them today.

So, heres the status. I didn't like the way the basemesh worked for the head so I redid the mesh in Max, giving it more polys. Result was even worse :sad:
I will remake it once more and see if I can make it work better for me.
I find the sculpting very difficult, it's like I don't have the same control over the shapes, perhaps the new lazybrush option will help me.
Anyway, I hope to have something up here later.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

scootermaya
07-03-2007, 06:16 AM
'morning!

Sorry to hear that you have to start again ...
Good luck Gunnie, may the force be with you:thumbsup:

Gunilla
07-03-2007, 08:40 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1183452004_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1183452004_large.jpg)

Beginning of the head. The new basemesh works a lot better so the work of redoing it wasn't all a waste of time. Good.

gpepper
07-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Nice start !
Keep the good modeling on !

Try
07-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Great start Gunilla! Really like the pose of your man in the box. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Though I must say I really liked the weird creatures of the woodcuts you posted. Maybe you can squeeze some of them in the back…:)

Good luck!!

Zapan
07-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Ahhhh :)

Really great start for the sculpting !! w00t
Only crit now , I find the cheeks a bit chubby , are you up for realism concerning the girl ?

But it's gonna be awesome to see you sulpting this model ! :bounce:

I also have to figure out hoe to do clothes!! I will definitely need some directions from you in that regards later.

Of course , no problems , I will give you all the help I can provide. :) ... but aren't you afraid my suggestions could lead you to minimal clothing ? ... or boots ?

Can't wait for more ... and it should appear really soon right ?

cheers,

-Stéph

CryingHorn
07-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Great start, the topology looks very good, keep it up

mdavid
07-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Cool! Another Gunilla update! Lovely work. I agree with Stéph that the girl's cheeks are a little bit too puffed up, but that's not a big bother for me because the overall profile and shape look really good. Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

GonzaloGolpe
07-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Grreetings! hola! hallo!

nice idea you have over here., hehe I´ll be watching to the progress of it. Have fun and enjoyyy

polygonwarrior
07-04-2007, 03:16 AM
looks good.best of luck for the challenge.will follow ur thread.

Gunilla
07-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Gilles - thank you, and I'm beginning to enjoy this now!

Per - hi there! Will you enter? And yes, the plan is to somehow fit in the woodcuts here too :)

Steph - Chubby cheeks? Well, perhaps you're right - I want it to be clear she's not a girl but more 50 something.... what do you think of this update?
And I don't think we want to see this ladey in a sexy outfit, perhaps a Tshirt and skirt?

Andrius - thank you :)

Mark - thank you! Do you feel the cheeks are in better proportion with the body now? I want her to seem a bit pluffy but not fat :shrug:

Gonzalo - hola and thanks ! What is this, a new nickname? How confusing ... love that avatar though :thumbsup:

CUBISIS - thanks, good luck to you too :)

Gunilla
07-04-2007, 10:26 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1183544771_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1183544771_large.jpg)

So, a small update - still very rough.
I need some advice here, there seems to be something wacky with her proportions... can't put my finger on it. Head to big? Legs to short?
Love to get some comments on this.

shakes
07-04-2007, 10:31 AM
i think it's the lower leg that looks too short Gunilla..otherwise tops! I really love the proportions, and the zbrush sculpt look is so nice!

varma
07-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Great update Gunilla! It shows that you know your way around Z!
I agree with shakes about the lower leg, and if you think that the head is too big,
that's because of the shoulders, which should be a bit thinner!
I like her face though, and the hairdo basis is really cool! Why 50, by the way?
Keep up!

mdavid
07-05-2007, 01:51 AM
Wow! That looks excellent. That's a wonderfully realistic pose you've modeled there. I was wondering about the elbow - the left upper arm seems to have curved forward at the elbow in a way that I think might be wrong. So I've reproduced your model in ZB here ... hahaha! Yeah, right! There's no way I can handle ZB like you can! No I've overpainted to show what I mean. Just my opinion though - I'm not expert in realistic human modeling.

http://www.mdavid.com.au/cg/gunillafig.jpg

The right foot seems to be a bit small too. But once again I'm being mighty fussy because it looks great. And her face/cheeks look great now too. This is going really well :thumbsup:

Zapan
07-05-2007, 05:28 AM
Morning Gunie !!

And now that's speedy Gunie yay!
It looks ... awesome ! I'm pretty agree with Mark's suggestions but overall it looks great . Everything seems to be here and in the right place :)

I do think that maybe her face is a bit chubby , probably due to the low jaws in the side view ... but we don't have to create sexy babes everytime ... and I'm sure you got a precise idea of how you want this girl ... sorry ... lady ! :)
So I'm shutting up now ... hehe

Can't wait for more ,

cheers ,

-Stéph

Try
07-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Looking good Gunilla!:thumbsup:
That is one hard pose to model but it looks like you are on the right track.

By the way is this a self portrait? Kind of like I`ve imagined you….:)
Only not quite so sunburned skin, a little bit more toes and fingers, and of curse much biger boobs.:D

Then on the other hand it would be hard to pose and model oneself like this at once I guess….

Getting pretty close to enter yes. But still a bit worried I can’t finish…
Didn’t feel good when I had to throw in the towel on Eon.
But I`m getting some silly ideas for motives in my head and I may be hard to not enter…

And you guys doing all this inspiring work isn’t helping me to stay away either….

Gunilla
07-06-2007, 03:02 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1183734148_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1183734148_large.jpg)

Small updates on the lady - also some drafts for clothes. What do you think about this style for outfit?

Gunilla
07-06-2007, 03:16 PM
John - good point and thanks for noticing. I've lengthened it now and feel much better about it :thumbsup:

Mathias - Why 50? Well, I'd like her to be the nextdoor neighbour, very casual, the type of person you least expect spying on creatures through a periscope, don't you think? Also, how many charactersof this kind have you seen around here? Middle aged women has to be a rare species :)

Mark - great, thanks! I've adjusted it after your suggested overpaint. Sometimes it's so easy to get blind when looking to close :)

Steph - speedy? Naah, just a snail doing some exercise :D
Good comment about the jaw, I thinks that's exactly what bothered me with the last version. I've tried to give it some structure while still remaining fluffy (this is not easy!)

Per - If I'd known how hard it was to work with this pose I would probably made another. Glad you like it though.
Sorry to disappoint you, this is not a self portrait other than in the sense, that I've spent far to much time boxed in this spring... so perhaps a mental selfportrait :D
And of course you should enter - you can play as long and much as you want to, finishtime is not here for a loong time.

So, I really had to try and give her a start for an outfit. Not a Stephstyled one I'm afraid - perhaps to boring?

gpepper
07-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Looks better and better every day !
You are going to become the mistress (female of master) of ZB !

shakes
07-06-2007, 09:06 PM
looks great to me, Gunilla-proportions look better too
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9963/wabbit3cr0.gif (http://imageshack.us)

mr_carl
07-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi gunilla,

Exelent consept and nice sculpting going on there, I can understand that you think this is a dificult pose to sculpt but it looks really great.

Carl.

mdavid
07-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Yep, I agree with the others - it's looking excellent. Really nice stuff! No crits, time for cheering now :applause:

Zapan
07-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Morning Gunie !

The face looks much better now me think !
And great start for the clothes , I do unederstand now why you found my previous ladies halfnaked :scream: ... Can't see anything to crit now , so I'm just patiently waiting for the next :)

Not a Stephstyled one I'm afraid - perhaps to boring?

you mean a pair of funky high heel boots for running in the wood ? In the case she would dare come out of the box tho ... :D

cheers ,

-Stéph

Greg-Jackson
07-07-2007, 09:31 AM
This looks like a very fun idea!

And it is progressing fast too! ^ ^

Keep up the cool work Gunilla!!

ania
07-07-2007, 09:48 AM
the lower arm of her left hand has some strange fold along it

the t-shirt looks a bit like plasteline, but I guess it's just the beginning

generally it's becomming really nice.

theuni
07-08-2007, 07:14 AM
I like her skirt :thumbsup: Is it gonna be transparent? :) btw, cool down a bit Guni, you`re overtaken us all :)

DaddyMack
07-08-2007, 07:50 PM
*shakes pom poms* Go Gunners Go Gunners Go Gunners

Shaping up very quickly in here G!.. This is looking serious already

Gunilla
07-09-2007, 06:45 AM
Gilles - thanks, maybe one day I will be :)

John - thanks!

Hej Carl! Are you in the challenge? Thanks for liking it so far.

Mark - Cheering is welcome, thanks :)

Steph - Ahh, well I don't think your characters are in the same field as my puffy lady. Halfnaked may suit them well (even if I've alwys wonder how the clothes stays in place when they move :D )

Greg - thanks!

Ania - thank you, and I agree. I'm not happy about the Tshirt. I'm now working on a blouse type top instead.

Stephan - haha, no transparent skirt I'm afraid. Maybe checkers? And OK, It seems I've cooled down now ;)

Robs - thanks mate! Your timelapses have been a good inspiration :thumbsup:

So, I've spent some time tweaking her, but not enough change for an update. What I plan to do now is trying to figure out the rest of the scene - the surroundings and the creatures. I'm really curious about that part :)

makaron
07-09-2007, 08:27 AM
well done gunilla :)
looking forward to the creatures now.. :bounce: that gonna be fun to see what you comes up with...

mr_carl
07-09-2007, 09:40 AM
hej hej,

Well I have enterd the challange but I havet uploaded anything just yet (maby today i will do that) because I´m on holyday at the moment so I don´t have access to my pc at the moment, but I can dom stuff here allso but at the moment it´smore holyday than challange work :wise: .
I do have a concept I like that I will upload later.

Now I what to see more progress from you, I´m eager to whats to come :scream:

Carl.

gpepper
07-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Swedish place around here ?

Gunilla
07-11-2007, 01:00 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1184158849_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1184158849_large.jpg)

First test for the setting for the scene - no creatures added yet.

varma
07-11-2007, 01:18 PM
The surrealistic style of yours is already showing and I like it! Kind of strange feel to this
environment, even it's at a very early stage! The color scheme and lighting is a looking
awesome!
Is the box deformed deliberately, or is it the camera angle fooling my eyes, It doesn't look
quite square!
Anxiouse to see more of this style!
Keep up!

Gunilla
07-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Mona - hej! So, what's happening with the strange GPs? And thanks, I'm still figuring out how to solve this.l

Carl - aha, will imidiately check to see if somethings in your thread now, cool :)

Gilles - yup. Soon we will all start to type strange signs like åäö :D

Mathias - Glad you like the start for it, I hope it gives a general sense of where I'm heading.
The box is square, so far - it's the angle tricking you.

mr_carl
07-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Nice progress there gunilla.

It think this will really tourn out a great image/animation I just cant wait to se it all move with this underwater seen really nice. :scream:

Carl.

mdavid
07-11-2007, 11:53 PM
I agree with Mathias - lovely surrealist feel about it. I like the curvy edge to the horizon too - don't know if that's going to be permanent but for now it looks really nice. I'm another one who thought the cube was a bit uneven - it seems higher on the right but if you say it's square then it must be and I consider myself tricked too! But it doesn't worry me because I have a hunch that everything in that little world you are making is a bit unusual!

handlebar
07-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Great feel to this Gunilla, very original aproach to the subject, has a nice interlectual, surreal feel to it.

Steve 8)

Zapan
07-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey Gunie :)

The scene is simply lovely , that's weird and magic at the same time . I'm wondering how you're gonna light the inside of the box ? ... Are you gonna put a sort of magic lamp ? or a torch ?

w00ting for more :)

cheers ,

-Stéph

shakes
07-12-2007, 08:08 PM
nice composition so far Gunilla!

MVDB
07-13-2007, 07:29 AM
This layout makes it all more clear, well.. not for her ofcourse.. hehe!

Modeling looks good and I like this idea/concept!

Gunilla
07-15-2007, 08:29 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1184488163_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1184488163_large.jpg)

After doing some thinking and tests on how to construct the creatures I found out that a possible way would be to make them as if cut from wood. Let me know what you think.

DaddyMack
07-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Definitely strange G! I see the motion too... like little flagellates. Love it:thumbsup:

Gunilla
07-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Carl - thank you, I'm kind of curious myself :)

Mark - thanks, and I guess you're right - this scene is turning out really strange now...

Steve - thanks!

Steph - yeah the light. I don't know - perhaps a candle? I was thinking of also add some stuff in there, food remains - maybe a coke can, pizza box or similar. We'll see. Perhaps it will all be clearer later on (and perhaps not, haha)

John - thanks!

Michael - Clearer? Well, let me know what you think about it now :D

So, I'm moving slowly at the moment but am having great fun with this one. Don't know what will be next step. Any suggestions?

Edit: thanks Robs, my idea is to make them with some kind of medieval construction feel. Somewhere between toys and machinery. :)

daWinky
07-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Morning!!

Oooh, some great progress here:thumbsup: , I'm amazed to see your character , very well done already and I can't wait to see the first creatures!
Hard to make any suggestions, I think this "cutted-of-wood"-look can be a nice idea, let's see some tests - I really like the look of your sketch for the first "monster".
Have you already decided to make them all in the same style or perhaps totally different in the appearance...? Well, no limits for the imagination in this concept I think:) !

Have a great start in the week!

-sabrina

mdavid
07-16-2007, 06:34 AM
I agree with Sabrina - great progress and excellent characters. I think that once the woodcut characters are animated then they'll look sufficiently 'alive' to be super effective and even more strange. I can also see now how the box containing the woman is also a means of separating the surreal observed world from the woman observer - very clever.

Zapan
07-16-2007, 11:33 AM
W00t ! :)

Ouh yeah candle could be really moody ! I love candle lights ...
The pizza boxes or empty cans should really funny , this girl will look like more and more like me :curious: ...
The sketch is also pretty cool ! I'm wondering how you manage to make weird creatures so cute ... what is your secret ? ... Have you thought about names yet ? :D

Have a great week

cheers ,

-Stéph

shakes
07-16-2007, 09:00 PM
I like the wood cut idea Gunilla- would make a nice contrast with the woman, and I love those woodcut puppets with moving armatures. you could also i guess get some great carving detail with zbrush.

JurajMolcak
07-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey gunnie! Do you know Karel Zeman´s movies? In The Fabulous World of Jules Verne there was some nice engravings like scenery combined with real action all in black and white. So you may try to make it greyscale just as a thing to think about :) Keep progressing, wanna see it moving.

Tremoside
07-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi Gunnie,

Just drop in and say hi :) Interesting concept you have. Really artistic. You can find the right way in a unique style. The girl model is cool too.

Go ahead!

Am on your side you know :thumbsup: :bounce:

Gunilla
07-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Sabie - hey, good to see you around... and where is your thread now? It's not to late to enter you know :deal:
Can't say I've decided so much yet - I sort of play this as I go ahead. And for the moment I'm a bit lazy :blush:

Mark - Good! I'm glad you already can see the main idea in this, to have a "real" world captured in a "surreal". Question is, how "real" is the "real" one anyway? The plan is to make the inside of the box in a very different mood from the surroundings. We'll see if I can pull it off.

Steph - haha, no no names yet. And I can't take credits for the cuteness of this monster - it's all due to the original creator.
And now you're making me real confused - do you wear a skirt when you sit in your box? :eek:

John - Happy you like it so far. Adding details in ZB is a possibility for sure, perhaps I also add some colors. I will decide once the environment have evolved some more.

Juraj - No, I'm afraid I don't know his work. I tried to find some clips on the net but no success. Greyscale could be cool, I was thinking of making the monsters in black and white, but perhaps it would be better for the whole scene. I'll give it a try later. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mark! :) So good to see you here. Thanks for cheering, your support is always of great value. Have you maybe considered joining us again?

So, this week have been filled with other stuff to do (gardening, sleeping, playing with the cat - yes, it's holidays) so no real progress here. I'm giving the environment another go and hope to have an update sometime during the weekend.

alvin-cgi
07-21-2007, 02:22 AM
Nice idea and ZB stuff, looking forward for your updates.:scream:

Gunilla
07-22-2007, 05:17 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1185124639_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1185124639_large.jpg)

Made some updates to the environment to see if the different elements can play well together. hmmm... might be tricky, but could work...

Alvin, thanks glad you like it so far.

mdavid
07-23-2007, 12:47 AM
It's always great fun to see another update from you Gunilla. I can see your point about trying to make the different bits work together. I'm now wondering if those black-and-white critters with all the legs could use just a little bit of color in one or two bits of them to bind them into such a colorful backdrop. Those funky trees are really nice too by the way. I guess you could have their branches held on with hinges like the critters if you wanted it to be really consistent - or maybe not - that might be overdoing it. Lovely stuff :thumbsup:

DaddyMack
07-23-2007, 02:23 AM
Hiya G!.. Love how it's all looking so far. the comp looks a little squashed atm and it might be worth looking at the option of going widescreen

Gunilla
07-23-2007, 04:45 AM
Mark - thanks for your always useful comments. Looking at this with morning fresh eyes I have to agree - the monsters need some color. If that's sufficient, perhaps I need to redo them alltogether.

Robs - widesceen is an excellent suggestion! I'll try it and see how it looks :)

OK - so I guess this day will be spent on some more tests.

mr_carl
07-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Hi Gunilla, WOW this is really turning out wunderfull and I would allso love to se a widescreen edition of the image. I think you should leav the B&W creaturese B&W it just makes the whole thing alot more strange and artistic.

Carl.

Zapan
07-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey Gunie !

Great update , mysterious and strange ...
The widescreen could worth a shot , especially if you're gonna include a lot of items in the environment. Plus I do think that is a better framing to tell a story ...

Glad to see you're still flying with this ...

cheers ,

-Stéph

daWinky
07-24-2007, 06:48 AM
Morning Gunie!

So you're lazy these days!?:scream: :D
But waiting for the update was worthwhile, the more I look at it, the more I like...A very surreal approach and strange not only in the behaviour, but also for the viewer, discovering the details and asking for the story behind:thumbsup: .
Again hard to make suggestions, but I also think a wide screen could be a good idea and just as Mark said, a little bit of color for the creatures...

And I'm still working to clean up my desk, I really hope it's not to late to join, perhaps next week:scream: ...

Have a nice day!

-sabrina

Try
07-25-2007, 06:45 AM
This is truly strange. An original Gunilla no doubt about it!!:)

I really like the woodcuttings like I told you before.
Maybe it would be nice if the whole landscape outside of the box was a woodcutting….?
That would make sense in a weird way…

I really love the work you have done on the Gunilla character inside the box. It is truly a challenge to make a pose like that.
Looks good apart from something about the neck and the heads position in relation to the body….?
Can’t really put my finger on it but there is something “strange” about it.:)

Looking forward to seeing more Gunny!

Gunilla
07-26-2007, 07:53 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1185436419_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1185436419_large.jpg)

Continued to work on the lady - this is just a small update showing her head. She begins to show the personality I want her to have now.

Gunilla
07-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Carl - thanks, I sort of like the idea of keeping them B&W so the solution may be to desaturate the whole background. Will try in next steps.

Steph - thanks, glad you like it! Yup, widesceen will be :)

Sabie - best news as of yet! There's no way back now, you have to start your own thread :deal: Glad you like it so far - and please don't ask me for a story just yet. It still remains to figure out for me as well.

Try - Good suggestion! I will definitely try a whole woodcut surrounding, that would make things more consistent. Thank you!

So, I have now spent the usual days with fighting the painful ZB3-Max-ZB2 workflow :banghead:
Since ZB3 still doesn't have the functions for creating normal and displacement maps (at least not the way I want to) I've had to make some reworking to find a way for it to work. So, next update will show her safely exported and imported in Max to be able to start working with the scene as a whole. Umm, sometime in the end of the week I think.

mdavid
07-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Wow Gunilla, that's impressive work. Cheering from me! I love the fact that you're modeling a more mature lady by the way, because apart from the fact that she somehow seems real and recognisable, it also suggests that she carries some wisdom and experience as she observes those crazy surroundings. That is really nice modeling work. Not a hint of a crit from me! :thumbsup: Now I wish you the best of luck working through the ZB3/ZB2/Max technobaffle.

Zapan
07-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Morning Gunie !

Yes , As Mark said , the mature lady is a really nice and unusual touch which is obviously a good thing for your concept ... she spend a lot of time in her box ... eating pizzas and diet Coke ... :)

Are you gonna sculpt the ear or maybe the hairs will cover it ?

Fly Gunie ... kvidde-vit ... (did I get that half right ?)

-Steph

shakes
07-28-2007, 11:02 PM
it's all coming together really nicely Gunilla. the scene looks great, and I love the start you've made on the face.

antone-m
07-30-2007, 07:58 AM
oh my God did I miss all the fun ??!!....I`am going to shot myself :sad:

Gunilla
07-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Mark - thanks! I'm really glad you like my choice of heroine for this ... I hope it will make the whole thing even more strange.

Steph - Don't mention ears! I can't hear you! :twisted: Naah, I hope to give her hair to cover that, maybe just a part of it will be seen. Yeah, some junk is planned to go with her in there. A pizzaslice could be fun to make.
And, kviddevit is totally right, again you impress me ;)

John - thanks buddy, hope you like the new additions too!

Tony - haha, no worry. There is still plenty of time here, so JKG (just keep going) :D

So, update took me longer than expected ... I wont go into detail on what mess I've been going through. I hope it's the end of it now :banghead:
All parts are now imported into MAX and the map creation can continue from within ZB2. The update has normal and displace made but not final version. Also started to texture the blouse. Hope you like it.

Gunilla
07-31-2007, 03:03 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1185894192_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1185894192_large.jpg)

Finally all parts of the lady safely transported into MAX. Now tweaking and texturing can begin.

antone-m
08-01-2007, 07:52 AM
hurray we have a complete lady here :bounce: ...........keep going waiting for more :thumbsup:

Tony - haha, no worry. There is still plenty of time here, so JKG (just keep going) :D

JKG............ lol nice one

mdavid
08-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Cool! Another update :thumbsup: I like the folds in the clothing. That tex on the blouse works really well too. Is that a procedural pattern or is it coming out of ZB?

Zapan
08-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Morning Gunie !!

Yay , great to know everyting safely moved to max !
She's shaping out so nicely .
I got the same question as Mark concerning the tex shirt , looking cool tho !

kviddevit, kviddevit ,

-stéph

Tremoside
08-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Hiiia Gunnie,

Nice progress on the lady. Like the face too! My only suggestion is about the camera angle and posing. It's a bit flat. Too side view. Perhaps some rotation on the ankle. Rotation on the hips can work. These are small tweaks, but really help to bring more life in her. I also think that the right elbow's pose needs some changes. Usually if your character's arm/leg is too paralell with the composition's frame is a bit "rigid".

Congrats 'bout the face! It's a nice model. She has a personality :thumbsup:

:wavey:

Gunilla
08-03-2007, 01:46 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1186148767_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1186148767_large.jpg)

Small update - added some hair shapes and a temporary default SSSshader that will be
replaced later. Also reworked the displacement to give her some more wrinkles.

Gunilla
08-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Tony - Yup, got some more now - hope you like :)

Mark and Steph - Well, the blouse texture gave me some headaches, I wanted it to have a pattern so I UnWrapped the base mesh to give it a nice pattern i PShop. Unfortunately ZB didn't want to make good maps with my UnWrapping (hah! As if it wouldn't be flawless or something!) :rolleyes: So, in the end I redid the blouse in Max using polypaint instead to be able to maintain the patterend idea. Thanks for cheering :thumbsup:

Tremo - thanks for (as always) some really good pointers. I'll se what I can do with the pose. Your suggestions makes a lot of sense. :)
Glad you like her, I'm beginning to feel some liking for her as well.

As you can see I continued to do some work on her. For the hair I will try Stephs method with planes for the first time and see if that will work well. I've made them as NURBS surfaces to avoid the UnWrapping thingy.
So, texture for hair next and then finally some color for her before moving on with the pose and the full scene. Good thing there is still plenty of time!

Thanks for stopping by.

mdavid
08-04-2007, 01:19 PM
In Australia we have an expression which is 'cool bananas'. Of course no one ever actually says it, well apart from me, and to be honest I doubt if most Australians would have heard of it either despite my valiant attempts to drop it into every spoken sentence. So when I see your new update it just screams the term 'cool bananas'. I love the look of the lady in your scene - she seems beautifully calm and wise and curious - which is a fine combination of attributes. The hair style is coming along well too. Thanks for your explanation of how you managed that blouse texture too. It's always fun to find out that kind of stuff, and it's also encouraging to know I'm not the only one who gets tripped up by walls of technobaffle

antone-m
08-04-2007, 04:34 PM
wow nice term indeed I like ....cool bananas...... lol nice one

Gunie you are doing an amazing job as always keep it up ......"waiting to see that hair painted "

DaddyMack
08-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Hiya G!... her face is really starting to show some personality and curiosity, loving it... her line across her neck from chin to blouse looks a bit straight... it probably would add a little benefit to show its curve into her chest a little. Love the clothes too:D

Zapan
08-05-2007, 01:07 PM
COOL BANANAS !!! :bounce:

Great update Gunie , the hair plans already gives her much more personnality ... Ok ... what will be her name .... food for thoughts ...:curious:

Since she prbably won't move a lot in her box , alpha plans for the hair seem to be the best option ... Altough , using max , I rather prefer polys plans (I can't stand nurbs in max but I don't really know why ) :scream:

Anyway I just can't wait to see alpha texture on it now ! :)

cheers ,

-Steph

ps : Nice ears :D

handlebar
08-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Wow! Great expression on your character, suits the concept perfectly. Wonderful stuff Gunilla!Steve 8)

JurajMolcak
08-05-2007, 03:42 PM
you just surprising me sista! After all those mini-micro-inner-life this cool charming lady. Somehow I am confused with her short skirt compared to her older looking face... well girlish lady sounds strange so you're good to go for the challenge, ha ha :) Keep up great work.

Gunilla
08-06-2007, 05:44 AM
Mark - "cool bananas"? How fascinating! We have the same expression here "koola bananer" - must be a intergalactic expression then :D
And about technofabble - I like to use the challanges as a reason to do things in ways I don't usually do ... so I guess it's asking for it. It feels good to find a solution though - only to get stuck on the next one :)

Tony - thanks, and hair is painted and will be shown in the next update.

Robs - good point, the angle and the blouse is covering that part up, will try and fix it for the next one :thumbsup:

Steph - haha, glad you like the ears. I spent hours on them to make them this perfect :D
I agree with you on NURBS in Max - never use them, but simple shapes as this was a good solution this time. Had some hard time getting rid of the hard edge in the opacity map. Funny, it wasn't enough setting it as non tiling I had to make the size of it 0,99 in height too. Wiered.

Steve - thank you! Glad you like her. She may be a cousin of your guy in some ways :)

Juraj - Glad you mention the skirt. My thinking is that making her clothes a bit girly (but not to much) will help make the scene slightly disturbing. So the blouse and skirt goes there, along with the flat, ballerina type shoes I plan for her. So, girlish lady trapped in box studying cartoon monsters sounds strange enough, you think? :D

So, I had hoped to have an update now, but I have some other things to finish first. Also I need to find a way to cut down on render times since it's already ridicilous.

Thanks for stopping by :wavey:

gpepper
08-06-2007, 06:50 AM
You do great things here Gunnie !
I was wondering myself what kind of animation you will do with this ?

daWinky
08-07-2007, 05:28 AM
Morning Gunie!

Puh, really late here again for some cheering, I see that I've missed a lot:scream: ...The face of the lady is really great, already a personality even without texturing:thumbsup: ! I'm curious to see now how the hairs will look with this method...I like the clothes and so no real crits for the moment, maybe it's a good idea to have another look at the neck/chin region, but that was already mentioned. So I'm just waiting for updates now!:bounce:

Have a great day!

-sabrina

Chiko
08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Interesting concept, I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished :D

I like how the old lady is coming along, and the lighting setup from inside the box is very nice as well.

Great work!

nwiz25
08-12-2007, 08:26 PM
very interesting concept my friend! :p details are already showing! :) ... very curious to see what's next ... good luck! :thumbsup: god bless! :love:

Lemog
08-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Héhé... hello Gunie...

I'm late, but very happy to be here to discover your idea, again very "Gunie" :scream: and especially impressed to see your actual skills with ZB... I found the girl really well made... 5 hats for you dear...
...and what to add considering the water universe planed ? just fun and decay... so... perfect then !

Now I subscribe here, I will be able to follow the next continuation :thumbsup:

All my wishes are with you honey :wise:

Gunilla
08-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Gilles - thanks! About animation, it will probably be something simple - a zoom out and some creatures moving. I'm actually thinking of perhaps moving this to the stills section, that would give room for more details, but on the other hand animating the critters could be real fun. :shrug:

Sabie - thanks! I've made some sort of hair now and it will be in the next update. With the release of the new ZB version I decided to make all detailing over again in ZB3. Good thing we have plenty of time...and so do you, now where is your thread again? :twisted:

Chiko - thanks and welcome - good to see a new face here :)

nwiz25 - thanks for cheering and I hope to have an update soon.

Lolo - :) Good to see you and thanks for liking her. But...5 hats? Whatever happened to 5 meatcakes? :D
The surrounding is still very vaguely planned, as ususal I'm trying to find new things to try for this. I've been checking out Krakatoa (http://new.franticfilms.com/software/products/krakatoa/overview/) and it seems so impressive... maybe it will be a good idea to include some cool particle systems. That would be real fun.

OK - so the last week I've been rather busy with some actual work, still have a few days left to do before jumping fully at this again. Maybe a small update could be made sooner, we'll see.
Thanks for the support :thumbsup:

Lemog
08-13-2007, 09:08 PM
The possibilities of this particle system seem really interesting.... don't know why, when I saw it, that make me think to the jellyfishes I saw during my holidays, the result on my camera was very original (for me, I'm not a specialist of jellyfish :scream: ), and maybe that could interest you and the universe you're creating in this challenge...
...I'll post you an example soon...

lotaH
08-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Hi Gunilla!

Great idea, good luck!

I visit you post ever!

[]'s

antone-m
08-22-2007, 05:21 PM
time for an update ............right Gunie ?

update :bounce: update :bounce:update :bounce: update :bounce:

alancamara
08-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Hi Gunie, just to say hello!

Great work and idea. Congrats

Alan

Nomad
09-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi Gunilla! Another challenge heh?

Cool idea, verry strange, verry interesting :thumbsup:
I`ll keep an eye on your thread :D
Good luck and have fun :bounce:

OKMER
09-02-2007, 01:06 AM
HI Gunilla!Can't really crit as i got rare knowledge of 3D.I really like the strange factor in your pic so!Nice pics and be'll watching for sure!Cheers!

varma
09-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Hei Gunilla! It's been a while since your last update! Hope everything is ok and that
you are about to show your next step soon!
May the photons light your way!

gpepper
09-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Nobody ?
In holidays ?

Gunilla
09-03-2007, 05:21 AM
Lolo - Jellyfish? Of course, I'd gladly see them - I'm always interested in slippery stuff :D
And my tests with the new particle system made me very impressed, I hope to find a reason to buy it... thanks for coming by, always a pleasure.

Diego - thanks and glad to see you here! I hope to have a small update later, sorry for the delay.

Tony - Oh dear! I ... can ... feel ... pressure :D

Alan - there you are! ... But, where is your thread? thanks for coming by :thumbsup:

Maciej - thanks!

Remko - thanks and glad to see you here :)

mathias - oh dear, yes it's been a long time now ... but I haven't given up yet. I think.

Gilles - Hi dear, and no. No holidays. I've been involved in a big freelance job the last weeks.

The job have been going really well, a set of 15 illustrations. So well that it looks like it will also be an animation. That would be great for me but not for this thread... I'm not sure how much time I will have the upcoming months. Anyway, I'm not ready to stop it yet - at least it could be finished as a still. And maybe there could even be an update here soon - Holy cow! :D

Lemog
09-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey... Morning Gunie... much pleasure to see you here now, glad to hear about this good job, and especially good to hear that you continue the challenge...

Here's a link to these jellyfishes...

JELLYFISHES (http://lemog.free.fr/divers/jellyfishes.rar)

Maybe that could be inspirating for the following, by the way, don't hesitate if you want these shots in full size... even if the conditions was not very good to take these photos...

Kisses... and let's play the next step :thumbsup:

Gunilla
09-03-2007, 03:50 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1188834620_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/18/12659/12659_1188834620_large.jpg)

Finally a small update. Started on the texturing of the lady.

Gunilla
09-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Lolo - thanks! Those are some really cool photos. I love the sense of motion in some of them. The colors are a bit funky, how did you make them so purple?
Anyway really nice inspiration:love:

varma
09-04-2007, 06:19 AM
Very nice facial expression, investigating and curious! She looks very fit for a 50 years
old!
The folds on the clothes fall very naturally and the shading is really good!
My only suggestion would be to tuck in the last row of edges on her sleeves to give
thichness to the shirt and cast shadow!
Great update Gunilla, keep up!

daWinky
09-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey there Gunie!

Glad to finally discover this update, so you're still on it! Even better to hear you've a lot of interesting work:) ...
I like the start of the texturing, the hair-planes-thing seems to work really good, hope you find the time to continue with this thread and waiting to see something from the creatures...

Have a nice day:wavey: !

-sabrina

medunecer
09-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Great to see you here again! Good luck!

mdavid
09-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Great to see another update! That deserves nothing less than a :thumbsup: and a :applause: The skin tex is working well

soapy
09-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey Gunilla, I finally found my way here. Really nice work on the modeling and texturing so far. I am looking forward to seeing the crazy creatures come to life.

alancamara
09-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey Gunie..

mate, impressive progress on your contest, I really loved it. Congrats

Alan

ChrisD01
09-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Hello Gunilla, I'm very curious too see your creature in 3D, good luck for the challenge:cool:

Gunilla
09-18-2007, 06:16 AM
Mathias - thanks, and good suggestion about the sleeves - I'll keep that in mind.

Sabie - thanks! And as you've noticed by now ... not much happens here. Hope to finish it later on.

medunecer - thanks and good seeing you too :)

Mark - thanks for your always great support :thumbsup:

Jim - me too, but it looks like it's not going to be just yet... great to see you around.

Alan and Chis - thank you both for cheering me on :)

So, with one month left I think it's pretty clear I wont finish this one. Not only do I have unusually much on my daily to-do list, but I also seem to have lost most of my motivation for this. I mean, what is the woman doing there in the first time? :eek:
It's not fun dropping out of a challenge, and if energy and time comes back in some weeks I may try to make something for the illustration area. But for now, I'll give this a rest.
Thanks to all who have given me good advice and support and I will keep hanging around watching your progess ... best of luck to the finishing line :)

gpepper
09-18-2007, 06:48 AM
So, with one month left I think it's pretty clear I wont finish this one. Not only do I have unusually much on my daily to-do list, but I also seem to have lost most of my motivation for this. I mean, what is the woman doing there in the first time? :eek:
It's not fun dropping out of a challenge, and if energy and time comes back in some weeks I may try to make something for the illustration area. But for now, I'll give this a rest.
Thanks to all who have given me good advice and support and I will keep hanging around watching your progess ... best of luck to the finishing line :)

So that's it ? You give up the fight ?
The spam team is leaving the contest one by one ! But I will be the last ! Your challenge is mine !
Sorry to hear that Gunnie ! I hope that you will find a great motivation for the next one !

soapy
09-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Oh well too bad, but no big deal. Don't feel bad that is the way it goes sometimes with these contests. I myself have failed to finish several times. These long contests are like the Tour de France bike race, you don't always get through it.

medunecer
09-19-2007, 06:43 AM
hey Gunie! I really hope you can finish it as a still. We all support you!

Zapan
09-20-2007, 07:17 AM
So, with one month left I think it's pretty clear I wont finish this one. Not only do I have unusually much on my daily to-do list, but I also seem to have lost most of my motivation for this. I mean, what is the woman doing there in the first time?

Morning Gunie !

Really sad news , but it's a very similar kind of situation over here . I hope everything 's ok with your work stuff , apparently, it is, so yay .
I guess for the next challenge , we will have to make a pact and glue ourselves to the chair .

Have a great week

cheers ,

-Stéph

gpepper
09-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Morning Gunie !

Really sad news , but it's a very similar kind of situation over here . I hope everything 's ok with your work stuff , apparently, it is, so yay .
I guess for the next challenge , we will have to make a pact and glue ourselves to the chair .

Have a great week

cheers ,

-Stéph

So, I'm not the only one who can't finish in time !

antone-m
09-20-2007, 09:31 AM
hmmm if everyone is not going to finish then who will win ???:bounce: lol couldn`t stop my self from asking

I`am really sorry to hear that Gunie but u know life comes first and I hope u had fun in this challenge

handlebar
09-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Sorry to hear you've pulled out Gunny, we've all been in the same boat at some stage or another, priorities should always come first. Thanks for the kind words and support you always give with these challenges, it makes for a wonderful experience.

Steve 8)

mdavid
09-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Yeah, as a survivor of my own monster freelance job I'm another one who understands how priorities sometimes have to change during these things. I enjoy the delightful angle you bring to these challenges so I'll miss your participation in this one. But hey, congratulations to you for how well your work is going!

agou
09-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi Gunie!
I've just seen your thread and I thought you really improved in modelling ,really. That's not a shame if you don't achieve this challenge - like many I didn't finish any, and sometimes I feel ashamed of it. But the most important is to meet people, chat with buddies and realize you progressed a lot!

Cheers!
:bounce:

Gunilla
09-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Gilles - uhm yeah, you're the remaining spam team member now. You have to finish for all of us this time :D

Jim - yeah, it's a pity though - I left when you started. Next time, eh?

Marco - aww, you really do support me well, thanks :)

Steph - yeah , I figured it was the same for you. How about for the next challenge, we glue ourselves together and make a team-entry? Steph-and-Gunie the Siamese twins? :D

Gilles - well you have to finish this time!

Tony - thanks and yes, I had fun - I always do around here!

Steve - Those words make me all warm ... thanks and see you in another :)

Mark - Thanks and yes, there is really not much choice really. I still enjoy hanging around watching you guys play :)

Sophie - thank you! And I agree, participating is the award here, even if I don't finish.

So, my freelance work is in a starting phase, it's an inbody journey so I will have lots of fun playing with cells and antibodies. My favourite topic so I'm happy.
As ususal it's been lovely being here, you guys are also the closest I have to workmates since I'm a one person business. Thanks for being such great workmates and good luck to those of you that will finish and also to those of you that have other priorities.
You rock :buttrock:

authentic
09-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Well Gunilla I see you can't finish it. :sad:
You'll finsh next one for sure.

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2007, 03:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.