PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behavior (Illustration) Entry: Paul Davidson

paulwdavidson
06-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Paul Davidson is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/view_entries.php?challenger=12594)

Latest Update: Final Image: Usobuki Oil
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1193325626_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4734033#post4734033)

paulwdavidson
06-25-2007, 12:14 PM
I thought i'd throw my hat in for this one. Looks very interesting. Last challenge for me was "Grand Space Opera" but sadly couldn't finish for a couple of reasons. I had loads of fun for "MachineFlesh" and "Master and Servant"........so here I go again.

Good luck to everyone.

It's good to be back.

paul

Tranchefeux
06-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Hello, glad you to re-examine for this new challenge, good luck :)

paulwdavidson
06-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks, nice to hear from you..

I'll be posting soon. As soon as I read the brief, I had the image i wanted to do straight away......once this happens, I can't get anything else. It's usually the right one, for me. I'm trying to get it done today (first sketch) if time allows.

Paul

flyingP
06-27-2007, 10:46 AM
As soon as I read the brief, I had the image i wanted to do straight away......

damn wish I was finding it that easy atm

MichaelZHsee
06-27-2007, 05:35 PM
great to have u in mate,havent seen u for awhile,looking forward to see what ya come up with:)
good luck in the challenge

paulwdavidson
06-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks........I'm looking forward to putting this idea down...just trying to find a couple of hours going spare, so that I can do the sketch.

Maybe tomorrow, i hope.

Paul

Slav
06-28-2007, 01:49 PM
expecting some good stuff here judging by the last entries :) gogo impress us!

MrFreeman
06-28-2007, 02:26 PM
:thumbsup: Great to see you back for another challenge Paul

As always I'm expecting to see some great work here and will keep an eye on this thread.

Good Luck

Mr Freeman :bounce:

Squibbit
06-29-2007, 12:05 AM
:thumbsup: Great to see you back for another challenge Paul

As always I'm expecting to see some great work here and will keep an eye on this thread.

Good Luck

ditto :thumbsup:

Zephyri
06-29-2007, 12:11 AM
I can't tell you how excited I am to see your thread here, Paul. Back in the Master Servant challenge, you were a great inspiration, and i have no doubts the same will happen again here. Eagerly awaiting the idea!

paulwdavidson
06-29-2007, 12:00 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1183114818_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1183114818_large.jpg)

"Usobuki Oil"

"Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil..!
Why do you need the oil?
To keep the harpoons from rusting..!"

The man oiling the harpoon is wearing an Usobuki mask, they are used in Japanese plays.
They humerously reflect the problems of the human condition.
The expression on the mask contributes to a sense of the absurdity of life..!

Strange Behavior!

I'm going to enjoy painting this one.....

Cheers

Paul

Slav
06-29-2007, 01:17 PM
bahaha, thats horrible! great rendition. man this is soo bad its good, i guess more is then next step? yes?! please? :P

paulwdavidson
06-29-2007, 01:54 PM
The aim is to make it quite macabre and creepy, especially since the Usobuki mask is smirking. I plan to make the setting seem like a rundown laboratory/ abattoir......rusty and leaking......very dirty and unhygienic. The brief states, one of the aims should be a statement that makes you stop and think.....the poor restrained Beluga Whale, being siphoned of it's oil should do that.......I hope.

Paul

Slav
06-29-2007, 02:04 PM
well i am sure it will be quite the work when its done, this is your final piece i assume? or do you have something else cooking on the back burner?

paulwdavidson
06-29-2007, 02:27 PM
No, Slav.......this is it (of course, there'll be streamlining with the design etc)

This came to me straight away......no room for anything else, this felt right for me to do.......i'm going to trust my gut feeling on this one. I'm happy and comfortable not exploring too many other ideas.... I do that for a living. This is more personal, so i'll feel less constrained executing this, therefore i'll enjoy it much more.......know what i mean?

Paul

OKMER
06-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil..!
Why do you need the oil?

Now that calmes!Just love it!
Excellent idea and cool sketch!
Looking forward for the rest!

flyingP
06-29-2007, 02:58 PM
nice idea paul :)

icedeyes
06-29-2007, 03:01 PM
great sketch but i cant help it feeling sad for the poor whales

digital-bobert
06-29-2007, 03:22 PM
lookin sweet Paul! nice sketch

duddlebug
06-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Nice idea! Humour with a conscience...? Now mine just feels vacuous and irrelevant. *sigh*

This should look great with your detailed rendering, best of luck with the painting! I hope stuff's good down in the south west?

paulwdavidson
06-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the early support, folks. Much appreciated.

Duddle, your stuff could never come under the heading of vacuous or irrelevant....too sharp for that!

North East..........Geordie-land! Whitley Bay.....by the sea......oh! subliminal messages coming from the sea..."save the whale"

Paul

paulwdavidson
06-29-2007, 03:47 PM
ps.......forgot to mention, it's going fine thanks..........you?

duddlebug
06-29-2007, 04:03 PM
OoH, i didn't notice the 'Whitley Bay'! (it used to be the South West didn't it? Bristol or summfink?) I was once a geordie, for a two years when i was five. My dad was a sales rep fro Scottish and Newcastle breweries! Yay!

Anyway, nuff chatting... Get on with some colouring in!!

(I'm good, and hoping i'll have time for a challenge...??)

Slav
06-29-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm happy and comfortable not exploring too many other ideas.... I do that for a living. This is more personal, so i'll feel less constrained executing this, therefore i'll enjoy it much more.......know what i mean?

yea, i am with you on that 110% i definatly know what you mean there. hehe, i am sure it wont be a surprise for you to find out that i chose the same path for this as well.

ekah
06-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Very cool concept. Awsome sketch too. Good luck. :)

paulwdavidson
06-30-2007, 10:27 AM
It's weird having sooo much time. Whenever I've enteres these before, it's always felt like I've had to go at it hammer and tongs! I suppose we can relax a bit more this time and enjoy the ride........!

It's going to be a good one.

Paul

overcontrast
06-30-2007, 11:04 AM
tisk tisk... poor balugas.... the concept is rock solid... and nice drawings mate... best ov luvk to ya:thumbsup:

Goro
06-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Hey Paul that's a nice concept! Looking forward to your sick detailing ;)

paperclip
06-30-2007, 09:11 PM
What goro said. Have you fixed on this concept yet? Where did you get that idea from- it seems so random! (unless you were walking along the pier one night and you saw a whale and a puddle of gasoline at the same time...)

paulwdavidson
07-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Paperclip....it involved a conversation I had years ago with a friend. I'm into nature (as inspiration for idaes and my art) and we got onto the subject of pointless killing to sustain human life......domesticated hearding has been going on for thousands of years.........some animals we simply do not need to be killing, in the name of "the survival of the human race"

The preying on certain animals is unacceptable..........so we happened to bring up this subject that i'm illustrating..........the "why do you kill whales....?" point was raised.

There you have it..........it's something that popped into my mind when i read the brief...........I don't know!

Does that explain it, or am i waffling?

Paul

flyingP
07-01-2007, 08:51 AM
or am i waffling?

yes :D ...... but go with it, it's a cool and clever idea packed with irony, personally I think it hits the brief very well :thumbsup:

paulwdavidson
07-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks, mate.
Much appreciated.
Paul

Essen
07-01-2007, 02:44 PM
I really love the idea, but I think its quiet hard to understand the paradox in the picture. You should lead the attention of the viewer more to the important parts like the oilcan.

paperclip
07-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Paperclip....it involved a conversation I had years ago with a friend. I'm into nature (as inspiration for idaes and my art) and we got onto the subject of pointless killing to sustain human life......domesticated hearding has been going on for thousands of years.........some animals we simply do not need to be killing, in the name of "the survival of the human race"

The preying on certain animals is unacceptable..........so we happened to bring up this subject that i'm illustrating..........the "why do you kill whales....?" point was raised.

There you have it..........it's something that popped into my mind when i read the brief...........I don't know!

Does that explain it, or am i waffling?

Paul

That's an excellent explanation and I think you should include it with the final submission (if you go with this one, that is) as it makes the whole story make a little more sense. Your concept is very strong, as is your sketch. Now I'm all curious to see how this goes. I agree with the above guy- couldn't hurt to hint more at the conservation issue here, possibly having a 'ksave the whales' protest newspaper clipping covered in darts on the wall or something. :scream:

paulwdavidson
07-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Interesting points....it's very helpful to guage from people whether or not the point you are trying to get across is reading. I suppose after considering the point about the oil can not playing as big a part as it should (visualy) I'll emphasize it more in the next stage.
At this stage (with the core idea there for me to look at, and consider) I'll plan what to layer it with next, as far as visual elements to compound the idea, and tell the "story" more.

Thanks.

Paul

Slav
07-01-2007, 03:18 PM
well i think the idea is REALLY strong and thought provoking, its easy to connect the image to what you just explained i completely agree with theresa, your piece instantly gains unprecedented value with an idea that doesnt merely make you say aww or wow. you gots support. NOW DRAW DAMN YOU! hehe, i just want to see this piece further along!

any who cheers man ill be back.

Nichod
07-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Great concept. And a truly sad topic. Even at such an early stage it causes an emotional reaction.

beelow
07-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Just browsing through this thread reminds me of 'Children of Men' with Clive Owens. I am a strong believer in the respect of what earth delivers us. There is more than enough food and we discard more than we consume. In my tradition, the Navajo believe in using everything that we kill. Skin for drums, blankets, clothing, Bones for weapons, for example. I tell you my tribe to assure you that I am what I claim. I am also a jigga man, hov! Pimp this piece out. I will enjoy seeing this one going to finished. Loved your Master and Servant piece Paul, by the way! It's gonna be interesting watching your process again. Good luck! :thumbsup:

paulwdavidson
07-04-2007, 05:09 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1183565356_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1183565356_large.jpg)

Quick addition. I intended to submit the final line art as the next stage, but since i'm only going to have time for around 50mns a day, it would be forever between major submissions. So i'll post my baby steps.
As you can see from the last pose of the character, i've changed his angle so he's more engaged with the activity of oiling the harpoon.....siphoned from the Beluga whale. The oil can is more central to the composition as well.
More soon.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

Paul

walrus
07-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Nice line art and shading so far, Paul. Looking good! One part that feels a bit awkward is the positioning of the left arm and hand. Try as I might, I can't get the back fo my wrist to touch my shoulder like that. And the hand seems turned away from us in a way that doesn't seem completely believable.. or even necessary. Perhaps rotating his hand and arm around so that the fingers are facing us more, bringing his elbow back behind him instead of at his side could help...? Anyhow, good luck with it, especially with what little time you have to spend. (although 50 minutes a day over 4 months is a lot of time when you add it all up!)

paulwdavidson
07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Cheers, I fully intend to correct that. As soon as I did the drawing something was odd........i'll fix it at the next stage.

Paul

icedeyes
07-05-2007, 09:58 AM
except from what warlus said (that i personally might have missed), i think its looking very good... the mask kind of gives him the Jason or leatherface look... madness etc. that is...

keep it up

TheFirstAngel
07-09-2007, 12:13 PM
very cool project. great to see ya join another challenge, thou i enjoyed your works in those you were in. looking forward to your next 50 mins, best of luck, have fun and bring em on ^^
cheers :beer::buttrock::wip:

BaronImpossible
07-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Looking good so far, can't wait to see how it progresses. You're like me, working in stops and starts! :) Good luck!

paulwdavidson
07-09-2007, 03:08 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1183990118_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1183990118_large.jpg)

Pencil scribbling :)

"Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil..!
Why do you need the oil?

Kei-Acedera
07-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Very nice line art! But poor whale!

musi
07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
WOW! :buttrock:

And the subject too!

NinjaA55N
07-09-2007, 09:59 PM
hi paul! so nice to see u back in these challenges! the pencil work is once again marvelous, the story about needing oil for harpoons is great as well, although its a bit cruel.. but we like cruel, bwahaha! The only thing that bothers me a bit at the moment is the mask that the guy is wearing. Very unique to me though, but maybe too strange. Just my opinion ofcors. good luck with ur further development!

cbernardo
07-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Hahaha! What wacky person you did! I like it! :buttrock:

Cheers,
Carlos

icedeyes
07-10-2007, 08:37 AM
the whale looks trully beautiful... so much that i really feel sorry for it...

keep it up..

paulwdavidson
07-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks.......much appreciated :)

TheFirstAngel: Thank you very much....I'm very excited about this one.

BaronImpossible: Cheers, I'll be ok for time, I suppose it allows you to see it with fresh eyes each day.....fixing any mistakes.

Kei-Acedera: Yes, poor whale....that's the motivation for the art.

musi: Thank you very much.

NinjaA55N: Nice to hear from you, alson. The mask is an Usobuki mask, they are used in Japanese plays. They humerously reflect the problems of the human condition.
The expression on the mask contributes to a sense of the absurdity of life..! As well as looking freaky, I believe it fits perfectly into the actions of the guy..........a pointless act.

DogMan3d: thanks

icedeyes: I feel really sorry for it as well. My aim is for everyone to feel the same by the time i've finished.

More soon.

Paul

NinjaA55N
07-10-2007, 12:12 PM
aha, I see now. I acctually thought it would be something like that, that u r aiming somewhere in that direction, just didnt know the whole story behind the mask :) thnx for the explanation!

flyingP
07-10-2007, 12:33 PM
you really do draw beautifully dude, nice updates :applause:

Quills
07-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Looking wicked. What do you feed the whale on? Blubber?

I guess he's a baby whale - his expression his heartbreaking. Great stuff,

Q

paulwdavidson
07-10-2007, 01:26 PM
flyingP: Thanks for the compliment, you know me, I love working with a pencil :)

Quills: I'm attempting to portray the Whale being kept alive artificially, fed by the sort of tubes etc you'd get in a hospital...in this case being kept alive in the most horrible way to get my point across. It's a Beluga whale, they're not that big anyway. That's half the reason I chose it, simply from a compositional point of view..plus, with Beluga's being white, it has the symbolism that i require, because sometimes white is used to sygnify death.

Thanks for your comments.......much appreciated.

Paul

Quills
07-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah I should have put a ;) in after blubber - just had the same kind of cyclical thing going on...you feed the whale with whale blubber to keep it alive to kill more whales to feed the whale...and so on. So fear not, the artificial life system thing does come across. Its a cool idea anyhoo and the cutest whale I've seen for some time! :)

Q

paulwdavidson
07-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Quills: Oops!, I get you now....chuckle......it's funny, even with emails etc sometimes they can be read wrong.

Thanks for that

Paul

minminxu
07-10-2007, 05:11 PM
ah ah .....the picture is well done....:D ... very very nice scene (conception) design...good luck.....Mr.Paulwdavidson....:bounce: :bounce:

polygonwarrior
07-11-2007, 09:35 AM
hey cool work.will surely follow ur thread.Best of luck buddy:thumbsup:

Tranchefeux
07-11-2007, 12:35 PM
That takes form, super technical pencil. to follow :)

nwiz25
07-11-2007, 07:32 PM
mindblowing sketch! :eek: and very artisitic .. love the details already! :love: :eek: waiting to c more dude! :p

good luck to u! :thumbsup:

paulwdavidson
07-16-2007, 02:11 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1184591505_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1184591505_large.jpg)

"Usobuki Oil"

"Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil..!
Why do you need the oil?

The man oiling the harpoon is wearing an Usobuki mask, they are used in Japanese plays.

Line art..tonal guide, ready for painting.

Ramitxon
07-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Fantastic linework! :eek:, I wish I could finish my own sketches to that level.

Nigio
07-16-2007, 04:41 PM
WOW!! Awesome work. The tonal guide is so precise...
I see you work in a classic way of painting, I love it.
Can't wait to see the color process.

sgw
07-16-2007, 06:02 PM
This is great! I love the mask on the figure. It makes the image for me.

icedeyes
07-17-2007, 08:48 AM
I cant even begin to tell you how much i am impressed by your pencil work... poor little whale... keep it up

paulwdavidson
07-18-2007, 04:51 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1184773876_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1184773876_large.jpg)

Starting to blot in some colour to get away from that intimidating white. Things will shift and sway....I've got an image in my head, but i leave it open for interesting new discoveries.

Paul

"Usobuki Oil"

"Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil..!
Why do you need the oil?

painpainting
07-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Wonderful, great work!

I really love the artwork and colours and of course the idea. One of my favourites from the different images I've seen so far. Wish you good luck!!

----
Arne

Slav
07-18-2007, 08:04 PM
so it begins. work you magic man!

icedeyes
07-19-2007, 08:28 AM
The little whale is glowing....:eek:

green gives me an uncomfortable feeling but it works for this image... you should use it in your final coloring... keep it up

DrFx
07-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi Paul, and thanks for the comment to my stuff!
First of all, great idea: way to make everybody else's work seem shallow!
The line drawing and colours are quite amazing, too. The only criticism I have is that the beluga's body as seen through the windows looks disjointed. Perhaps it could be the refraction, but it still desn't look refracted.
And don't forget, belugas are mammals and have to breathe air, so perhaps you could connect an air tube to its back.
That's all the crits I have, so I'll just leave a fanboy comment... your illustration rocks!

paulwdavidson
07-23-2007, 03:32 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1185201166_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1185201166_large.jpg)

Hi, it seems like I would be posting once a week if i waited before loads more was done. As i mentioned earlier, I only get a small pcket of time to work on this. Here I'm getting close to finishing the Beluga.......hope you like. Tubes and wires next.

Paul

"Usobuki Oil"

"Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil..!
Why do you need the oil?

jasondesigns
07-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Your piece is simply beautiful. I love the style color and execution top notch work. :applause: :applause:

icedeyes
07-24-2007, 08:57 AM
looking nice... the little whale looks very very nice BUT it still feels like its glowing somewhat... maybe thats the effect you are aiming for... the light on the mask works very nicelly too.. keep it up

paulwdavidson
07-24-2007, 09:06 AM
That is the look i'm going for.....not from the whale, the whale isn't glowing.....there's light inside the containment unit. A lot like the luminescence created in aquariums.

I hope that gives you a clue at this early stage.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Paul

W-I-L
07-27-2007, 10:18 AM
this idea is chilling. really chilling. very stong image. notihing to crit. will be following progress

Ligo
07-27-2007, 10:44 AM
The Creepy atmosphere is terrific, and speaking about ignoring the world to take care of his machines ;) Good sketching as well. Keep it flowing!

Pimpfish
07-27-2007, 11:03 AM
"Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil..!
Why do you need the oil?

Says so much about humanity!

Only thing critically i can see is the whale looks a little wonky? Is it because of the perspective distort in the glass? Your lighting is looking spot on.

Cobster
08-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Hi Paul,

This is a thoughtful and well-executed entry and it's great to see that it's from someone up the road from me. I'll be following this one.

Best of luck,
Claire.

sadrack
08-28-2007, 01:14 AM
paul

is a pleasure look humanoide style, like 70's europeen comics, nice tone efects to separate form, is a realy, "realy" great illustration, good luck.

headtrip
08-28-2007, 02:12 AM
Very creepy.... I like it. Excellent colour palette and the lighting creates a great mood.

I hope you don't inspire any corporations to take this idea to production! :) But I'm sure this artwork will inspire all of us...

Best of luck

krrrk
08-28-2007, 03:22 AM
wow

this looks great as well
seems like i've been missing out on some great threads lately
hadn't noticed it before
swweeeeeet
great pencilwork
and the colours are coming along nice as well
keep it up :lightbulb

olipaf
08-28-2007, 11:41 AM
love the sketches and final comp...don't know how much futher you 're gonna push that piece...but i like it as is ( sketch line showing)...such a strong atmosphere already.
my favorite so far...

OKMER
08-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Don't know if I said this lately but hey wowww,Love it!!!THe lightning is starting to pop out really well!And great pencilwork indeed!Cheers!

paulwdavidson
08-31-2007, 02:24 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1188566639_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1188566639_large.jpg)

"Usobuki Oil"

"Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil..!
Why do you need the oil?

Been a while since i last posted.....been busy. No startling change.......still a lot of tinkering. Nice to be back at it....and i've noticed a lot of people have steamed ahead

paulwdavidson
09-05-2007, 02:03 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1188997413_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1188997413_large.jpg)

"Usobuki Oil"

Mucking about with the general feel, getting a taste for what's right and what's wrong. Feeling my way around. The back wall will be the last thing i do, that'll be the final element to compliment the colours that i stick with.

Thanks for looking

Paul

"Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil..!
Why do you need the oil?

walrus
09-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Hey, Paul, looking good! Glad to see ou're still finding some time for this!
THe whale looks terrific. In a way it's a shame that the mould and grime on the window blocks part of his body, but they are great effects and really fit the scene too. I like the little specular hilights you have around from that one lamp on the left, like on the oil-can. They really accentuate the metallic parts. Might even be nice to push those shines a bit further, make them sharper and shinier given how much metal is around. Anyhow, just a thought. Looking great, and plenty of time for more. Good luck!

paulwdavidson
09-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Hi Walrus, always nice to hear from you. The mould etc on the glass will be dropped back slightly because i need to show the pipes and tubes coming out of the whale. I'll be adding water leaking out of the container as well.

Thanks again

Paul

nethken
09-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Simply stunning artwork, and i love the chicken and egg paradoxical absurdity which lies behind it! Your piece engages the audience on more than one level - fantastic!

best of luck :D

choptider
09-07-2007, 08:24 PM
great work!!
i'm happy to see a old challenger!

Ferx
09-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey Paul, that its a great painting, i really like your lighting and the design of the machine, nice!! and the usobuki mask is a very original detail, cool !! :thumbsup: Perhaps another masks hanging over the machine, with another expressions for the other steps to obtain oil ( the "hunting whales mode" mask.. ), only a comment :) Again awesome work Paul !! Cheers :beer:

paulwdavidson
09-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys, nice to read your comments.

Good luck

Paul

minminxu
09-08-2007, 09:45 AM
glad to see your update....Mr.paulwdavidson....but I couldn't see some pictuers....

Jeffparadox
09-08-2007, 09:46 AM
wow. Sophisticated lighting and a very strange theme indeed. This is a great illustration, good luck with the voting!

blakbird
09-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Very interesting approach to the modern life's dilemma

icedeyes
09-09-2007, 02:48 AM
i really like the rust effect and the mood that the small light creates...

paulwdavidson
09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys. Still have a hell of a lot of work to do on this. First I'm going to work into the background with an old tiled wall that's really dirty and unheigenic (at least that's what was im head at the beginning......it might change) then i have the wires and bubbles etc the water cubicle will be leaking ...aaargh, i could go on and on, let's just say there's a lot of things to do. I've only started to add the colour to certain areas.......there's a fair bit of detail to get in there yet.............whatever...... push on.

Thanks again

Paul

cabertevon
09-17-2007, 04:12 AM
Strange behavior indeed. :)

Another excellent piece in the making.

paulwdavidson
10-18-2007, 05:32 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1192725145_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1192725145_large.jpg)

"Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil..!
Why do you need the oil?

Have'nt worked on this.....been too busy. Nearly finished..phew! with under 2 weeks left.
These last few months have flown!
Good luck to everyone.

Paul

walrus
10-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Congrats for finishing, Paul. I'm glad you managed to squeeze out a little more time to finish this one up. Really nice textures and mood with the lighting and the palette. Nice work!

Hideyoshi
10-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Was great in the beginning, still is! :)
You made a grea piece here!

paulwdavidson
10-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the compliment...........i still have some work to do on this, but i will finish comfortabley.

Thanks

Paul

icedeyes
10-19-2007, 03:45 AM
congratulations on the final image Paul... it looks amazing... I really couldn't find anything that i would improve... good luck

Ferx
10-19-2007, 03:59 AM
Hey Paul, you have a great concept, a concept with a humor touch, but that tells a true and really strange behavior. I like a lot the usobuki mask symbolism, you lets the viewer see through the mask or remove the mask, great!!

I love the lighting for the scene, beautiful "cold" mood that emphasizing the concept, only a little warm light, and you again lets the viewer with the decision, "that lamp use beluga´s oil??". The lamp detail its really great!!

Congratulations Paul, awesome art work !! Bravo!! :applause:
Best of luck ! .... and time for well deserved beers and a big bottle of tequila !!:D Salud amigo y mucha suerte!! - Cheers mate!! :beer:

Tranchefeux
10-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Large final as usual, I particularly like the atmosphere which this releases.
Good luck with the judges.

Kei-Acedera
10-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Wow lookin really sweet Paul! I love the lighting!

Goro
10-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Hey Paul! Congrats on finishing man.
It's an awesome piece! Lovely piece! Good luck!

paulwdavidson
10-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks to all. Now that i have a bit of spare time, i'll visit more threads that i've been neglecting...sorry.

I still need to do a little bit of work this week.....tweaking details and the Beluga tank etc

But no stress, just polishing.

Good luck to everyone.

Paul

musi
10-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Great finish, Paul! Congrats!
Love the mood of it and the behind idea!
Good luck with judging!

paulwdavidson
10-25-2007, 04:20 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1193325626_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/19/12594/12594_1193325626_large.jpg)

"Usobuki Oil"

"Why do you kill Whales?
For their oil..!
Why do you need the oil?

Pointless killing to sustain human life......domesticated hearding has been going on for thousands of years.........some animals we simply do not need to be killing in the name of "the survival of the human race"

That seems like Strange Behavior to me.

That's it!

I enjoyed tinkering with this....hour here, an hour there........stress free. I wish my professional career was more like this.

Anyway, good luck and see you for the next one.

Paul

Slav
10-25-2007, 09:46 PM
this is top notch. now step on the gas. i want to see it done! :D

nethken
11-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Love the final image, best of luck to you!

OKMER
11-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Yap top notch indeed!!Best of luck to you and hope well meet up again next time.Cheers!!!

paulwdavidson
12-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks guys.
Just looking back in...........anything been happening? Who was the winning entry?

Paul

element5
12-20-2007, 12:33 PM
awesome final image as usual, great idea and humorous story.

Cheers
Mark :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
12-20-2007, 12:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.