PDA

View Full Version : Guinness matters

pwhittaker
06-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Hi,

First time poster, long time lurker!

Maybe you guys might have some insight on how to best approach simulating a certain famous drink's settle:

http://www.martellomedia.com/downloads/settle.mov

(H264 encoded, needs QT7).

At first look it's something I'd imagine FumeFX would be good at...but does anyone have any other ideas on getting that organic, layered swirling motion going? Maybe even a bit of Krakatoa action for the beeelions of particles :-)

noouch
06-25-2007, 03:22 PM
I think a distance limited wind with turbulence combined with a drag space warp should get you the desired results. I'll try it out when I get home...

BrandonD
06-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Yes, but the fluid motion would be tricky. As mentioned, one way would be a distanced-based turbulence with increasing drag. Unfortunately the particles won't seem "connected" at all. For that you'd probably want to go the fluid route with FumeFX, but this would be tricky too as you'd use the fluid system to generate a velocity field to run particles through.

pwhittaker
06-25-2007, 05:57 PM
useful suggestions, thanks guys. using fumeFX to control particles was my first idea. Kresimir from Sitni Sati also suggested Realflow perhaps. I'll get a chance to sit down tomorrow and work on this in anger!

noouch
06-26-2007, 09:16 AM
There's a pflow operator called Keep Apart that would do this... I've already used it to make a simple (and not very accurate) fluid sim...

joconnell
06-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi,

First time poster, long time lurker!

Maybe you guys might have some insight on how to best approach simulating a certain famous drink's settle:

http://www.martellomedia.com/downloads/settle.mov

(H264 encoded, needs QT7).

At first look it's something I'd imagine FumeFX would be good at...but does anyone have any other ideas on getting that organic, layered swirling motion going? Maybe even a bit of Krakatoa action for the beeelions of particles :-)

Hi Peter,

I did the guinness rugby commercial with the people made from the swirls - fume fx for the main cloudy stuff and then some particles fed through the fume sim composited over the top to add in the small bits of grain that you see.

pwhittaker
06-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi John,

Very nice work on that ad! Also the Coors ad, you did that as well? I made the connection when I saw your krakatoa motion capture test in the ad :-)

We've been looking at filming the settle as well, but its going to be difficult given that we need a 2k wide, 4k high perpetual settle. Maybe it's possible, but I'm pursuing the CG alternative at the same time.

peter

joconnell
06-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Yup, coors was piranha bar too with a lot of fume, thinking particles and pflow. The 4k thing doesn't sound too bad - cloudy stuff like guinness or smoke scales up very nicely and the little bits of grain could render quite sharply at 4k to bring back in some small crisp detail - shooting it at 4k means shooting on a film camera turned on its side which is a pricey proposition considering the costs of a shoot and telecine (no one in ireland can scan 4k).

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2007, 03:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.