PDA

View Full Version : Apple mixing with Intel

danhua76
03-20-2003, 05:19 PM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,939886,00.asp

hmmm...i wonder how valid this is? if this is true, then we are going to have some very interesting times ahead of us in the pc industry.

:hmm:

Sieb
03-20-2003, 05:46 PM
It would be a good move considering the slow adoption of Itanium itself, which means Apple could capitalize on it. Apple needs a good move like this to catch up. I have no faith in Moto chips anymore (nor does Moto I think). But, who knows..

dmeyer
03-20-2003, 05:52 PM
It'll never happen. Dvorak's known for posting articles like this, which drive the site's traffic through the roof.

Itanium chips themselves start at about $3K, not to mention a dual system.

CgFX
03-20-2003, 06:27 PM
Forget costs, politics, software, etc.

The power and cooling requirements of current and near-term IA64 processors make their use in a desktop (comared to a workstation) completely out of the question.

Hammer/IA32-64 and Intel's (badly kept secret) comparable architecture are the only reasonable way to get 64 bit to the deskop. Well, except for MIPS (which has a different set of issues).

GregHess
03-20-2003, 09:37 PM
That guy needs to be shot.

He makes tomshardware look like a reputable site.

Everything mentioned on the site is false. Everything guessed at is false. Everything thought about mentioning about possibly writing about in that article is false.

Apple hasn't even really considered an Intel solution. All my sources (and those available at other online sites) point to either an AMD (Athlon-64) or IBM (Power 970) solution as future Apple CPU's.

Needless to say, we'll know sometime in April/May.

danhua76
03-20-2003, 09:42 PM
hmmm...that's very interesting. i think it would make sense that we have sometype of black ball list that lists all sources and sites that are usually misleading/false so that viewers (like me) don't get mis-informed about technology and where it's heading.

but i guess these sites are just voicing their speculation, albeit these speculations don't having any solid backing to them :shame:

as said earlier, we'll find out in april/may.

elvis
03-20-2003, 10:35 PM
i was wondering when someone would post an article like that.

apple have been quoted/accused/blamed of investigating every single chip out there from boring old x86 through to IBM PPC 970, athlon64 and now even itanium.

quite frankly these rumours are starting to bore me. i certainly think apple are wise fo investigating alternate platforms, but i just wish the rumour hounds would quit all this BS.

Sieb
03-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Its all part of it.. Every 4-6 months we get new hoopla over where Apple will go next. Truth be known, there are x86 versions of OSX running at Apple HQ, but I don't forsee a hardware change to 86 until we finally hear Apple has nixed Moto. The most I hear is everyone waiting on the G5 series. Considering the 17" PBs are just now getting out, I doubt a platform change is on hand for the remainder of the year.

elvis
03-21-2003, 12:06 AM
the current series of high-end G4's are great, i'll admit that, but they are limited in what their maximum clockspeed can achieve. very high-end P4 systems (for the same price) will perform the same or better than apple in many once conisdered "apple-only" applications (adobe apps is the particular focus of my firm). so the argument is when you are working in one or two applications all day, why bother with a different platform for the same price if there's no performance gain?

well, this is how my management here think at least.

still, i firmly believe there's no excuse for not having a multiplatform environment these days if your tech support staff are happy to support each one. i'm a cross platform windows/mac/linux user and support tech, and have all three happily functioning within one office, and all completely transparent to the users. the mac guys wouldn't know their files are sitting on a windows server somewhere, and the other IT guys happily plug away in linux for their security monitoring while the moron bosses grin at their shiny new dell laptops running WindowsXP.

beaker
03-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Dvorak is a known troll. If you look at his past articles every 6 months he posts something about apple going out of business. He has been recycling the same opinion for the last 10 years. The guy is like Howard Stern to the computer industry. He posts losts of uninformed bias extreme articles just to get a rise out of people.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.